Chit Chat

Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

Re: Can I get some unbiased opinions on a baby name?

• FWIW, DH and I have a dogs named Bo (his name is Bocephus after Hank Jr. but we call him Bo). I think Beau is different and DH really likes that name for a kid.

• I love Dean and Beau! Dean is my favorite of the three. Stanley is my least favorite, though still a perfectly fine name. I don't think of Beau as a dog name at all. I think of Beauregard as a classic, beautiful name. My brother is named Kevin but Beau was a close second choice for my parents.  

I know a few people who go by their middle name because it became a nickname or they dislike their first name. Your son could go by Lane if he disliked Stanley. Personally, I'd go for Dean Beauregard B--- . Or if you're set on Stanley, Stanley Dean B--. 

Bottom line for me, you are choosing a lovely name no matter which of the three you choose. You can't make everyone happy and none of your selections are a disservice to your child.
  • scribe95 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it really. >>>>>I agree it doesn't flow. Something about the two l's being so close together.<<<<<< I do love Dean though.</p>

This is just what I was thinking. I think Stanley is a nice name, but perhaps with a different middle name. I like Dean as well. I do not like Beau.
  • I'm just really glad no one's mentioned Le-a or Lemonjello.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• abcdevonn said:

I have a tendency to like old/unusual names like Sebastian...which makes everyone look at me like I'm crazy. I've already decided if FI and I decide to have a kid in the future, we're not sharing name options!
    I desperately wanted to name DS Sebastian.  DH hated it, so we chose another name.  Luckily, when he was born he didn't seem like a Sebastian, but I still love the name.
  • sarahufl said:
    I think the lesson you can learn from this thread is people love/hate every name and everyone has had a dog/cat/ex-boyfriend/bad boss with that name and therefore it is terrible. I say you chose the name you and H like the best and tell everyone else to deal with it.

This is very true. Although the name may not be someone else's style, doesn't mean you shouldn't name your son that. You and your husband obviously like it and it has meaning to the two of you. Now, if it were a really weird name or one you basically made up, that'd be different.

• emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:
    I think the lesson you can learn from this thread is people love/hate every name and everyone has had a dog/cat/ex-boyfriend/bad boss with that name and therefore it is terrible. I say you chose the name you and H like the best and tell everyone else to deal with it.

This is very true. Although the name may not be someone else's style, doesn't mean you shouldn't name your son that. You and your husband obviously like it and it has meaning to the two of you. Now, if it were a really weird name or one you basically made up, that'd be different.
    I don't even think that would be different.  I don't care how the parents came up with the name, if they want to name their child <insert crazy name> then it is their choice.  Everyone in the world can hate it, but in the end it is the parents choice and people will just have to deal.  When the kid gets old enough and decides that he/she hates their name, they are more then welcome to change it to one that they prefer.

• emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:

I don't even think that would be different.  I don't care how the parents came up with the name, if they want to name their child <insert crazy name> then it is their choice.  Everyone in the world can hate it, but in the end it is the parents choice and people will just have to deal.  When the kid gets old enough and decides that he/she hates their name, they are more then welcome to change it to one that they prefer.
    I agree with you that people can name their kid basically anything they want. But she did ask for unbiased opinions and while it isn't everyone's style there is nothing inherently wrong with it. 

• emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:

I agree with you that people can name their kid basically anything they want. But she did ask for unbiased opinions and while it isn't everyone's style there is nothing inherently wrong with it. 
    I know.  I just think it is sad that future parents, after getting crappy comments from family, then feel the need to question their decision and ask for opinions about a name choice from others.  I mean there will never be a consensus from people in regards to a name.  The only consensus that is important is that of the parents.

Just add this to my list of reasons why I don't want to have a kid.  

• emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:

I know.  I just think it is sad that future parents, after getting crappy comments from family, then feel the need to question their decision and ask for opinions about a name choice from others.  I mean there will never be a consensus from people in regards to a name.  The only consensus that is important is that of the parents.

I just can't imagine, as a parent, telling my grown son or daughter that they weren't allowed to use a name. What makes you think you get a say?!
  • sarahufl said:
    emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:

I just can't imagine, as a parent, telling my grown son or daughter that they weren't allowed to use a name. What makes you think you get a say?!
    I think I just want to not tell anyone until they're already born! HA! One of my BFF's is pregnant and she was thinking of names. They were really thinking of naming him Axle. I really didn't like that name at all but I still didn't say anything to her and I'm the godmother! 

• I wish someone would have told my mom that Adrienne is a stupid name and she wasn't allowed to use it.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:
    emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:

I think I just want to not tell anyone until they're already born! HA! One of my BFF's is pregnant and she was thinking of names. They were really thinking of naming him Axle. I really didn't like that name at all but I still didn't say anything to her and I'm the godmother! 
    lol, I'm with you- Axle is a little odd :) But yes, when the time comes, we are not sharing names till after they are born.
  • sarahufl said:

lol, I'm with you- Axle is a little odd :) But yes, when the time comes, we are not sharing names till after they are born.
    Luckily, they changed their mind.

• I don't think it's bad at all.  Especially Stanley.  He then will have a choice to go with Stan or Stanley.  The Lane part does make me think of a street name a little bit (as in, "We live on Stanley Lane") but I really think it's fine.  I REALLY like Dean and Beau - honestly out of the 3 names, I like Stanley Dean (Dean as the middle) the best.  At the end of the day though, you guys should definitely name him what YOU want and what make YOU happy!  A lot of parents have a few name ideas, then don't decide until the baby is born...what he looks like can play a factor.  At any rate, I have no doubt whatever name you pick will be perfect!!
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    sarahufl said:

emmaaa said:

sarahufl said:

emmaaa said:

emmaaa said:

sarahufl said:

------------box-------------

Axel is a traditional Norwegian name. I have met several of them.

• Everyone has biases about names based on who or what that specific name conjures up.  Uncommon names are fun, because nobody needs to add a last name when they're referring to that person and they're generally memorable.

In my family there are three girls and three boys --- the youngest three are girls.  When we were growing up my mom always said that if any of us three had been a boy we would've been named Axel, the aforementioned name with Scandinavian and German roots.  My great grandpa's name.  Fast forward 30 years and my brother announces that they're naming their firstborn kid Axel. I've always thought it's awesome in Swedish but not great in English, like you think of Axl Rose or 50 cents per axle at the toll.  And the harshness of the AXE syllable.  I go to visit the hospital when the kid is born and ask, what are you naming him and they're like DUH, Axel.  I had thought it was just a foil.

But it totally grew on me and my nephew is so f'n cool.  He's likely the only Axel for miles around.  It's an easy name to spell and remember.  

This is a long way of saying that even if a name sounds strange or weird or odd at first, you get used to it.  The more you get to know the person, the more awesome their name.  There was a girl named Olga in my confirmation class.  Everyone made fun of her name but in a cute way because she was adorable.

Uncommon names are high risk, high reward.  As long as there's no obviously rhymable way to seriously taunt the kid, I'm all for them. By the way, this thread totally makes me think of the Johnny Cash song Boy Named Sue.
  • I wish someone would have told my mom that Adrienne is a stupid name and she wasn't allowed to use it.
    I actually love that name ;-) 

• Everyone has biases about names based on who or what that specific name conjures up.  Uncommon names are fun, because nobody needs to add a last name when they're referring to that person and they're generally memorable.

In my family there are three girls and three boys --- the youngest three are girls.  When we were growing up my mom always said that if any of us three had been a boy we would've been named Axel, the aforementioned name with Scandinavian and German roots.  My great grandpa's name.  Fast forward 30 years and my brother announces that they're naming their firstborn kid Axel. I've always thought it's awesome in Swedish but not great in English, like you think of Axl Rose or 50 cents per axle at the toll.  And the harshness of the AXE syllable.  I go to visit the hospital when the kid is born and ask, what are you naming him and they're like DUH, Axel.  I had thought it was just a foil.

But it totally grew on me and my nephew is so f'n cool.  He's likely the only Axel for miles around.  It's an easy name to spell and remember.  

This is a long way of saying that even if a name sounds strange or weird or odd at first, you get used to it.  The more you get to know the person, the more awesome their name.  There was a girl named Olga in my confirmation class.  Everyone made fun of her name but in a cute way because she was adorable.

Uncommon names are high risk, high reward.  As long as there's no obviously rhymable way to seriously taunt the kid, I'm all for them. By the way, this thread totally makes me think of the Johnny Cash song Boy Named Sue.
    My parents told me they almost named me Joni Jo, or JoJo, and I'm def going to use that name as my decoy name with them (I don't want to announce names till birth).  I don't plan to actually use the name though and I'm 100% thankful they changed their mind!
  • I was supposed to be Barbara Louise- family name on my dad's side, and my brother Glenn Augustus- another family name on my dad's side. Thankfully, my mom won those battles.

I have a cousin named Anais Rose and her brother is Augustus Arrow (I won't tell you where the "Arrow" comes from).  I like Anais; Augustus goes by Auggie- can you blame him?
  • I was supposed to be Barbara Louise- family name on my dad's side, and my brother Glenn Augustus- another family name on my dad's side. Thankfully, my mom won those battles.

I have a cousin named Anais Rose and her brother is Augustus Arrow (I won't tell you where the "Arrow" comes from).  I like Anais; Augustus goes by Auggie- can you blame him?
    My mom is Barbara, and to me it's one of those dated names that always sound odd on young people today (no offense to any young Barbaras out there, I don't have anything against the name itself). It's so rare to meet a Barbara under the age of 50.

And I really like Augustus, and August, and Augustine... They're unusual, but not so weird that no one has ever heard of them.

My mom almost gave my older sister my name, and then I would have been Fiona or Lydia... My parents had a deal where my mom would get final say on girls' names, and my dad on boys' names. My parents had five girls, but had any of us been a boy we would have been Shane.
    BabyFruit Ticker

How do you pronounce Anais? I'm picturing Uh-nace (like face).

I have some friends who named their daughter Augusta. Not too bad, although it wouldn't be my choice, but then they nicknamed her Gussie. I feel so bad for that girl. Who wants their family calling them Gussie for the rest of their life?
  • l9i said:

Everyone has biases about names based on who or what that specific name conjures up.  Uncommon names are fun, because nobody needs to add a last name when they're referring to that person and they're generally memorable.

My parents told me they almost named me Joni Jo, or JoJo, and I'm def going to use that name as my decoy name with them (I don't want to announce names till birth).  I don't plan to actually use the name though and I'm 100% thankful they changed their mind!

That might be a good way of getting Christmas ornaments or bibs or whatever with the decoy name at your shower. I have given personalized ornaments at showers more than once when told the name is carved in stone. Hasn't bitten me in the butt yet but good for BOTH of us to know now! Also given bibs with names on them.

How do you pronounce Anais? I'm picturing Uh-nace (like face). I have some friends who named their daughter Augusta. Not too bad, although it wouldn't be my choice, but then they nicknamed her Gussie. I feel so bad for that girl. Who wants their family calling them Gussie for the rest of their life?
    Uh-NYE-iss, like the author Anaïs Nin.
  • edited September 2015
    emmaaa said:
    sarahufl said:

Except that by the time you can change your name, you've had to deal with that "unique" name or unique spelling for your childhood. . . which means you've had to deal with teasing, nicknames, the annoyance of constantly having your name misspelled/having to correct the spelling for 18 years or so. (I don't know at what age you can legally change your name, but I assume a 5 year old cannot begin the legal process to do so)

I'm also of the mentality that parents should consider the possible ramifications to their child, who has to live with that name, when choosing a name.

And since OP asked, I'm not a fan of any of those names, but Dean is the lesser of three evils to me.  I agree with PPS that Stanley Lane is awkward and does not flow.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

How do you pronounce Anais? I'm picturing Uh-nace (like face). I have some friends who named their daughter Augusta. Not too bad, although it wouldn't be my choice, but then they nicknamed her Gussie. I feel so bad for that girl. Who wants their family calling them Gussie for the rest of their life?
    @lovesclimbing it's Anna - eeeese.  (The As in the first part is not pronounced like the A in apple, but like when your doctor says, "say ahhhhh.")

Yeah, I would NOT want to be a Gussie.  That's like Nessie from Twilight; although Gussie is worse.
  • Kahlyla said:

I was supposed to be Barbara Louise- family name on my dad's side, and my brother Glenn Augustus- another family name on my dad's side. Thankfully, my mom won those battles.

I have some friends who named their daughter Augusta. Not too bad, although it wouldn't be my choice, but then they nicknamed her Gussie. I feel so bad for that girl. Who wants their family calling them Gussie for the rest of their life?

Uh-NYE-iss, like the author Anaïs Nin.

I was supposed to be Barbara Louise- family name on my dad's side, and my brother Glenn Augustus- another family name on my dad's side. Thankfully, my mom won those battles.

@lovesclimbing it's Anna - eeeese.  (The As in the first part is not pronounced like the A in apple, but like when your doctor says, "say ahhhhh.")

Yeah, I would NOT want to be a Gussie.  That's like Nessie from Twilight; although Gussie is worse.

------preemptive box-----

I would never guess Anna-eese. Uh-nye-is I could see a little more. At first glance I thought it was the Biblical name, but that one is actually Ananais - pronounced like that (uhnyeis) but with Ann at the front.

I have never heard of that author.
  • Ah-nah-ees.  I believe it's French.  Not super popular there but not totally uncommon either; my friend married an Anaïs from France.  It reminds me of a perfume my mother used to have - does anyone know which one I'm thinking of?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards