Budget Weddings Forum

Torn Between Two Venues - Help!

edited September 2015 in Budget Weddings Forum
Hi there everyone!

I wanted to ask your opinions on two different venues my fiancé and I are stuck on. Both are about the same price and in our budget, both accommodate our guest list (125 invites, expecting 80-125), AND both have our vision of an outdoor green/natural vibe. 

HOWEVER, they both are pretty equal when it comes to pros and cons, and we just can't pick! Our families have not been much help, as they want us to 'choose what we like.' The problem is we have loved both after seeing them in person and would like to hear some opinions from others who are either planning a wedding or have done it before.

Here goes! 
Option 1: An Elegant Garden Wedding
Pros: All inclusive (including cake and seasonal flowers the the table. big plus!), close to home (for a bunch at my parents house after), and centrally located for guests to enjoy other attractions nearby. Cons: limited room to personalize (You only get to pick your linen colors. Cake is a 3 layer carrot cake and flowers are whatever is in season), and it is a 4 hr rental vs the standard 5.

Option 2: A Pinterest-Lover's Wet Dream
http://saratoga-springs.com/wedding/ Pros: Includes linens, tables, lights, and chairs. Has a fire pit, outdoor heaters, and unique BBQ catering. Room to personalize. Cons: It's in the middle of nowhere for nearly all our family (8+ hour drives or plane rides + an 1 hr drive from the nearest airport). There is no plan B for rain (not a deal breaker, as this is CA!).

Let me know what you think and which option sounds most appealing! Also, if you think of any other pros/cons please let me know!!

Re: Torn Between Two Venues - Help!

• Hi there everyone!

I wanted to ask your opinions on two different venues my fiancé and I are stuck on. Both are about the same price and in our budget, both accommodate our guest list (125 invites, expecting 80-125), AND both have our vision of an outdoor green/natural vibe. 

HOWEVER, there both are pretty equal when it comes to pros and cons, and we just can't pick! Our families have not been much help, as they want us to 'choose what we like.' The problem is we have loved both after seeing them in person and would like to hear some opinions from others who are either planning a wedding or have done it before.

Here goes! 
    Pros: All inclusive (including cake and seasonal flowers the the table. big plus!), close to home (for a bunch at my parents house after), and centrally located for guests to enjoy other attractions nearby (Disneyland, Laguna Beach, San Diego, etc). Cons: limited room to personalize (You only get to pick your linen colors. Cake is a 3 layer carrot cake and flowers are whatever is white to pale pink and in season), and it is a 4 hr rental vs the standard 5.

http://saratoga-springs.com/wedding/ Pros: Includes linens, tables, lights, and chairs. Has a fire pit, outdoor heaters, and unique BBQ catering Cons: It's in the middle of nowhere for nearly all our family (8+ hour drives or plane rides + an 1 hr drive from the nearest airport). There is no plan B for rain (not a deal breaker, as this is CA!).

Let me know what you think and which option sounds most appealing! Also, if you think of any other pros/cons please let me know!!

Seriously?  This just made me gag.

That said, I'd eliminate #2 because of the travel.  I'd pick #1, but see what they could do to change out the carrot cake.  That's ridiculous to just give one flavor (and one that I don't like!)
  • Hi there everyone!

HOWEVER, there both are pretty equal when it comes to pros and cons, and we just can't pick! Our families have not been much help, as they want us to 'choose what we like.' The problem is we have loved both after seeing them in person and would like to hear some opinions from others who are either planning a wedding or have done it before.

Here goes! 
    Pros: All inclusive (including cake and seasonal flowers the the table. big plus!), close to home (for a bunch at my parents house after), and centrally located for guests to enjoy other attractions nearby (Disneyland, Laguna Beach, San Diego, etc). Cons: limited room to personalize (You only get to pick your linen colors. Cake is a 3 layer carrot cake and flowers are whatever is white to pale pink and in season), and it is a 4 hr rental vs the standard 5.

http://saratoga-springs.com/wedding/ Pros: Includes linens, tables, lights, and chairs. Has a fire pit, outdoor heaters, and unique BBQ catering Cons: It's in the middle of nowhere for nearly all our family (8+ hour drives or plane rides + an 1 hr drive from the nearest airport). There is no plan B for rain (not a deal breaker, as this is CA!).

I agree with PP on their points, but a note on the bolded that you should have a plan B in case of weather, even if it is not rain in CA temperature could be too hot to have an outdoor wedding. Is there an ability to put up tents at all? If not, I'd scratch that one from your list as well.  
  • edited September 2015
    Many thanks for the advice (and the Pinterest nod was a joke :D)!
  • I would go with option 1 and ask to negotiate or even pay more for a different type of cake and more time. 

I live in Southern CA and we say it's 75 and sunny here all the time but It's just not true. We do get crazy heat and we do get rain and we get cold overnight temperatures. I'm not sure when you are planning your wedding for but we are expecting a TON of rain in California in 2016 with the El Nino year. 

Option 1 sounds more convenient as well. 
  • Pick the cheaper one that is closest to your home or the majority of your guests.
  • What's to think about? All things being equal between the two venues, would you actually consider inconveniencing your guests and possible weather complications?

Hands down, I'd pick #1. Seasonal, complimentary flowers in that setting=huge plus. If you don't like carrot cake, hire another baker and ask #1 to serve extra apps, or alternate dessert in place of the wedding cake. Try to negotiate an extra hour. 

• Option 3) Keep looking...

Even though it's California, you always want a weather backup. 

• My cousin got married in Temecula in June outdoors because it fit her "vision" and it was hot as shit until the sun went down.  It was not fun.  

So yeah, even though I think the limitations on #1 are kind of lame, I'd go with that option.  

Or keep looking til you find something better that's convenient for guests but also allows you to have some creativity.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • We chose a venue a lot like your option two. It's beautiful and perfect but the travel is not. Everyone keeps telling me if they love you and want to be there they'll come. Also the carrot cake thing really threw me off. The time limit or 4 hours is also small. The cake is a big part of your wedding and it would be hard for me to settle for carrot cake. Keep looking till you find something perfect if you still can't decide.
  • Choose what is most convenient and comfortable for your guests.  The reception is a party for them, not for you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think both sound great....but the one that is closest and near attractions would be most practical.  That doesn't mean the other one can't work - but, it just isn't as easy; for you or your guests while planning.  We are getting married in Orange County, near Disney, but we live 2 hours north of it.  We have to drive down every few weeks to meet with vendors, do tastings, etc...even small things like my hair and make up trial are down there, so I have to trek down there just for that.  

I am also a wedding officiant.  Always have a back up plan for weather!  I did a wedding in the middle of this June and "sunny California" got a torrential downpour that day.  All the tables, plates and favors were soaked.  The MOH had mud splash all over her dress.  And there was no back up, so they got married in the pouring rain, with thunder and all.  We made the best of it, and the bride's dad held up an umbrella over the bride and groom, but everyone else got soaked.  Thank God I had their ceremony on paper an not a tablet.  But the ink was running down the page towards the end of the ceremony; and it was hard to read.  After the ceremony, the bride's dress was pretty much destroyed on the bottom (due to mud and debris).  They took it in stride, but it is something you definitely have to consider. 

Not to give you more to think about, but our reception location is super affordable and you can either get your cake from a nearby bakery (no cutting charge if you do) or they'll bake one for you, and flavor, at $3 slice.  :-)  I'm not sure it would fit your theme though, it is inside and more English brick building type of style.  It's called Westminster Manor, in Westminter, CA.
  • We chose a venue a lot like your option two. It's beautiful and perfect but the travel is not. Everyone keeps telling me if they love you and want to be there they'll come. Also the carrot cake thing really threw me off. The time limit or 4 hours is also small. The cake is a big part of your wedding and it would be hard for me to settle for carrot cake. Keep looking till you find something perfect if you still can't decide.
    That's just not fair to your guests. Loving someone and wanting to attend an event doesn't change things like work time off or the financial ability to travel, etc. 

I think both sound great....but the one that is closest and near attractions would be most practical.  That doesn't mean the other one can't work - but, it just isn't as easy; for you or your guests while planning.  We are getting married in Orange County, near Disney, but we live 2 hours north of it.  We have to drive down every few weeks to meet with vendors, do tastings, etc...even small things like my hair and make up trial are down there, so I have to trek down there just for that.  

I am also a wedding officiant.  Always have a back up plan for weather!  I did a wedding in the middle of this June and "sunny California" got a torrential downpour that day.  All the tables, plates and favors were soaked.  The MOH had mud splash all over her dress.  And there was no back up, so they got married in the pouring rain, with thunder and all.  We made the best of it, and the bride's dad held up an umbrella over the bride and groom, but everyone else got soaked.  Thank God I had their ceremony on paper an not a tablet.  But the ink was running down the page towards the end of the ceremony; and it was hard to read.  After the ceremony, the bride's dress was pretty much destroyed on the bottom (due to mud and debris).  They took it in stride, but it is something you definitely have to consider. 

Not to give you more to think about, but our reception location is super affordable and you can either get your cake from a nearby bakery (no cutting charge if you do) or they'll bake one for you, and flavor, at $3 slice.  :-)  I'm not sure it would fit your theme though, it is inside and more English brick building type of style.  It's called Westminster Manor, in Westminter, CA.
    And this is just insane. There is no one in the world for whom I would subject myself to sitting through this in cocktail attire because of their poor planning. That is so incredibly rude of the couple. I hope none of their guests caught pneumonia. I would have been out of there and in my car in a flash.
  • I think both sound great....but the one that is closest and near attractions would be most practical.  That doesn't mean the other one can't work - but, it just isn't as easy; for you or your guests while planning.  We are getting married in Orange County, near Disney, but we live 2 hours north of it.  We have to drive down every few weeks to meet with vendors, do tastings, etc...even small things like my hair and make up trial are down there, so I have to trek down there just for that.  

No way, no how would I sit through that ceremony.  They should have cancelled if everyone was going to sit through a rainstorm. That was just unbelievably rude!  I would have been back in my car quickly.  Just absolutely ridiculous.
  • kmmssg said:
    I think both sound great....but the one that is closest and near attractions would be most practical.  That doesn't mean the other one can't work - but, it just isn't as easy; for you or your guests while planning.  We are getting married in Orange County, near Disney, but we live 2 hours north of it.  We have to drive down every few weeks to meet with vendors, do tastings, etc...even small things like my hair and make up trial are down there, so I have to trek down there just for that.  

No way, no how would I sit through that ceremony.  They should have cancelled if everyone was going to sit through a rainstorm. That was just unbelievably rude!  I would have been back in my car quickly.  Just absolutely ridiculous.

There is absolutely no "best" to be made of this.  Guests were served on these rain soaked plates?  Guests ate in pouring rain while soaked to the skin?  I would have left immediately.
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    kmmssg said:

The bride and groom probably thought it was "just so romantic" 

I'm still stuck on carrot cake for a wedding cake.  ...What?  That's so particular to be the mandatory cake flavor.  Like others said, try to negotiate the dessert and the time limit.  We extended our reception by an hour for pretty cheap, and we subbed out the dessert for appetizers.  It can be done.  If they're not willing to budge at all, that doesn't bode that well for their service.

If you can't make venue 1 work, #2 is ok if you can set up some nice tents.  DON'T choose #2 without any tents.  

SaveSave
  • Hands down I would choose the first option due to the second option not having a back up for rain. Also, my venue was in the middle of nowhere but that's where the majority of our guest lived and was still within a 15 minute drive of hotels and 45 minutes to airports 
    (which we didn't have anyone fly in).

• A few people commenting on my bride & groom who decided to have the rain soaked wedding....yes, everyone got soaked. Someone did bring in umbrellas and tents for the reception.  Because the rain started before the umbrellas/tents arrived, yes, all the chairs, dishes, napkins, favors, utensils, etc...were wet.  But, I guess technically, they did not have to eat in the rain; since the tents went up before food was served.  (I'm not saying this is okay, just saying this is what it was).

The brides room was indoors.  And, about 30% her guests would have fit in there.  Another 10% could be on the covered patio outside the door, and the rest could be in the small covered hallway going to the outside area.  A few people, including myself, tried to convince her to go this route.  But, she would not do it.  Being a paid vendor, I did what my client asked me to do, and held the ceremony outside.  

What I meant by the guests making the best of it was, they did just that.  Everyone went outside, nobody sat (as the chairs were wet) and a few had umbrellas, and they shared where they could.  I didn't really hear anyone complain.  But, I don't think anyone was overjoyed, either.

Again, not saying this is what she SHOULD have done...just that it was what she did do.
  • A few people commenting on my bride & groom who decided to have the rain soaked wedding....yes, everyone got soaked. Someone did bring in umbrellas and tents for the reception.  Because the rain started before the umbrellas/tents arrived, yes, all the chairs, dishes, napkins, favors, utensils, etc...were wet.  But, I guess technically, they did not have to eat in the rain; since the tents went up before food was served.  (I'm not saying this is okay, just saying this is what it was).

The brides room was indoors.  And, about 30% her guests would have fit in there.  Another 10% could be on the covered patio outside the door, and the rest could be in the small covered hallway going to the outside area.  A few people, including myself, tried to convince her to go this route.  But, she would not do it.  Being a paid vendor, I did what my client asked me to do, and held the ceremony outside.  

What I meant by the guests making the best of it was, they did just that.  Everyone went outside, nobody sat (as the chairs were wet) and a few had umbrellas, and they shared where they could.  I didn't really hear anyone complain.  But, I don't think anyone was overjoyed, either.

Again, not saying this is what she SHOULD have done...just that it was what she did do.

I didn't think this was something you advised her to do.  I was picturing a bride whose vision was far more important than her guests.  I was right.  And we all know that no one complains to the couple, but they sure do talk about stuff like this for a long time to come.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards