Nevada-Las Vegas

9.26.15 Reviews, Part 3 (Masterpiece Catering, Retro Bakery, Current Events Rental, Paris)

Masterpiece Catering - A+++

Masterpiece was a breeze to work with from start to finish. Scott was extremely helpful with his advice and helping us to choose the right package. Chris helped us immensely with info/advice about the Vista Suite and many other details. He is super super nice, professional, and had prompt responses. All of the staff they sent (event captain, server, chef, bartender) were also fantastic! There was never one issue. I had a friend let them in while we were taking pictures, and they just set up and did their thing...and did it wonderfully! They also cleaned up everything when they left so that there was not even a trace of evidence that they were there.

The food was delicious, and we received many compliments. We ordered the tri-tip sliders, stuffed mushrooms, citrus shrimp, proscuitto wrapped asparagus, lobster mac & cheese, chicken lettuce wraps, and the flavor wall with the seared tuna & bacon options. The only complaint was the seared tuna app had waaay too much wasabi for most people's tastes. There was plenty of food, and the chef told me we had some healthy eaters! haha.

As happens, my husband and I were very busy mingling with guests and taking pictures, so the server offered to make us both plates, which was very sweet and helpful! It may have taken me about an hour and a half to eat everything off my plate, but at least it was there. :)

The bartender was also great and got good reviews from our guests. My hubby was so impressed that he tipped extra on top of what we had already given him. The bartender even left tons of booze, mixers, and water behind for us to keep the party going. Sadly, we still ended up with so much left over the next morning, but as we've learned in Vegas, just set it out in the hallway with a "Free" sign, and it will be gone in moments!

All and all, Masterpiece was a flawless operation from start to finish. I never had one bit of anxiety about them. They are pros at doing in-suite events, and you can't go wrong hiring them for yours!

Retro Bakery - A+

My husband and I are admittedly cake snobs. We were very nervous about booking a baker from across the country without ever trying the cake. However, we couldn't have picked a better one. I only wish they had a location back home!

We ordered a 6 inch cake for cutting, along with 9 dozen mini cupcakes, and they were some of the best I've ever had. The guest favorite was the Hop Scotch, but they loved them all. We also ordered Pucker Up, Cookies & Cream, Milk & Cookies, Chocolate Loves Vanilla, and Red Carpet (my favorite). Our cake was Chocolate Loves Vanilla, and every slice was devoured. Sadly, despite how much we enjoyed them, we had sooo many cupcakes left over. I only hope that some hotel employees were able to enjoy them. I would have taken them home if I could.

I was not there when everything was delivered and set up, but it appears to have gone flawlessly. When we got to the suite for the reception, everything was set up beautifully. I was able to send Brian some pictures and describe exactly what I wanted, and he made it come together just right.

We may have to take a little road trip to Retro next time we are in Vegas. I need another Red Carpet!

Current Events Rental - F

We are so fortunate that everything went to smoothly with most of our vendors, but I guess they can't all be perfect. And Current Events was not...far from it.

They were very nice to deal with over the phone, when I placed my order. I was very put off by the insane delivery charge to pick up rentals on a Sunday (it was over 3x the amount of the rental items themselves), but it was a little less than RSVP. We didn't want the hassle of picking up/dropping off ourselves so we just sucked it up.

We ordered three high top cocktail tables, 10 folding chairs, and a trash can. Delivery was on time, and the items were nice and met our needs. Pickup is where everything went wrong.

We had contracted for pickup to occur between 9-10 a.m. on Sunday, since we had to be checked out from Mandalay Bay by 11 a.m. By 10:15 a.m., they had not arrived nor made any communication with us that they would be late. I called their office, which is closed on Sunday. I then called the emergency after-hours line listed on the contract. There was no answer, so I left a message asking for a status update and explaining that we had to be out by 11 a.m.

I tried to get a late check out from Mandalay Bay, but they were unable to accommodate us. By 10:30, I had received no response from Current Events, so I called again and left another message. I called again at 10:45 a.m. to let them know that after 11, we could no longer be responsible for what happened to the rental items. I asked Mandalay Bay guest services what to do with the items, and they said that housekeeping would remove them and send them to lost and found. I called Current Events at 11 to let them know this and tell them that we would expect reimbursement for any charges incurred for the extra housekeeping work.

About three hours later, someone from Current Events called me back and said the delivery driver lost track of time while working another event that morning. They said that they would retrieve the items from lost and found and not charge us anything extra. They also said they would reimburse us for any extra charges from MB housekeeping. However, I felt they could have been more apologetic and try harder to recover our service because I was very stressed out about incurring these extra charges or being held liable if something happened to the rental items. I was absolutely livid. Given the insane amount of money we paid for the "after-hours" delivery, I feel like they could have done more.

I would not recommend using this vendor.

However, if this is the only vendor we had a horrible experience with, I feel very fortunate. The others were just so wonderful!

Paris - A

We stayed at Paris our last two nights after the wedding since we had gotten engaged in Paris and thought it would be a nice tribute. Paris is a lovely property with a lot of charm and class. We stayed in a basic guest room which was nice, but certainly a downgrade after staying in the amazing Vista & Wraparound Terrace Suites prior. We got a credit for Gordon Ramsey Steak, which was so so good! Overall, we had a nice stay!

Re: 9.26.15 Reviews, Part 3 (Masterpiece Catering, Retro Bakery, Current Events Rental, Paris)

• I love the beds at Paris. It's hard to imagine somewhere better.

Amazing reviews, sounds like you had a wonderful time!
  • Wow that's such a shame about Current Events. The driver lost track of time?? What kind of excuse is that? And I agree they should have reimbursed you at least SOMETHING for the huuuuuge inconvenience that was.

I would put that review up on Yelp or something where someone can see it. That's pretty incompetetent and I feel you deserve more than what you got.

Glad everyone else was good though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards