Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Can this be converted into a corset?

This dress is a smooth, slightly thinner satin material, and I want to convert it into a corset back. I just love the way the corset back shapes my body. I was so into the moment when I ordered that I didn't think to ask about this. Can this type of material, and this dress be altered to a corset back? I'm going to ask the seamstress when my dress comes in, but that won't be until December. 

Re: Can this be converted into a corset?

• Options
    I would say probably but it wouldn't be a very long one since it has a lower back and the embellishments at the waist. It might not give the desired effect you want with a corset.
  • Options
    Not one that looks good. There's only a few inches of space. A corset back is going to look silly and tacked on, and will destroy the beautiful line of the dress. It also won't really do anything for your shape since it will be practically non-existent. Just have the dress altered to fit perfectly and it will look great.
  • Options
    alhaley88alhaley88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    The embellishment is just a belt pictured. It doesn't actually come with the embellishment. And the back actually doesn't go that low, at least not on me.
  • Options
    I have to agree with PPs, I think a corset back would spoil the clean line of this dress. These kind of dresses usually have so much internal structure and support that you wouldn't notice much difference if you had a corset back. Beautiful dress by the way!
  • Options
    Even without the belt, there isn't enough room from the top of the back of the dress to the tailbone for a corset back. You would get maybe three crosses before you got to your rear end. I think it would end up looking weird if you were to add one. The dress is beautiful as is and you didn't even think about a corset back when you found it. I don't think you will miss it in the end.
  • Options
    I think it would ruin the overall look and lines of the dress.

• Options
    Thanks. I think I just need to look for some shaping undergarments, like a corset bra instead. @littlemushroom you're absolutely right. When I fell in love with it I didn't even think about swapping it to a corset, so I probably wouldn't miss it.

Let me ask you all this......Can they cover the zipper with buttons? I just dislike the simpleness of just having a zipper. Would this dress look okay with the buttons? Should I just leave it alone? I'm a hot mess right now about the back of this dress! HAHA

Thanks for all of your input!
  • Options
    Have you considered an inner corset?  Since it is mainly the shape you are looking for rather then the look, an inner corset may be a better plan.  Or you can find a corset/bustier that is comfortable and gives you the shape that you want and then have it sewn into your dress.

And they should be able to add buttons and loops so that the zipper can be covered.  I agree with you, I am not a fan of just a zipper.

• Options
    Oh @Maggie0829 I will have to look into the inner corset thing! Thanks for that suggestion! In regards to the buttons, I wasn't sure if it would look ok with this style dress? I was told on another post about accessories that this has a modern look, and to steer clear of more classic accessories (like pearls), so want to make sure buttons will mesh with this style :)
  • Options
    I think the buttons would look great with the dress.  Yeah the dress has a more modern style, but I personally don't think you can ever go wrong with fabric covered buttons.

Here is a picture of a very similar dress (lace bodice instead of satin, but very similar skirt and overall shape) that has buttons down the back.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards