Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Can't throw anything outside our church

I'm trying to think of something to do for exiting the church. Our church is 160 years old so we cannot throw flowers, balloons, bubbles, sparklers, you name it nothing. I'm trying to think if there is anything we possibly can do to capture a photo exiting the church. Any ideas?

Re: Can't throw anything outside our church

• I'm trying to think of something to do for exiting the church. Our church is 160 years old so we cannot throw flowers, balloons, bubbles, sparklers, you name it nothing. I'm trying to think if there is anything we possibly can do to capture a photo exiting the church. Any ideas?

The only thing you could probably do is have people wave ribbon wands.  I'm not really sure how well it would enhance a photo, however.

Is there any hobby that is significant to you and your FI?  I once attended a wedding where an arch was made from oars, because the couple were both rowers in college.
  • I have to be honest, Hollywood is the only place I've seen things thrown at weddings.      Most of the ceremonies I've attended the couple is rushed off to start photos and the guests move on to the reception.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've been to weddings where birdseed is thrown and sparklers are used.   But it's such a pain as a guest to do that that I'd rather just cheer.   It's easy and free. 

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I've always been under the impression that the time for a grand exit is after the reception. If you're having the reception at another location, I'd save the grand exit until then. But even then, I myself wouldn't use sparklers, rice, bubbles, birdseed, or whatever because it's messy to clean up. If you don't clean it up yourself (which isn't likely), you have to pay for someone else to do it and you might get charged extra for it by the venue.
  • scribe95 said:
    We used bubbles. What can they possibly have against that?
    Both my daughter and son used bubbles as well.  I have to say that their exit from church with guests blowing bubbles did result in some of my favorite pictures.  I also wondered how/why bubbles would be banned.  My only thought was that this church has an outdoor surface that might cause it to become slippery when wet, or that the bubble residue could somehow stain the surface?
  • The priest told us the moisture could ruin the facade. Can I just point out the church is in Buffalo NY where it snows non stop. Apparently that's not ruining the church, just my bubbles are. I wanted to release blush and white balloons that was also a moisture issue. I don't even know how that'spossible.
  • Are they even against birdseed? I feel like birdseed is harmless and the birds will clean that up themselves, everyone is happy. Honestly I didn't realize you throw stuff after the ceremony, I thought that was after the reception. If you can't do anything I'd just wait and do a last dance and then sendoff for the reception so you can do whatever you'd like (bubbles, sparklers, etc...)

Or honestly I bet you'd get great pictures just having everyone lined up outside the church cheering as you leave. Give your new husband another kiss at the church steps, it'll be an awesome photo!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited October 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    The priest told us the moisture could ruin the facade. Can I just point out the church is in Buffalo NY where it snows non stop. Apparently that's not ruining the church, just my bubbles are. I wanted to release blush and white balloons that was also a moisture issue. I don't even know how that'spossible.

stupid boxes

Most likely it's the chemicals in the bubbles that might cause an issue.  Never, heard that, but maybe that is what they are talking about.   Or simply the just do not like anything thrown or released and feel the need to make excuses on why.

I hate when people release balloons.  Sure they look cool, but once they leave your picture frame they become nothing but litter for the rest of us.   And please, do not give me the "they are biodegradable" excuse.   Sure they might be biodegradable, but it's not like they biodegrade as soon as they hit the ground or the tree limb they get stuck on.  Animals can still try and eat them.

Birdseed:   What goes up, must come down.   So after you throw the seeds they end up on the ground.  Ends up being a hazard for people to walk on.  In this sue happy world guess who the guests sue when they have a slip and fall?

Sorry to be the Debbie downer, but these things are in place for a reason.   Pretty pictures are not worth a slip and fall of your guests or littering our landscapes.

The bubbles on the steps can also cause the surface to become slippery and a hazard. That is why we couldn't do anything at the church where my daughter was married. We have one of my favorite pictures with the wedding party lining the steps and B&G coming down the steps. Guest were on the steps behind the WP. Really no need to throw anything!
  • In addition to a slip and  fall hazard, birdseed attracts birds who poop all over everything. It also attracts rodents. 

• The priest told us the moisture could ruin the facade. Can I just point out the church is in Buffalo NY where it snows non stop. Apparently that's not ruining the church, just my bubbles are. I wanted to release blush and white balloons that was also a moisture issue. I don't even know how that'spossible.

Maybe the snow (and rain) is ruining the façade. It might be a new policy.  It could be that the priest wants to avoid additional damage caused by additional moisture, such as bubbles, because the church is already dealing with façade damage caused by snow and rain.

• Have your photographer in the Choir Loft and all of your guests congregate for a group picture underneath... Or everyone together as a group at the Altar...  We did a group picture like this for my daughter's First Communion with the Priest included and it's probably my most favorite picture from the day (there were about 40 of us) up on the wall - it's all of our "family" including personal friends.  But more importantly, if we'd have done a picture like that at our wedding looking back there are people not here with us anymore that it'd been wonderful to have a picture with!

Birdseed also is just that - seeds - Typically there are thistle seeds included...  If that gets into the grass, it means not only birds everywhere, but rodents, but worse, tons of chemicals to get rid of the stuff...  As for the bubbles being an issue - my guess is that one is coming from the Priest doesn't like that type of stuff, not "damaging the stone"...  Sparklers are a fire hazard..  Petals, seed, poppers, etc. all are a mess for the maintenance guy to clean up and that costs the parish money. 

I'm with the PP though - the only time I've seen that type of thing is in Hollywood or bridal magazines... never real life...  The last time IRL I saw it was in the EARLY 90's... 

• Can I just say that I don't understand the point of throwing things.  Sorry not sorry but I really don't feel like picking rice, birdseed, or confetti out of my hair and down my chest all night.

• Can I just say that I don't understand the point of throwing things.  Sorry not sorry but I really don't feel like picking rice, birdseed, or confetti out of my hair and down my chest all night.
    Lol! They don't call them crumb-catchers for nothin'! ;) That would be an extremely irritating sensation, not to mention constantly putting your hand down your shirt on the most-photographed day of your life. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We couldn't either.. We did wedding wands.. they were ok but not what I had thought they would look like in the pictures. Friends brother did them and their pictures turned out amazing using them.. I think it might depend on the colors you use and the photographer getting a good angle.
  • edited October 2015
    I have the same issue with our venue, we are using the ring for a kiss bells for our exit.

Etc: words. My phone has no idea what I'm talking about.
  • I'm from Buffalo originally and got married there, what church is it?? I've never heard of anyone having that big of a problem.

I agree with PPs, you don't need anything to throw people will be clapping and cheering when you leave, which will be a great picture. We didn't plan anything although I guess someone brought bubbles to ours because there were some there. I didn't care and just was planning on walking out of the church.

You could always do sparklers when you leave the reception if you want an "exit" picture, but all in all not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about. You will have just married your husband when you leave the church and your happy excited faces are what's going to make the pictures wonderful not something being thrown or released.
  • I'm from Buffalo originally and got married there, what church is it?? I've never heard of anyone having that big of a problem. I agree with PPs, you don't need anything to throw people will be clapping and cheering when you leave, which will be a great picture. We didn't plan anything although I guess someone brought bubbles to ours because there were some there. I didn't care and just was planning on walking out of the church. You could always do sparklers when you leave the reception if you want an "exit" picture, but all in all not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about. You will have just married your husband when you leave the church and your happy excited faces are what's going to make the pictures wonderful not something being thrown or released.
    She straight up said that her venue doesn't allow sparklers.  A lot of venues don't allow them because they're a fire hazard.

• Viczaesar said:

I'm from Buffalo originally and got married there, what church is it?? I've never heard of anyone having that big of a problem.

I agree with PPs, you don't need anything to throw people will be clapping and cheering when you leave, which will be a great picture. We didn't plan anything although I guess someone brought bubbles to ours because there were some there. I didn't care and just was planning on walking out of the church.

You could always do sparklers when you leave the reception if you want an "exit" picture, but all in all not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about. You will have just married your husband when you leave the church and your happy excited faces are what's going to make the pictures wonderful not something being thrown or released.

She straight up said that her venue doesn't allow sparklers.  A lot of venues don't allow them because they're a fire hazard.

That's why I suggested after the reception, assuming of course that the reception is not at the church. If the church doesn't allow anything to be thrown or used, if it's that important to OP what about for your entrance into or leaving from the reception.

Personally I don't think it's necessary. Like most all PPs have said leaving the church and having pictures with everyone clapping and cheering will be great. But if the church doesn't allow anything at all to be thrown OP can either find something to be waved or do something (balloons, sparklers, etc) before or after the reception.
  • I'm from Buffalo originally and got married there, what church is it?? I've never heard of anyone having that big of a problem. I agree with PPs, you don't need anything to throw people will be clapping and cheering when you leave, which will be a great picture. We didn't plan anything although I guess someone brought bubbles to ours because there were some there. I didn't care and just was planning on walking out of the church. You could always do sparklers when you leave the reception if you want an "exit" picture, but all in all not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about. You will have just married your husband when you leave the church and your happy excited faces are what's going to make the pictures wonderful not something being thrown or released.
    That's why I suggested after the reception, assuming of course that the reception is not at the church. If the church doesn't allow anything to be thrown or used, if it's that important to OP what about for your entrance into or leaving from the reception. Personally I don't think it's necessary. Like most all PPs have said leaving the church and having pictures with everyone clapping and cheering will be great. But if the church doesn't allow anything at all to be thrown OP can either find something to be waved or do something (balloons, sparklers, etc) before or after the reception.
    Ah, got you.  Sorry, I misread reception as ceremony. 

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    The priest told us the moisture could ruin the facade. Can I just point out the church is in Buffalo NY where it snows non stop. Apparently that's not ruining the church, just my bubbles are. I wanted to release blush and white balloons that was also a moisture issue. I don't even know how that'spossible.

stupid boxes

Most likely it's the chemicals in the bubbles that might cause an issue.  Never, heard that, but maybe that is what they are talking about.   Or simply the just do not like anything thrown or released and feel the need to make excuses on why.

I hate when people release balloons.  Sure they look cool, but once they leave your picture frame they become nothing but litter for the rest of us.   And please, do not give me the "they are biodegradable" excuse.   Sure they might be biodegradable, but it's not like they biodegrade as soon as they hit the ground or the tree limb they get stuck on.  Animals can still try and eat them.

Birdseed:   What goes up, must come down.   So after you throw the seeds they end up on the ground.  Ends up being a hazard for people to walk on.  In this sue happy world guess who the guests sue when they have a slip and fall?

Sorry to be the Debbie downer, but these things are in place for a reason.   Pretty pictures are not worth a slip and fall of your guests or littering our landscapes.

The bubbles on the steps can also cause the surface to become slippery and a hazard. That is why we couldn't do anything at the church where my daughter was married. We have one of my favorite pictures with the wedding party lining the steps and B&G coming down the steps. Guest were on the steps behind the WP. Really no need to throw anything! ETF stupid boxes

I saw this happen IRL.  We were actually at Disney World (Crystal Palace, for any WDW fans), standing outside waiting for a table, and these two boys had those bubble guns and they were blowing bubbles everywhere.  Everyone loved it, but the steps got supper slippery and a toddler went down, hard.  Luckily, it didn't look like she was seriously hurt, but that was the end of the bubbles.
  • Like some have said, you don't need anything. There are some excellent photos from my cousin's recent wedding of the guests clapping and cheering and putting out their hand to high five on the way down.

And even if you were allowed sparklers, I discourage them. They fill the air with this horrid choking smoke and if you have anything other than a very small wedding (the wedding I attended had about 75-80 people), it's a pain to get them all lit and ready to go before the first lit ones are starting to burn out. And if you have kids who aren't always well behaved, then there are kids running around with them, grabbing extras to play with and just about setting people or the yard on fire.
  • Two ideas...

1. Have your photographer photoshop something into ONE of your photos. It might not have actually happened - but I'm thinking you may be more interested in the photos of it, then in actually having things land on you. Have everyone throw their arms up in the air and get the photographer to do the rest.

2. This will sound absurd at first but go with me on this- I've seen it done. At a wedding I attended the bride and groom had the same issue - so they went to a dollar store and bought dozens of small rubber bouncy balls - The had everyone bounce them off the pavement into the air. They were small enough that they wouldn't hurt anyone coming down. It was a really kooky site - but it worked. Everyone only had to pick up one ball, for easy no mess clean up - and the little kids mostly got to them all in under 1 min. (Note this cannot be done on a busy street and there is a tripping potential, so everyone has to be instructed to stand still.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards