Chit Chat

Did I make the right choice?

My boss is absolutely amazing, I really like her.  She called me in today to mention that someone was needed to work on a big case, a murder, for at least a month starting at the end of November. (around here there is a high probability of that date being pushed back a week or two, and cases often run longer than anticipated)  She immediately thought of me, and wanted to know how I would feel about doing it because I am due with my first child in late January.

I, of course, was thrilled!  I explained that I would love to do it, but wanted to make sure that the person leading the case would be ok with me working on it with him.  He is a very, very accomplished attorney in a high position.  If I had to miss a day, or something happened and I had to leave work early, it would be an inconvenience to him.

She decided at that point that maybe it would be better to give me the next one when I return from maternity, but she wanted me to know that I was the first person she thought of.

Did I say the right thing?  I am second guessing myself now!  I did speak to the last person to work with this attorney on a big case.  He said it was very stressful and he would get calls in the middle of the night about things that needed to be done the next day, etc.

Re: Did I make the right choice?

• I've never been pregnant, but from what I have heard, I think you are overestimating your willingness and ability to get a lot done towards the end!  You definitely said the right thing.  The attorney probably wouldn't understand your situation fully and you don't want to damage future working relationships with them.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think you did the right thing.  I work in a law firm and there are attorneys who have a reputation for needing stuff at all hours.  They don't usually change their habits because they have gotten used to how things work for them.  You could only potentially anger the big attorney by not being as responsive as necessary. 

Also, you need to make sure that you can keep yourself healthy with good nights of sleep.  You would have been probably working tirelessly during the trial.  We hardly go to trial as my group deals with large complex cases that can take years, but when we are on trial, it is so crazy with many late nights.

• I agree that you did the right thing.  I've not worked for attorneys in a law firm, but my former boss was a former litigator, and he was the type that wanted stuff when he wanted it, no matter what hour or day as he came from a "big law" background.  Your first priority at this point is delivering a healthy baby and keeping yourself healthy, so working on a big case like that probably wouldn't help you do that.  

Also, it's a big plus that you were the first person your boss thought of!  I'm sure there will be another good case to work on after you're back to work.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Thanks for the reassurance!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards