Wedding Party
Options

Gift for a 2-year old.

arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited September 2015 in Wedding Party
I've gotten gifts for my entire bridal party except for my youngest niece, who will be two years old later this month. I'm totally stuck here. I've only met this niece once (they live out of state) so I don't know what she likes, and my sister offered no suggestions. I'd like to spend more than $10 or $15 on a gift, seeing as I spent that much on each gift for my other 6 nieces/nephews. The two year old isn't a member of the bridal party (she will be sitting with her dad during the ceremony), but my sister has made it perfectly clear that her two year old deserves a gift, too. Any suggestions?
                                 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gift for a 2-year old.

• Options
    I've gotten gifts for my entire bridal party except for my youngest niece, who will be two years old later this month. I'm totally stuck here. I've only met this niece once (they live out of state) so I don't know what she likes, and my sister offered no suggestions. I'd like to spend more than $10 or $15 on a gift, seeing as I spent that much on each gift for my other 6 nieces/nephews. The two year old isn't a member of the bridal party (she will be sitting with her dad during the ceremony), but my sister has made it perfectly clear that her two year old deserves a gift, too. Any suggestions?
    Eek!

Since your sister is so adamant that you get her child a present then you need to call her back up and tell her that you need suggestions.  Or at least a general direction like Frozen or Princesses or building blocks, etc.  Because lets face it, whatever you get her will be played with for about 2 seconds and then tossed to the side.

• Options
    Yeah, no.  Kids need to learn that don't always get gifts when their siblings or cousins do.  When you go to a birthday party for one of the kids, do you have to gifts for them all?  Your sister is being ridiculous.
  • Options
    arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    adk19 said:
    Yeah, no.  Kids need to learn that don't always get gifts when their siblings or cousins do.  When you go to a birthday party for one of the kids, do you have to gifts for them all?  Your sister is being ridiculous.
    YES. Thank you. My sister refuses to do this. I originally wanted to have one flower girl and one ring bearer in my wedding party, but I was immediately bombarded with "NO. You have to include everyone or someone's feelings will be hurt!" So now I have 5 flower girls. My sister has been the only source of stress during the entire wedding planning process. However, I decided that I need to just pick-and-choose my battles, and little things like this are easier to go along with than fight. I was thinking maybe a fake pearl bracelet, but I'm open to other ideas anyone else may have.

Edit: missing words AND spelling ugh.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Yikes! Sorry, but why does your sister think that her 2 year old daughter deserves a gift?

I find it really frustrating that after she tells you this, she won't offer you any suggestions on what gift to buy. What about something to keep her busy during the wedding day? A coloring book, a game that she can play, etc.? 

• Options
    adk19 said:
    YES. Thank you. My sister refuses to do this. I originally wanted to have one flower girl and one ring bearer in my wedding party, but I was immediately bombarded with "NO. You have to include everyone or someone's feelings will be hurt!" So now I have 5 flower girls. My sister has been the only source of stress during the entire wedding planning process. However, I decided that I need to just pick-and-choose my battles, and little things like this are easier to go along with that fight. I was thinking maybe a fake pearl bracelet, but I'm open to other ideas anyone else may have.

Edit: missing words.
    If this is a hill you don't want to die on, then you could get this kid the bracelet you mention, a pop-up book, or whatever you would give her for her birthday or Christmas.
  • Options
    Pupatella said:
    Yikes! Sorry, but why does your sister think that her 2 year old daughter deserves a gift?

I find it really frustrating that after she tells you this, she won't offer you any suggestions on what gift to buy. What about something to keep her busy during the wedding day? A coloring book, a game that she can play, etc.
    This is a good idea I'll definitely consider--thank you!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Any of the above ideas or a small stuffed animal, stickers, sparkly fairy princess wand. Two-year-olds are pretty easy to please.
  • Options
    Stuffed animal.
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2015
    Considering the way your sister is being, you need to give her a taste of her own medicine.   Perhaps a toy with a loud siren or maybe some Play-Doh would be a mega pleaser.   If you go for a wand, get one that repeats a line like, "Make a wish!   May all your dreams come true!" 

Or maybe get her an Elsa Doll that just won't let it go.

But tell the kids that the gifts are given after the wedding.   Then you don't have to worry about any white dress fallout. 
  • Options
    The two year old isn't a member of the bridal party (she will be sitting with her dad during the ceremony), but my sister has made it perfectly clear that her two year old deserves a gift, too.
    I'm not currently a member of anyone's WP, and I am extremely deserving of gifts.  Sadly, that's not how life works. 

Get her a lame participation trophy.  Get one for your sister, too--she sounds like a real handful.
  • Options
    An empty box.  Make sure when she starts crying, you send her to your sister.

• Options
    An empty box.  Make sure when she starts crying, you send her to your sister.

Hasn't Jimmy Kimmel asked parents to give their kids a terrible gift and film their reaction to it?  Rotten bananas, half eaten sandwich.  I think I saw one where the mom was totally talk it up, and it ended up being socks.  The kid threw it across the room with an angry angry look on his face.  You can get gift ideas from Jimmy Kimmel is what I'm saying.
  • Options
    Get her a new pet goldfish.

In one of these:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My 11 and 5 year old cousins are in my bridal party. For their brothers who are not in the bridal party, I'm giving them chocolates.

I'm sure your sister will be THRILLED about her toddler having a sugar rush, so I highly suggest some candy as well ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards