Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Help matching this dress!!

J2K16J2K16 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited October 2015 in Attire & Accessories Forum
Does anyone have any ideas for color scheme, decor, or groomen outfits to match this dress? I was thinking navy with light pink, but didn’t know if anyone had other ideas!! For the groomsmen, we are not doing suits or tuxes. Thanks!!:)

Re: Help matching this dress!!

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Grey suits with a light pink or purple shirt?

ETA just saw you said no suits. Why not?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    thanks!! The groom doesn't want to wear a suit, and its an outside ceremony.
  • Options
    grey pants with vest, white shirt, and navy or pink or purple tie?
  • Options
    thank you!!
  • Options
    What does the groom intend to wear?
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    The groom and his groomsmen should man up and wear suits.  It's his wedding, for heaven's sake!  The groom and the groomsmen are supposed to wear the same thing.  Different colors are OK, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    J2K16J2K16 member
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    J2K16J2K16 member
    edited October 2015
  • Options

JoanE2012 said:

he will wear dress pants, button down shirt, and tie

• Options
    J2K16J2K16 member
    edited October 2015
    CMGragain said:
    The groom and his groomsmen should man up and wear suits.  It's his wedding, for heaven's sake!  The groom and the groomsmen are supposed to wear the same thing.  Different colors are OK, though.
    its his wedding, so shouldn't he wear what he is comfortable in?? Not sure wearing a suit requires him to "man up"
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Yes, he should be able to decide what he wears - within proper guidelines.  It is not OK if he wants to wear a bathing suit or a clown costume.
    Properly dressed men choose from the following:

Tuxedo  (only after 6:00 PM) or cutaway (daytime formal weddings).
    Suit
    Sports jacket or blazer with dress pants.

A shirt and tie worn without a jacket does not fall into any of these categories, though it is fine if he removes his jacket after the ceremony and goes comfortable for the reception.
    The groom is supposed to choose his clothing to match the formality of the bride and the wedding.  So, what are YOU wearing?  That is what helps determine what he wears.  If you are wearing a long wedding dress, a shirt and tie doesn't cut it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    J2K16J2K16 member
    edited October 2015

CMGragain said:
    Yes, he should be able to decide what he wears - within proper guidelines.  It is not OK if he wants to wear a bathing suit or a clown costume.
    Properly dressed men choose from the following:

Tuxedo  (only after 6:00 PM) or cutaway (daytime formal weddings).
    Suit
    Sports jacket or blazer with dress pants.

A shirt and tie worn without a jacket does not fall into any of these categories, though it is fine if he removes his jacket after the ceremony and goes comfortable for the reception.
    The groom is supposed to choose his clothing to match the formality of the bride and the wedding.  So, what are YOU wearing?  That is what helps determine what he wears.  If you are wearing a long wedding dress, a shirt and tie doesn't cut it.

He is wearing what he feels comfortable wearing, and what matches me and the venue.
    I just asked for suggestions on what would match based on what he/the groomsmen are going to wear, not what YOU consider proper.

• Options
    I don't make the rules.  Check any guide to gentleman's wear.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

I'm unaware of any rule that requires a groom to wear a suit.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I appreciate your suggestions but in the end we are going to do what we want and feel comfortable with. We make the "rules" for OUR wedding.
  • Options
    I'm unaware of any rule that requires a groom to wear a suit.
    yes, thank you- me either!!
  • Options
    I know that there are etiquette rules for weddings and I can appreciate that. But how is what the groom is wearing one of those rules? My groom and his groomsman are wearing khaki pants and white button down shirts and I will be wearing a long white dress. I look forward to seeing him in his choice of attire and think he will look amazing. If any of my guest choose to leave because of what he's wearing, then so be it. He'll be comfortable and I'll be just as in love with him.
  • Options
    HID14118 said:
    I know that there are etiquette rules for weddings and I can appreciate that. But how is what the groom is wearing one of those rules? My groom and his groomsman are wearing khaki pants and white button down shirts and I will be wearing a long white dress. I look forward to seeing him in his choice of attire and think he will look amazing. If any of my guest choose to leave because of what he's wearing, then so be it. He'll be comfortable and I'll be just as in love with him.

I completely agree with you and feel the same exact way!!! Thank you!!! :)
  • Options
    any others? :)
  • Options
    Ah, yes.  Another bride who asks for opinions, and then gets mad when the answers don't tell her what she wants to hear.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

I think it may be a generational thing. My mom got all over me because my FI isn't going to wear a suit. Or maybe a church wedding it would be more inline, but we are getting married outside and I'm not wearing a full-length dress.

My sister just got married and wore a long dress and the guys wore shirts and suspenders. I think it's just sort of a "changing of the guard." Just like brides used to always wear gloves.

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    Ah, yes.  Another bride who asks for opinions, and then gets mad when the answers don't tell her what she wants to hear.
    No, I appreciate every suggestion that I have been given. I'm not mad? I just don't appreciate when you say my fiancé needs to "man up and wear a suit." 
  • Options
    fyrchk- I agree! I think this is a newer trend, and we like it! We are getting married outside too, so it goes more with the feel of the venue to not wear a tux/suit.
    Thank you! :)
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

She didn't ask your opinion on whether or not her groom should were a suit or not. She asked for opinions on colors. Looks like your the one getting upset when someone doesn't agree with your opinion on something that wasn't even asked.
  • Options
    You can't tell someone how to post.  When you ask a question on the open internet, you will get a lot of different answers, not just the ones you want.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

You can't tell someone how to post.  When you ask a question on the open internet, you will get a lot of different answers, not just the ones you want.

And the same can be said about telling someone how to dress. And no one was telling you how to post, just pointing out there was a difference between what you answered and what was asked. You accused someone of getting mad over your opinion, when all they did was give their opinion back to you. So "man up" and maybe listen to your own words about different answers.
  • Options
    AGREED!
  • Options
    J2K16 said:

JoanE2012 said:

he will wear dress pants, button down shirt, and tie

You typed something, but then did a DD.  It is impossible to tell you groomsman attire ideas without knowing what the groom intends to wear.  
  • Options
    Eh, I am usually inclined to agree the groom/groomsmen need jackets. The deciding factor for me is the wedding gown. Even my dad was a bit horrified when SIL put the bridesmaids in sundresses and the groomsmen in tuxedos. The men were more appropriate given her gown and her groom's dress uniform, but the sundresses were better suited to the outdoor daytime wedding. There was an obvious mismatch.

Let's see the wedding gown, please! If it's on the formal side, the men need at least jackets, if not two/three piece suits.
  • Options

Here is my dress!

The groom/groomsmen will wear dress pants, button down, and tie/bow tie.

Also, here is where the ceremony space looks like.

Thank you all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards