Chit Chat

Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

kaos16kaos16 member
First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2015 in Chit Chat
Against my advisement, DH mentioned to his mom the top contender for our son's name at the moment.  She immediately hated it, said we can't use it, it's horrible, etc.  I still like it, he still likes it, we may very well still use it.  Now that he knows not to tell people in real life, I am looking for unbiased opinions here.  Also, if you have suggestions in a similar style, i'd love to hear them!

Stanley Lane is the top name.  (ETA: Lane being the middle name, not last)

I also like Dean and Beau.  We both would like something where he is hopefully the only one with the name in class, so nothing too popular, trendy, etc.  It must be a real name that will work on a resume down the road.

Go!

Re: Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

• edited August 2015
    I'm not personally a fan, but I'm not angry at it. I like that it's not a crazy out-there name that isn't trendy and will be fitting for an adult. 

ETA: I'm sorry but I really dislike Beau. To me, it's more of a dog name or a name like "Guy" that makes me wonder why the parents couldn't come up with anything better. Sorry.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Not a typical name, and I personally don't love it. However I did have one (and only one I think!) Stanley in my classes growing up. So, I think it does serve your purpose for being unique, but not weird.
  • Personally, I am not a fan.  I like Dean more though.  But that really shouldn't matter.  If you and your H like it then that is all that matters.

I think trying to pick a name where he will be the only one in the class with it probably isn't the best way to go about it.  Just pick something that you like and isn't crazy like Apple or Pilot Inspektor.

• I don't hate it. Stan is my mom's ex-FI's name and I really didn't like him so that plays a factor in how I feel about it. 

I like Beauregard (Beau) and Dean both. Stanley Lane doesn't flow very well.

• I agree with @emmaaa that the two names don't flow well in my opinion but they aren't horrible names.

Stanley immediately brings to mind the Stanley Cup and then my mind jumps to Flat Stanley.  

That being said they are both "normal" names and spelled properly so if this is what you guys want I would go for it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • My SIL is pregnant and everyone except us hates the name she picked. I'm meh with the name, but believe it's the parents right to pick.   DH loves the name because it's a female version of his name.  It's a pretty unusual version in the states.     

I feel so bad for SIL as everyone keeps complaining. They are posting baby names stuff on her FB wall.   I'm like WTF?  When you get pregnant you can pick your own kid's name.  Leave her alone.  Once the kid comes it will become second nature.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My SIL is pregnant and everyone except us hates the name she picked. I'm meh with the name, but believe it's the parents right to pick.   DH loves the name because it's a female version of his name.  It's a pretty unusual version in the states.     

I feel so bad for SIL as everyone keeps complaining. They are posting baby names stuff on her FB wall.   I'm like WTF?  When you get pregnant you can pick your own kid's name.  Leave her alone.  Once the kid comes it will become second nature.
    That's horrible.  If you don't like the name, okay.  Complain to each other in private, but to be so public with the hatred of a name for a kid that is not even yours is just gross.  
    they do not complain about her name choice on FB (she has never mentioned it on FB).   It's just  people who know she already picked a name still post articles about baby names.  It's like they are trying to get her to change her mind.   Her husband likes the name too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    My SIL is pregnant and everyone except us hates the name she picked. I'm meh with the name, but believe it's the parents right to pick.   DH loves the name because it's a female version of his name.  It's a pretty unusual version in the states.     

That's horrible.  If you don't like the name, okay.  Complain to each other in private, but to be so public with the hatred of a name for a kid that is not even yours is just gross.  
    they do not complain about her name choice on FB (she has never mentioned it on FB).   It's just  people who know she already picked a name still post articles about baby names.  It's like they are trying to get her to change her mind.   Her husband likes the name too.
    That is sad. Unless someone is wanting to name their kid Adolph, keep your (general you) stupid mouth shut. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • First, use the name if you're both happy with it and don't let family tell you otherwise. 

Second, is Lane the middle or last name? I have to agree with a PP that said the two "L" sounds are too close together to flow well.  It reads more like "Stan LeLane" to me. 

If Lane is the middle name, then no biggie, but if it's the last name you may want to reconsider, unless you plan to call the boy Stan for short all the time. 

I do love the name Dean. 

• I personally love Stanley Lane! I feel like classic names are making a comeback. 

Though on a personal note, my MIL hated a baby name that I causally mentioned when H and I had only been dating for 3 months. After that, I made H promise NEVER EVER to mention any baby names that we have been tossing around. We haven't been TTC yet, but we do have a couple that we like. I will not be sharing them with anyone. 
  • kaos16 said:
    Against my advisement, DH mentioned to his mom the top contender for our son's name at the moment.  She immediately hated it, said we can't use it, it's horrible, etc.  I still like it, he still likes it, we may very well still use it.  Now that he knows not to tell people in real life, I am looking for unbiased opinions here.  Also, if you have suggestions in a similar style, i'd love to hear them!

Stanley Lane is the top name.  

I also like Dean and Beau.  We both would like something where he is hopefully the only one with the name in class, so nothing too popular, trendy, etc.  It must be a real name that will work on a resume down the road.

Go!
    ... Does she think if she says you can't use it you guys will immediately change the name you like? Are you like, 12 and need to follow mommy's advice (obviously that one was rhetorical.)

I'm of the opinion that if you guys like it and it's not something ridiculous (A-sha for Adasha) then go for it. 
  • First, use the name if you're both happy with it and don't let family tell you otherwise. 

Second, is Lane the middle or last name? I have to agree with a PP that said the two "L" sounds are too close together to flow well.  It reads more like "Stan LeLane" to me. 

If Lane is the middle name, then no biggie, but if it's the last name you may want to reconsider, unless you plan to call the boy Stan for short all the time. 

I do love the name Dean. 
    Lane would be the middle Name.  Our last name starts with a B
  • Hearing all of these comments about family members saying how much they hate the name(s) chosen is probably the reason why my sister didn't tell anyone the names picked for her two girls until after they were born because her IL side I could see saying something.  One would really need to be cold hearted to tell a brand new Mom that their kids name sucks.
    Because some people have a way of making everything about them.

• Sorry, but I'm not a fan of Stanley. I don't have a good reason other than I just don't like it much...and it will undoubtedly be shortened to Stan, which is worse. 

Dean isn't bad. I do like Beau, but that may be because I had a fling with one. A super hot, super amazing fling. 
  • I don't have strong feelings about Dane or Stanley. But the first things I think of are Dane Cook (not ideal) and Stan Lee, so people might assume he was conceived at comicon or by some hardcore comic book fans.

Beau was my dog's name. I agree with SSC on that name.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• So, Stanley Lane Brown    You have my permission
  • Hearing all of these comments about family members saying how much they hate the name(s) chosen is probably the reason why my sister didn't tell anyone the names picked for her two girls until after they were born because her IL side I could see saying something.  One would really need to be cold hearted to tell a brand new Mom that their kids name sucks.
    I admit, I have a sister who picks a name and shares it as soon as she conceives.  The rest of the family, myself included has made comments to one another.  It's easy to do when their isn't a baby attached to the name.  I would never even dream of it if I first heard the name after the baby was here!
  • I forgot to say, while Stanley is not on the top of my list.  I think the name it just fine.  It's your kid and do not let other bully you into picking something else.

• kaos16 said:
    Hearing all of these comments about family members saying how much they hate the name(s) chosen is probably the reason why my sister didn't tell anyone the names picked for her two girls until after they were born because her IL side I could see saying something.  One would really need to be cold hearted to tell a brand new Mom that their kids name sucks.
    I admit, I have a sister who picks a name and shares it as soon as she conceives.  The rest of the family, myself included has made comments to one another.  It's easy to do when their isn't a baby attached to the name.  I would never even dream of it if I first heard the name after the baby was here!
    Comments being made to one another in private is one thing.  But comments made directly to the parents is another.  If my sister had said she wanted to name her first born My Little Pony I would have said the standard "oh that is nice" comment but then I would have told my H in private that I thought it was crazy.  But I wouldn't have told my sister that her name choice was insane.

I just think this is another time where everyone feels like they get a say in how a child is raised or taken care of or treated or whatever.  Just like with weddings, many people feel like they get a say when really they just need to keep their mouths shut unless specifically asked.

• My cousin wanted to name her kid Archibald with an A last name...we all convinced her not to, kid is glad to this day.

Sometimes is what's best for the kid. Like if you want to name your kid Lester, I'm going to do everything in my power to convince you otherwise, for the kid's sake :wink:

• Add me to the list that isn't fond of the name Stanley.  You are also looking for a name that isn't overly popular, but lots of those old fashioned names are coming back.  So it is likely that there could also be another Stanley. 

Is Stanley a family name? 

• My cousin wanted to name her kid Archibald with an A last name...we all convinced her not to, kid is glad to this day. Sometimes is what's best for the kid. Like if you want to name your kid Lester, I'm going to do everything in my power to convince you otherwise, for the kid's sake :wink:
    but Lester the Molester has such a nice ring to it!

The only nickname I can think of with Stanley is Stan, and Stan the Man makes me giggle.  It's cheesy but non-offensive.
  • Add me to the list that isn't fond of the name Stanley.  You are also looking for a name that isn't overly popular, but lots of those old fashioned names are coming back.  So it is likely that there could also be another Stanley. 

It is a family name. . . on DH's side, of a family member he absolutely adored who has since passed.  DH's mom was divorced from his dad when he was about 7.  I'm not sure if that causes additional animosity towards the name or not.
  • My cousin wanted to name her kid Archibald with an A last name...we all convinced her not to, kid is glad to this day. Sometimes is what's best for the kid. Like if you want to name your kid Lester, I'm going to do everything in my power to convince you otherwise, for the kid's sake :wink:
    My maiden last name sounds VERY similar to "mortis". I've always wanted to name something Rigor. Maybe I'll have a son someday...
  • If you and your H love the name Stanley then go for it! I like Dean too, not a huge fan of Beau though.

When my SO and I were picking out names for our son we didn't share with anyone until a few months after we had settled on one. At that point the decision was solidified in our minds that no one's opinions mattered. Some family members made jokes and couldn't pronounce our son's name but I'm happy with our decision.

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of my sisters' choices for her girls' names but I kept my mouth shut because she loved them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • kaos16 said:

Add me to the list that isn't fond of the name Stanley.  You are also looking for a name that isn't overly popular, but lots of those old fashioned names are coming back.  So it is likely that there could also be another Stanley. 

It is a family name. . . on DH's side, of a family member he absolutely adored who has since passed.  DH's mom was divorced from his dad when he was about 7.  I'm not sure if that causes additional animosity towards the name or not.

If he has the same first, middle and last name of the relative, he would be Stanley Lane Brown, II. I don't know why but I like seconds, thirds, juniors, etc.

If he has the same first, middle and last name of the relative, he would be Stanley Lane Brown, II. I don't know why but I like seconds, thirds, juniors, etc.
    I have an aunt who HATES juniors, seconds, etc.  Loathes them.

She had 6 kids (3 boys, 3 girls).  They gave her 6 grandsons.    5 of the 6 are juniors. 2 of them have the same first name, but different last names. Those 2 were born within a few months of each other too.  Yep between her son/son-in-law and grandsons, 4 of them have the same first name.   

She had one son who only had a daughter, but if it was a son he would have done a junior too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards