New York-Hudson Valley

Obtained marriage license in NYC, got married in NYS - where to send completed license??

Ok, so this is a bit confusing and thank you in advance for reading:

FACTS:
To marry in NYS, you can obtain your marriage license in NYS or NYC.
In NYS, a marriage performed by someone who became ordained online is acceptable (without that person having to register with the clerk's office in person).
In NYC, online ordainment is also acceptable, BUT, the person marrying you must register with the city at least 30 days before the wedding.

NOW:
We obtained our marriage license in NYC.
We married in Ulster County (in NYS).
The person who married us got ordained online, but did not register with the city or state beforehand (fine).
The person who married us returned the executed marriage license to NYC (eeek!).

So here are my questions:

1) Will NYC issue us a marriage certificate since we got married outside of NYC (but in NYS), and does it matter that our "minister" didn't register with NYC city first?

2) If NYC cannot issue a marriage cert, will they return the original license, so that we can mail it to the Ulster County clerk's office instead??

Thank you!!

Lauren

Answers

• Hmm. We got married in Orange County, but our marriage license was issued in Rockland where we live. I mailed it in to Rockland since they issued it. 
    I'm thinking that it will be returned by NYC if your minister wasn't registered with them. And I don't know that you can then send that one to Ulster if it was issued originally by NYC. I think you might have to have a new one issued in Ulster County, which of course means both going there in person. 

Maybe you can call the office in NYC that issued the original one and ask them? 
  • You should go to the license bureau in NYC.  This is a unique situation and you want to make sure everything is legal.  Worth taking a day off to do and bring all your ID's, address, marriage papers, receipt from venue, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards