Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination wedding in Belize

I am looking into having a wedding destination in Belize. Is there such thing of having my ceremony at the pyramids and the wedding reception close by at a nice resort?  Has anyone gotten married in Belize? Any helpful ideas or recommendations?

Re: Destination wedding in Belize

• I can't help with Belize itself, but there is a 3 day residency period, plus then 1-2 days of application forms and receiving the license to get married there.  I'd check with a wedding planner about getting married at the pyramids or the resorts.  

• I know a local travel agent in Belize who can arrange some pretty incredible things. Not sure if she can arrange a Maya ruin wedding, but I can check. She does really special romantic things for couples like rappeling into lush, private caves so she might be able to arrange a ruins wedding. 

The only ruins near a nice resort are Lamanai - the Lamanai Outpost Lodge. There are some spectacular small jungle lodges near Xunantunich, another small ruin, but not that close. Lamanai Outpost Lodge is full service but doesnt have that many rooms. 

One thing I should point out. I love Belize - have been there 5 times, but it is not a gay friendly country. If you have any gay guests they will likely decline the invitation, which is something to consider if they are close friends or family. 

• Do they have weddings in the Lamanai Outpost Lodge? How far are the ruins from the lodge?
  • Don't let other people sway you if this is what you like! You can also get married near there (waterfall wedding) and get some pictures at the temple. Either way, you won't be the first or the last to have a wedding there. 'I do belize' is a great place to start. Kelly is the wedding planner and she was really nice to deal with. I'm getting married on Ambergris Caye next month and I've heard nothing but amazing things so far. We plan on visiting Xunantunich while we're there and I've been told that's the best one to see. There are some gorgeous b&bs and hotels in the forest on the mainland. All the people I've dealt with are so incredibly helpful! Tripadvisor is another great resource to use for suggestions. Happy planning!!
  • No one is trying to dissuade the OP from marrying in Belize. They are trying to provide the OP with some things to consider when marrying there that perhaps the OP was unaware of when OP chose that destination.

Legal requirements are very important to understand, as it is considered poor etiquette to have a DW with guests in attendance and not have the ceremony be the actual wedding. Legal requirements were the main reason I did not get married in my first choice destination (and I didn't have any guests!) In addition, the country may not allow weddings near certain protected sites. I had specific protocols to follow because I got married in a National Park, so I'm aware that these things happen and I would want to know that stuff before I got too far into planning my wedding.

• Belize only requires you be in country for 3 days, and the day you get married counts as a day. There are also ways to get express licenses which only require a 1-day stay, but it's more costly. You also can get married on Mayan Ruin sites legally. 

@jells2dot0 telling the OP that this isn't a place one should get married seems like it's a bit dissuasive. If it's not, my bad. Just trying to help OP as well.

• Kate71421 said:
    Belize only requires you be in country for 3 days, and the day you get married counts as a day. There are also ways to get express licenses which only require a 1-day stay, but it's more costly. You also can get married on Mayan Ruin sites legally. 

@jells2dot0 telling the OP that this isn't a place one should get married seems like it's a bit dissuasive. If it's not, my bad. Just trying to help OP as well.

That comment wasn't about Belize itself, but rather getting married at the ruins. Some people genuinely don't understand the significance or history behind the ruins. It's not exactly a romantic background, but I see how it might make for "interesting" and "different" pictures.  Or perhaps the OP has some connection with the ruins and it has a different meaning in the relationship. Getting married on Ambergris is definitely different IMHO. If the OP understands the significance behind the ruins and is okay with that, then good for them!

• Kate71421 said:
    Belize only requires you be in country for 3 days, and the day you get married counts as a day. There are also ways to get express licenses which only require a 1-day stay, but it's more costly. You also can get married on Mayan Ruin sites legally. 

Yeah, I didn't mean 'don't get married in Belize.' I was just pointing out that a site where human beings ritually murdered other human beings a) doesn't exactly scream 'romantic' to me and b) a wedding in some other culture's sacred spot is really pretty disrespectful of that group of people and of history.
  • Yep. Guess like I said, misunderstood... my bad. To each their own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards