Chit Chat

Activewear recommendations wanted!

Hello, TK! 

I'm hoping you can give me some recommendations on your favorite brands and/or pieces for working out, specifically for outdoor running + indoor circuit training. 

I usually get great stuff from TJ Maxx, but their selection has been terrible lately and I need new gear now that the weather is turning. I want good pieces that perform well and are long-lasting, but I don't want to completely break the bank. I'm a sucker for a bargain, but I understand I may have to spend a little more for better quality. 

I'm a size 14 & my chest is 36B, if that makes a difference in your recommendations. Specifically, I'm looking for great sports bras (not padded) and pants, but I'm open to all suggestions.

So tell me: What are your favorites?

Re: Activewear recommendations wanted!

• For workout tops, I usually shop at Marshall's or Target.

For workout pants... you won't like this if your bargain hunting... but I love lululemon. Their pants and shorts are awesome. Their elasticity hasn't failed me yet, they stay clean for a long time, and the quality really matches the price. You can get anything hemmed in the store for free too, which is good because no pants in the history of pants have ever fit me correctly. However, I think their workout tops are a huge rip off. Basic tank tops are incredibly overpriced.

For sports bras... almost 30 years old and I have yet to find one I like. Looking forward to see what the comments on this thread suggest!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I LOVE Victoria's Secret Sports Bras. They are a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

• For pants, have you tried Champion? (Target and Sports Authority have them.) I'm actually quite pleased with their stuff, and I own stuff like Nike and Under Armour too.  

Huge fan of www.runningwarehouse.com  You can get the name brands at much lower prices; however, now that it is going to be fall soon I doubt the deals are going to be great on pants. Definitely worth a try though! They have a lot of filters to help you find stuff that'll fit, and easy shipping and return policies. They get a lot of my money. 

• Moving Comfort is my favorite sports bra brand, by far. Again, they're pricey but the support is great and they last FOREVER (I have one that's 5+ years old and you wouldn't know it).

I'm a size 12 with pretty beefy thighs so personally I find running bottoms are tricky because so many ride up/bunch up/cause chaffing. I highly recommend tights - I have these REI Fleet pants in all three lengths (knee-length, crop/capri, full tights) that are my standard go-to for running in:
    http://www.rei.com/product/877589/rei-fleet-crop-pants-womens.

The REI pants are on sale right now! Bonus!
  • teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

Lulu also has outlets, not sure if you're close to any of those. IDK if the outlets do this - but lulu has a really good exchange policy. I believe they call it 'damage out'. So even worn merch, if it wears out/tears/stretches/etc, you can usually exchange it for a similar item. I've never had any issues with it, as it's supposed to be no questions asked, however I have heard of other people getting snotty associates and the process isn't as seamless.

Tj maxx likely won't be getting much more in, as its more b2s & designer fall items coming up. Not that you want to this long, but spring is the best time to buy activewear from there. You might want to try some department stores - they'll be clearing out summer type items for fall, so you can maybe get some better quality brands on clearance.

eta - my favourite pants ever ever ever are Roxy brand. They were on deep discount, and maybe like $60, usually $150 or something absurd like that. I like a thickER fabric, not the legging type ones that show everything haha.

• I started a boot camp about 3 months ago (size 16 and 38C) and the sports bras that have held up the best for me were from Walmart. I believe they are Danskin brand and they have adjustable straps which was key for me. They come padded but are removable. I've gotten rid of all the padding on mine and it doesn't change the fit. They hold up well after washing also. 

Pants I've had a harder time with. I have a couple pairs of what I believe are running tights from Target (Champion brand) that fit great and hold up from a lot of washing. But I can't find them every time I need them. I have a few pairs from Old Navy which also fit well but I think the quality isn't as great. The wash has already put holes in two pairs but at the same time, the cost (I've always bought on sale) makes them worth it. 
  • I'm not super picky when it comes to workout clothes but I've had great luck with Target sports bras. Surprisingly, I've had excellent luck with pants from Express - They have awesome capri leggings that seem to fit me perfectly, unlike other's that I've gotten from Marshall's, etc.
  • I know you said their selection has been sucking lately, but I've actually had the best luck with random stuff I got at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I've tried Victoria's Secret and "namebrand" activewear and it fell apart much more quickly than anything I got at Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

For sportsbras, I have a Victoria's Secret one and a Glamorise sportsbra from Amazon. I much prefer the Glamorise and I only spent $24. Panache is supposed to have excellent sportsbras as well but they are pricier. I'm not crazy about the VS one- Very cute and holds my DDD/G's down but it cuts into my shoulders. The Glamorise bra is so comfortable and completely holds me down.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Oh I meant to add, TJ Maxx offers online ordering now, and their site has a huge selection of everything. So maybe check out their website and see if you find anything on there.

• I do a lot of running and for sports bras I like Nike the best, although UA is good too. Typically shop outlets or Dick's Sporting Goods sale.

For pants, if you're talking actually winter running tights, I like Nike the best, haven't had luck with other brands. For capris though my favs are Target C9 brand and then Under Armour.  I always get pants with the drawstring though bc I've had some that like to fall down when I run for some reason (happened in both adidas and Nike).

Running warehouse is a nice online site that often has good sales and free shipping both ways in case it doesn't fit. You can usually google for coupons too

• Oh I meant to add, TJ Maxx offers online ordering now, and their site has a huge selection of everything. So maybe check out their website and see if you find anything on there.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it out!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm also a size 14 and Alo's Yoga Pants are the only ones I have found that don't fall or roll or sag when I run.  They're super expensive though so I'm trying to bargain shop online for some more pairs.

When I was kickboxing the Champion yoga pants from Target were my favorite.
  • I run in winter a lot and swear by the Under Armour ColdGear fitted tights. There's one pair that hit just around my ankles and never budge while I run (I have another pair that does slide down, but this one pair is fantastic). I got them from the UA Outlet online for maybe $38? I also got a pair of full length UA HeatGear compression tights from Modell's for around the same price and those also work well for me.

You can find some good deals through the UA Outlet, so I recommend checking every now and then. I've never paid full retail for UA.
  • I'm a Lulu addict, though I don't really buy their tanks.  For sports bras, I like their all-sport, stuff your bra.  I haven't tried it, but their ta-ta tamer is for bigger cup sizes.  Their website is organized by little, medium and high support.  

I also buy a lot of Nike sports bras (and other stuff), and Under Armour too.  

• Old Navy! They seem to have similar styles to Kate Hudson's fabletica but theres actual brick and mortar stores (in addition to online) and they are inexpesnive.

• hellohkb said:
    I know you said their selection has been sucking lately, but I've actually had the best luck with random stuff I got at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I've tried Victoria's Secret and "namebrand" activewear and it fell apart much more quickly than anything I got at Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

For sportsbras, I have a Victoria's Secret one and a Glamorise sportsbra from Amazon. I much prefer the Glamorise and I only spent $24. Panache is supposed to have excellent sportsbras as well but they are pricier. I'm not crazy about the VS one- Very cute and holds my DDD/G's down but it cuts into my shoulders. The Glamorise bra is so comfortable and completely holds me down.
    I wear Panache, 36DDD. They are the best sportsbras I've found and last well. They are pricey. I've bought them on Amazon. Champion is a good cheaper option. I like Lucy for active wear. The sizing is more realistic than Lulu and just a tad cheaper. They also have sales (online and in store).
  • Old Navy. Always on sale, lots of variety and great quality
  • Road Runner Sports!!  Their clothes / bras have really held up over the years.  They can be a little pricey, but just look for good deals if you decide to purchase from them.

• I'm a size 12 and 38D. Sports bras are vrom Victoria's Secret. Pretty pricey, but well worth it. I also do running and circuits and they're comfy.

For pants, I usually got to Kohl's. The Reebok brand has worked well for me and there are always sales going on....

• I'm glad VS is getting good reviews for sports bras because I've been curious and considered ordering one.  

As for workout gear I'm not too picky and buy from Target, TJMaxx, Nordstrom Rack and occasionally other places.  

My favorite workout pants right now are actually from the GAP.  They are spandex capris and the shape is really flattering for me; structured but not too thick and heavy.  I usually don't love how spandex looks on my butt and thighs, but these are awesome. I'd definitely recommend a dark color with a bright or light color accent at the waist and cuff, which seems to be standard.  I love the little zip pocket above my butt to stick keys or credit cards.  

My favorite workout pants were Everlast from years ago but I can't seem to find them again.
  • I like the sports bras from VS also. I especially like the ones that zip in the front. 

• I workout 6 days a week doing either crossfit, oly lifting, or bootcamp. On top of that I started training for a half marathon in January and ran it at the beginning on June. I am really rough on my clothes and haven't ripped. I wear almost exclusively lulu because my Nike, Costco and Target stuff just don't hold up. Tried it all. I've had 2 rips in the crotch of my lulus and they repair them for free, no questions asked. If the tear is normal wear and tear more than repairable, they replace them for free I believe. I have their tanks, too, and I LOVE them. I also have 2 with built in bras and they are amazing. One has an open back which is great for ventilation in the summer. Wore that on long run days. I also have one of their sports bras and it has some really great support. It's perfect for sprints or power cleans or anything where the girls need to be kept tucked away really close to my body.
  • Thank you to everyone who suggested Fabletics.  I just dropped way too much money there and I blame all of you!!  Hopefully I like it all.  I don't usually order clothing online unless I've already tried it on before

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    Honestly, I'm a fan of the cheaper the better. My favorite workout tanks are the Fred Meyer-brand ones, not the North Face one (that I got on clearance, only reason I got it). Don't get me wrong, I love the NF, I just like the FM one slightly better. My running tights are also cheap Walmart ones - Danskin I think.

For sports bras, I do spend money. I LOVE Moving Comfort. Probably will never buy anything else. Super comfortable, adjustable straps and they make them in a racer-back style (which is nice to have for racer-back tanks, which lots if not most workout tops are) for people with bigger boobs.
  • Honestly, I'm a fan of the cheaper the better. My favorite workout tanks are the Fred Meyer-brand ones, not the North Face one (that I got on clearance, only reason I got it). Don't get me wrong, I love the NF, I just like the FM one slightly better. My running tights are also cheap Walmart ones - Danskin I think. For sports bras, I do spend money. I LOVE Moving Comfort. Probably will never buy anything else. Super comfortable, adjustable straps and they make them in a racer-back style (which is nice to have for racer-back tanks, which lots if not most workout tops are) for people with bigger boobs.
    If you don't mind my asking - what's your body type?  I'm a size 14 who is aiming to lose weight and new to running and have tried a million different pairs and all but 1 sag.  None sag in the dressing room, just after the first 2-3 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards