Wedding Etiquette Forum

toasts?

I am MOH and FI is best man in our friends' wedding in Oct.

Do we offer to give toasts at the reception or wait for them to ask us if they want?

FI and groom are actually cousins, so they've always been pretty close, so I've only known bride since she and groom meet a couple years ago. We've been friends from the beginning but strangely enough only super close since we went for her to try on dresses. (So for the last six months) its a family tradition that we all go to the beach together and since that trip is in a few weeks i thought i might talk to her about it then, but wanted to ask you ladies if it would be proper form. :)

Re: toasts?

• If you would like to say a few words then you mention it to them.  They shouldn't be asking you or anyone to toast them.

• If you would like to say a few words then you mention it to them.  They shouldn't be asking you or anyone to toast them.

That's what common sense told me-that it would probably be like asking for a bridal shower. But ive never been in a wedding before so thought it better to ask. (The MOG is a prim and proper type so im trying not to make any missteps-don't wanna be this week's gossip "oh the nerve of treehuggingbride, canyoubelieveit??")

As a bride is it okay to gently turn down someones offered toast, or must you grin and bare if Drunk Uncle Joe that you barely know wants to write a speech? Lol
    That's what common sense told me-that it would probably be like asking for a bridal shower. But ive never been in a wedding before so thought it better to ask. (The MOG is a prim and proper type so im trying not to make any missteps-don't wanna be this week's gossip "oh the nerve of treehuggingbride, canyoubelieveit??") As a bride is it okay to gently turn down someones offered toast, or must you grin and bare if Drunk Uncle Joe that you barely know wants to write a speech? Lol
    Oh as a bride you can definitely say "thanks, but no thanks" if someone asks if they can say a few words.  And if you are afraid that Drunk Uncle Joe will get up and grab the mic for 30 minutes of Kanye West-esque randomness then make sure to tell your DJ who is giving a toast and that no one else should be allowed to say anything.

And as far as the MOG, F her.  She doesn't sound very prim or proper if she is busy gossiping up a storm all the time.

• Okay, great. Thank you. :)
    That's what common sense told me-that it would probably be like asking for a bridal shower. But ive never been in a wedding before so thought it better to ask. (The MOG is a prim and proper type so im trying not to make any missteps-don't wanna be this week's gossip "oh the nerve of treehuggingbride, canyoubelieveit??") As a bride is it okay to gently turn down someones offered toast, or must you grin and bare if Drunk Uncle Joe that you barely know wants to write a speech? Lol
    Oh as a bride you can definitely say "thanks, but no thanks" if someone asks if they can say a few words.  And if you are afraid that Drunk Uncle Joe will get up and grab the mic for 30 minutes of Kanye West-esque randomness then make sure to tell your DJ who is giving a toast and that no one else should be allowed to say anything.

And as far as the MOG, F her.  She doesn't sound very prim or proper if she is busy gossiping up a storm all the time.
    Ha, this made me cackle!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards