Destination Weddings Discussions

Belize, Roatan, or Dominican Republic???

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to plan my destination wedding and am considering Belize (Ambergris Caye or Placencia), Roatan, or The Dominican Republic (Probably Punta Cana, but would consider other areas).  I want a great beach with turquoise water, a casual yet elegant ceremony/reception, and it would be for aproximately 50 guests (75max, but that would be surprising).  I would love advice from couples who are currently planning in one of these locations or have already had their wedding and can advise and even send photos.  Oh, and we prefer not to have it at a place that cranks out 5 weddings a day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!   Thanks!
Amber

Re: Belize, Roatan, or Dominican Republic???

• I did not get married in Belize, but I have been there. The beaches there are less than desirable. Belize is certainly not a beach destination. Out of the three you mentioned, the Dominican would be closest to what you are looking for. Perhaps a smaller resort there would be a good fit.

• If you haven't checked into the marriage requirements already, make sure you do so before selecting a location. A friend of mine was going to get married on a Carribean Island and changed her mind after finding out they would have to be there 5 days prior to their wedding (adding on to expenses) to get a physical and bloodwork done by an island doctor. She wasn't comfortable with the idea of getting a physical done by an unfamiliar doctor so they opted to have their wedding in the states.

• I had an awful experience in Punta Cana - specifically the Majestic Colonial. I wouldn't recommend that place for your wedding.

Also, I had issues trying to leave the country with the customs agents, so I would suggest not having too many valuables in your luggage/carry on.
  • @Jells2dot0  -vendor alert.  At the very least, poor grammar and unfinished sentences alert.
  • @adk19- I banned them just as you were posting! Thanks!

• Roatan requires an AIDS test for both of you to get a marriage license.  I would go with the Dominican Republic.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • we JUST got back from our wedding at Ambergris Caye and absolutely loved every second of it. The marriage requirement is to be there for 3 days (including your wedding day), and everything was seamless. 

That being said we had 20 people (including us), and nothing there is all-inclusive, which was a huge draw for us. There is a small beach but nothing as big or as welcoming as Punta Cana (we've been there before too and it was gorgeous). However, we did swim from the resort every day. There is a ton of things to do though for every personality type- you can relax at a spa/by the pool, or be more adventurous- go snorkeling/diving, Mayan ruin excursions, fishing, etc. Since it wasn't all-inclusive we weren't locked into eating at the resort the whole time and never had one bad meal. We stayed at Xanadu and cannot tell you how amazing they were- they bent over backwards organizing and planning for me. Again though- that was a much much smaller group than you may be planning for. 

When we were in Punta Cana, it was so simple and all-inclusive and huge. We did some excursions and they were nice, but honestly we liked the ones in Belize better. Also the food at our all-inclusive there was quite disappointing. Average at best. I think it was something like Princess resorts, but there may be like 30 resorts by that name down there. Wish I could remember it! Other friends we know recently went down to a destination wedding in Punta Cana and loved it.

That being said, I'd check with either Ingrid at Xanadu or Kelly from 'I do Belize' wedding planning if you're still considering it! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards