Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gift for a couple with no registry?

2»

Re: Gift for a couple with no registry?

• This was posted unprompted, along with the proper attire to wear, reminding women that NO ONE should wear white and letting people know that the bridesmaids would be wearing burgundy, so women might also want to avoid that color.

To say this women is obsessed with her wedding is an understatement...she posts about how many days are left, about fittings, the music at her wedding...SEVERAL times per day.  When the mother of the flower girl posted about her being ill, she responded by asking if she'll be okay for the wedding...she's just over the top. I feel bad for her when her wedding is over because what will she do then????  But I digress...

Her attitude makes me want to give her a $100 gift card to Dollar General, but I'm going to give her a cash gift with personalized wine glasses...
    Why aren't you declining??? Holy hell this is awful.

@snowywinter even if a bunch of people asked, to post that as a status update is super rude. First, rarely are all your fb friends invited to the wedding, so you are talking about you're wedding to purple who aren't invited. Second, even if every single guest asked where she is registered, she should adviser them individually, not as a FB status.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• This was posted unprompted, along with the proper attire to wear, reminding women that NO ONE should wear white and letting people know that the bridesmaids would be wearing burgundy, so women might also want to avoid that color.

To say this women is obsessed with her wedding is an understatement...she posts about how many days are left, about fittings, the music at her wedding...SEVERAL times per day.  When the mother of the flower girl posted about her being ill, she responded by asking if she'll be okay for the wedding...she's just over the top. I feel bad for her when her wedding is over because what will she do then????  But I digress...

EWWWWWWWWWW
    This gal has no social graces.

Just give her whatever you think is appropriate. Bleh.
  • They said they prefer non gift gifts.  And that they welcome full envelopes.  And they were not joking around.
    Okay, I'm dumb. What does 'full envelop' mean? Like open that sucker wide and stuff it with as much cash as possible? Who the heck would actually expect that as a gift? "Gee I hope someone gives us a TON of cash in an envelope." Seems presumptious.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • They said they prefer non gift gifts.  And that they welcome full envelopes.  And they were not joking around.
    Okay, I'm dumb. What does 'full envelop' mean? Like open that sucker wide and stuff it with as much cash as possible? Who the heck would actually expect that as a gift? "Gee I hope someone gives us a TON of cash in an envelope." Seems presumptious.

Pretty sure that's exactly what she means.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Pretty sure that's exactly what she means.
    I'd be tempted to gift an envelope full of change.
  • My natural inclination is to give a check, albeit one for fewer dollars than I'd give a non-tacky friend. 

If you're cash-adverse, I like the idea of tickets or gift certificate to an event you know they'd enjoy (sports, the symphony, etc) or restaurant gift cards (Lettuce Entertain You, in my area at least, is very popular and gives people a lot of dining options). 

• Not to go off topic, but this really reminds me of someone who posted on FB how excited she was for her shower because she couldn't wait to see what gifts everyone would get her. For real. 
  • Not to go off topic, but this really reminds me of someone who posted on FB how excited she was for her shower because she couldn't wait to see what gifts everyone would get her. For real. 
    Nooooo!  That's something you're totally allowed to THINK, but you don't put that out there for the world to see.  This is what is wrong with social media.  People post every thought they have.
    Yeah, and what if someone gives a cheque with a bunch of zeros on it? That might be better than a full envelope ;).

OP's friend sounds way tacky.

Gifts are never required and registries are never required. Whether or not the B&G have a registry, a guest can still choose to buy whatever they want.

Even if someone hints that they want cash, I don't think it's rude to give a physical gift- it's a gift! *You* don't get to dictate that. I also know a couple of people who do not give cash as a gift, ever.

Sounds like the OP has a gift in mind. But in general, some ideas might be a restaurant gift card, photo frame for a wedding photo, something that you have in your house that you LOVE and think your friend should have too, or something you'd like to get for your friend that you know they wouldn't otherwise buy for them self.

We had a registry and had 2 couples buy us gifts not from our registry. We love them! They were both very nice gifts, one was a bit more fancy/unique/something we wouldn't have bought and the other a bit more practical, although still very nice, and we get lots of use out of them.
  • Gifts should never be expected. Having a registry is saying 'if someone chooses to buy me something, this is what I would like'. It is a given that every single person in the entire world would like money, so it's never necessary to tell people that you like money. That's like announcing that you breathe oxygen. So if someone wants to give you something, but doesn't know what to buy (either because you don't have a registry, or because they don't want to pick something out they think you'll like) then they will give cash. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards