New York-Long Island
Options

Thoughts on Rehearsal Dinner?

I am the Mom of the groom...we live out of NY, the Fall wedding is in Long Island. The wedding itself is going to be on a Sunday evening at a very formal venue. We are trying to plan a very informal rehearsal dinner for Saturday nite (there will be no rehearsal, it will just be a get-together dinner). With the wedding party and spouses, plus immediate family and out of town family, there will be around 40 people. The bride and groom have suggested we rent the banquet room at the local fire house, which is fully outfitted and very nice. Okay, we'll do that. Now, I have to consider what food to have catered. We all want it very casual, so I was thinking one of 2 things: a very simple pasta dinner (2 types of pasta and sauce), garlic bread/rolls, salad, meatballs and sauce  OR something a little more complicated and expensive--several Italian dishes served buffet style. We are on a tight budget and I am inclined to go with the more simple meal, if it isn't tacky. We will also be supplying alcohol (wine and beer), soda, coffee/tea, and dessert.  It is only close friends and relatives, it will be casula...does the simpler option seem to cheap??

Re: Thoughts on Rehearsal Dinner?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If it's a super causal dinner and it's what you can afford, then it doesn't matter. You can always "dress it up" a bit with some appetizers, like mozz & tomato skewers, chips, dips (dill dip is always a big hit with my family), bruschetta, etc. All things you can make at home and serve cold.

And as long as you're offering a starch, veg and meat, which you are, no one will go hungry.
  • Options
    bobbiannbobbiann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fire houses can be really nice.  I wouldn't stress too much about it.  A casual rehearsal dinner is always a good way to go.
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    it might be easier to book a party room at a restaurant that they know rather than having to plan with the caterer and location like that.
    dh's mom justwent to a party at elisas in north bellmore and it was very nice (they can split the room in half to have a private room). i dont believe it was too expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards