Wedding Woes
Options

Oh hell no...I was just informed

via email, that a 'polar plunge' by the adults is part of this weekends girl scout camping trip.

I handle both cold and water EVER so well.  *grumble grumble*
is it to late to back out?

Re: Oh hell no...I was just informed

• Options

At least it's not December?

• Options
    yeah, I'm hoping for good weather.

• Options
    Yeah, how polar are we talking here?  It's been awhile since I lived up 'round those parts.

Not saying it doesn't suck, just trying to determine the depth of the suckiness. :)
  • Options
    Take some cold showers to prepare.  ;)  HTH!
  • Options
    well, it's looking like maybe rain all weekend...like 60 degrees and an 80% chance of rain, with lows in the 40's overnight.  
    I get cold and wet, it may be hard, in my 'water resistant' (but NOT water proof--it was a gift to Buffy, I didn't pick it out) tent, to not remain cold and damp.
    once I get cold I swear I can't warm up unless I get a hot shower (which won't be a possibility, I don't believe)

(But just for a reference point, when I got back from TX, I told the Mr. I had done a 'obstacle course' in a pool w/ my niece (new niece/step niece--however you say that) and had put my head under water, and his response was "wow, you really DO like her" (relationship building)--because I really REALLY don't do water.  But I try not to let Buffy see that)
  • Options
    You could hope to come down with something before then that would prevent you from going in the cold water!  Or just cough a lot and say your sick.
  • Options
    that's actually the other really lousy part...I think I am coming down w/ something.
    But Buffy is super geeked about this trip, so I am packing cold meds and going.

And I got my nwe sleeping bag (my old one was purchased when I was 10...it was, uh, broken) in the mail last night.  ANd a waterproof coat I bought for me.  

I may grab the leader's ear and explain the 'don't do water' thing though--mostly I try not to do it much in front of Buffy because I'm thoroughly unreasonable and kids pick up on it, and she gets uncomfortable in water when I"m the person with her--because I'm supremely uncomfortable and paranoid. (and exposure doesn't change it--I've had lots of it.  And I can swim reasonably well, I'll play and what not...but the moment water doesn't behave how I predict and/or footing gets shakey, I kick into obviously freaked-out mode)
  • Options
    This time of year the water is often warmer than the air. So at first "plunge" it might be chilly, but you'll get used to the temp real quick. Make sure you have plenty of dry layers on shore to change into after.
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    well, it's looking like maybe rain all weekend...like 60 degrees and an 80% chance of rain, with lows in the 40's overnight.  
    I get cold and wet, it may be hard, in my 'water resistant' (but NOT water proof--it was a gift to Buffy, I didn't pick it out) tent, to not remain cold and damp.
    once I get cold I swear I can't warm up unless I get a hot shower (which won't be a possibility, I don't believe)

(But just for a reference point, when I got back from TX, I told the Mr. I had done a 'obstacle course' in a pool w/ my niece (new niece/step niece--however you say that) and had put my head under water, and his response was "wow, you really DO like her" (relationship building)--because I really REALLY don't do water.  But I try not to let Buffy see that)
    Get a thicker vinyl paint drop cloth/tarp for over the top as a secondary tent and one for under it...  Cheap and effective!  Water resistant - yea - uh huh - Suuuuuuuure!!! I believe THAT one LOL...
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
    You can buy water resistant seam tape that will help out.  Also even the spray will get you some more effectiveness to help.  If you get a foot print or even a tarp for your tent, it not only helps even out the ground, but will keep you warmer because of some distance between you and the ground.  Make sure to put the rain fly up.  Grab some long underwear (real long underwear that snuggles next to your skin) for under your PJs and a hat (preferably wool so it'll stay warm even when wet) for head and hair.

I say just nicely say, "I don't feel like doing this."  Use it as a moment to teach Buffy that if she's not comfortable with something she's being asked to do, she doesn't have to do it b/c of peer pressure.  Get in the water, but don't jump.  As long as you're not in active freak out mode and stay calm, she should too.  

I'm a little perturbed at an adult who would assume all other adults would think YAY, polar plunge!  I've jumped into a 55 degree spring pool before, but it was 90 something outside and it still took some time to warm up.  
  • Options
    It may be all low pressure too--I had to miss the planning meeting because I can't make it to the Wendy's in my town by 6 pm on a worknight--so I got the synopsis via email--which makes tone hard to read.

I will talk to her about pushing back--keeping in mind this is a kid who hasn't yet peed at kindy because the bathroom toilet is to loud.  

I may actually have dropcloths in the back of the car I think, next to the mylar blankets (I bought a small case of them, I've kinda handed them out in the neighborhood where I work a few times in the winter) and I have good winter clothes--I"m always ALWAYS cold so I was kinda planning on over-packing that anyhow.
    Meijer will have the spray and such, I can hit that on Friday morning for anything else we need.

(my winter gear lives in my trunk anyhow, preparedness for the commute and winter roads)
  • Options
    Get some ThermaCare heat wraps.  I love those things... both when my back hurts and when it's frickin cold out. They are a requirement for when I go camping/fishing with DH.  I usually will take 2 of them and use both if it's really cold out. But, the heat may help you warm up more quickly.

• Options
    Oh, I have some of the heaty handwarmers in with the hunting gear, AND, the Mr. got me a Zippo handwarmer last year that I almost forgot.

w00t!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards