Registry and Gift Forum

What's an appropriate cash wedding gift

I am attending a wedding this weekend and usually I give the gift of cash at a wedding. The last wedding I gave a cash gift at though was my cousins in 2012 (and I gave her $50). The groom is a childhood friend of my FH and I have met them once in the four years we've been together, so choosing out a specific gift to fit their taste seems out of the question. I found their registries on-line by using Google, and they've pretty much been picked over by now too. We are also planning our own wedding which is in 2 months, so we are definitely on a budget. I had a friend recently give someone a $75 check because he went with the "pay for the plate" plus a little extra, but that sounds like such a random amount to me. I know from my own experience that when you invite a guest, it's so much more than just the cost of a plate to have them there, but I'm also not made of money right now (or ever). It's 2015, what really is the appropriate cash gift for a couple? $50, $100, $200?

Re: What's an appropriate cash wedding gift

• The appropriate amount is whatever you can afford and want to give.  There is no specific amount that is deemed more appropriate then another.  So give what you would like but that doesn't break the bank.
    Truly what I can afford right now is $50, but it's tough knowing that probably doesn't cover much for the couple. Better than nothing at least, my heart is in the right place.
  • <--- Exhibits classic Type A and overthinking details. It's not as easy to wake up and change that as one would like it to be.
  • I am attending a wedding this weekend and usually I give the gift of cash at a wedding. The last wedding I gave a cash gift at though was my cousins in 2012 (and I gave her $50). The groom is a childhood friend of my FH and I have met them once in the four years we've been together, so choosing out a specific gift to fit their taste seems out of the question. I found their registries on-line by using Google, and they've pretty much been picked over by now too. We are also planning our own wedding which is in 2 months, so we are definitely on a budget. I had a friend recently give someone a $75 check because he went with the "pay for the plate" plus a little extra, but that sounds like such a random amount to me. I know from my own experience that when you invite a guest, it's so much more than just the cost of a plate to have them there, but I'm also not made of money right now (or ever). It's 2015, what really is the appropriate cash gift for a couple? $50, $100, $200?
    Give what you can afford.  This year it's $50, next year you might attend attend a wedding and be able to give $100, the year after that you find yourself in a great place financially and can give more.  Just give what you can with a lovely note of congratulations.
  • Give what you can afford.

FWIW, if you feel like the amount you can spend seems less, then get creative.   Do something fun with wine or food for the couple.   
  • banana468 said:
    Give what you can afford.

FWIW, if you feel like the amount you can spend seems less, then get creative.   Do something fun with wine or food for the couple.   
    Exactly this.  Sometimes $50 can seem a lot bigger if you've made a foodie basket with coupons and discounts and maybe groupons or other online deals.  I'd like a basket of cheese and summer sausage and wine and chocolate.  If they're gourmet-type home cooks, maybe something homemade-ish like glass jars of various infused olive oils; garlic, rosemary, etc.
  • Cash is a great gift and probably what most people find to be most useful starting their new life together.

Any amount you want to give is fine and will be appreciated I'm sure. 

We had almost all cash gifts at our wedding and they were for a range of amounts including several gifts of $50.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Wedding invitations are not invoices.  You do not owe your hosts "cover" or reimbursement for whatever expenses they incur to feed and entertain you at the wedding. As PPs state, give what you can afford.
  • Give what you can. I've been able to give as much as $150, and the least $60. The couple shouldn't be trying to make a profit or return on cost. I would hate to think a couple is at home snickering at the amount people didn't spend on them 
  • Honestly, I'd be incredibly touched if someone gave me a gift of $10 because I'd know that $10 could have been used toward something for them or their family. It's not the amount you give. It's that you gave anything at all that would be touching to me. Gifts aren't required and certainly, $50 isn't required. It's a generous gift.
  • I had a couple, old friends I grew up with but hadn't seen in years come to the wedding. They gave us a lovely card and $25. Neither make much money, and they had a baby on the way at that point. It just meant so much to me there were able to come all the way to the wedding and celebrate and I was touched they did. The gift they gave meant a lot more than friends that have many more times that. Give what you can (if you can) and have a great time.

• No, for real, just give what you can afford....even if that's just a card.

• anything is nice 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards