Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon on a budget...but with expensive taste! Help!

Okay so I have been driving myself crazy lately trying to find the perfect honeymoon. We are getting married in early April 2016 and would like to leave on our honeymoon the day after the wedding. We will be traveling from New Orleans. Our budget is $3,000 which seems like nothing compared to what we are looking for. We want anywhere in the Caribbean (minus Mexico, Jamaica, or Dominican republic ) for example anywhere such as st. Lucia, Virgin islands, Aruba, Puerto Rico, etc.. We REALLY want all inclusive but they are allllll way above our price range. I know April is in season so they are all pricey for that time but, we really don't want to have to settle for our honeymoon!

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Honeymoon on a budget...but with expensive taste! Help!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Cruises are similar to all inclusives, and are budget friendly.  Alcohol, tips and shore excursions are not included.  Here are some examples:

http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23807

http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=12654

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • This is probably not going to be for you since it sounds like you're really trying to fly somewhere a little more exotic, but we got married in New Orleans as well & immediately drove to Gulf Shores, AL. We had a beautiful condo, grilled out, drank wine on the beach, watched the sunsets every night, splurged on a private fishing charter...it was EVERYTHING we needed at the time. We had thrown our own large & somewhat lavish wedding, entertained people for 4 days straight with a hosted cocktail reception Thurs, formal rehearsal dinner Fri, big wedding Sat, and hosted brunch on Sunday. After all that, "simple" was what we really needed. I wanted to be face down in a hammock or have my feet in the sand somewhere alone with my new husband where I could hear the waves crashing morning & night. Gulf Shores is not "glamorous" but it was the most romantic 4 days I have ever had.

Full disclosure, that was more of a mini-moon & We are headed to Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora in Nov for our actual HM but looking back on it, I wouldn't have traded those days in Gulf Shores for a gold-studded trip to Dubai. Something to think about. The beaches are indeed beautiful there. It was a million dollar experience on a low budget. French Polonesia is going to cost an arm & a leg & of course we're excited about it but in my mind those 4 days in Gulf Shores will always be our REAL HM - b/c we were together & had a blast. (And I could finally relax after throwing that massive party!)

One more place I've been that is accessible from New Orleans is Nicaragua. San Juan Del Sur is beautiful, the sunsets are unmatched. It's a bit less commercialized than Costa Rica and thus less expensive. I did a surf trip there but there were other things like diving and horseback riding. If you're adventurous, look into it.
  • With your budget and want for all inclusive, you are really going to have to put Jamaica, DR, and Mexico back in the running. Those islands for are the top three for adult only all inclusives. Aruba, Puerto Rio and the VIs have very, very few AIs. PR has none, Aruba has maybe 1-2 but they're not high end and Aruba is not a place to do an AI. The VIs have a couple, they are either super exclusive or you can go to Dreams, which is family friendly and maybe 4 stars. St. Lucia has more options, but airfare to there will eat up a lot of your budget.

You get a really good value for your money on those other islands at places like Secrets or Couples. I highly recommend reconsidering.

• I know you really WANT to go on the honeymoon the day after the wedding...but if you were willing to put it off until June, several of the AIs at the other islands, like St. Lucia, would be in low season and more affordable.  Maybe still not doable for $3k for a full week, but closer than it would be in April.  March and April are pretty much the most expensive times to go anywhere with a tropical climate (other than the week of and week after Christmas generally).

You could also do a mini-moon right after the wedding (you could even stay in New Orleans, or, if that's where you already live, go to Gulf Shores or somewhere in FL or TX or something) and then save up and book a full honeymoon later.  You might also get cash gifts at the wedding that you could put towards your honeymoon in the fall or something like that.  My best friend got married in December 2013 and then they had their honeymoon over their one year anniversary.  They were able to save up and do exactly what they wanted to because they weren't trying to cram it in right after the wedding.

• I'd definitely put Mexico back on the list. You could do a great AI there with your budget. You could maybe do Puerto Rico if you rented a house instead of staying at a hotel. 
  • DR has a ton of affordable and well-rated AIs so I'd reconsider. We were also on a budget for our honeymoon  (had $5000 saved but preferred not to spend all of it) and kept it to $3500 w/ airfare to DR for a week.
  • delujm0 said:

I know you really WANT to go on the honeymoon the day after the wedding...but if you were willing to put it off until June, several of the AIs at the other islands, like St. Lucia, would be in low season and more affordable.  Maybe still not doable for $3k for a full week, but closer than it would be in April.  March and April are pretty much the most expensive times to go anywhere with a tropical climate (other than the week of and week after Christmas generally).

You could also do a mini-moon right after the wedding (you could even stay in New Orleans, or, if that's where you already live, go to Gulf Shores or somewhere in FL or TX or something) and then save up and book a full honeymoon later.  You might also get cash gifts at the wedding that you could put towards your honeymoon in the fall or something like that.  My best friend got married in December 2013 and then they had their honeymoon over their one year anniversary.  They were able to save up and do exactly what they wanted to because they weren't trying to cram it in right after the wedding.

THIS!

• selortonselorton member
    First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Hi!  I am working on planning my honeymoon also, and you may just be able to do that on your budget.  I shopped around a lot **edited by moderator** and I was able to find great affordable deals in St. Johns, Aruba, and Nassau.  Check all three of those locations.  Be flexible on length and days, and you will totally be able to pull off an All-Inclusive.  Good luck, and have fun!
  • The low season in Mexico starts May 1st. We got married there on May 17 because of the big price differences. CheapCarribean.com tends to have some great deals. Just remember to leave room in your budget for excursions and at least a meal off resort. As awesome as AIs are, you want to be able to leave the resort (which is I reason I probably wouldn't go back to DR).

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
    edited October 2015

The low season in Mexico starts May 1st. We got married there on May 17 because of the big price differences. CheapCarribean.com tends to have some great deals. Just remember to leave room in your budget for excursions and at least a meal off resort. As awesome as AIs are, you want to be able to leave the resort (which is I reason I probably wouldn't go back to DR).

Did you really get married in Mexico?  The laws for marriage in Mexico are somewhat inconvenient.

1. A completed application form obtained in Mexico at the Registry Office. This includes a statement as to whether the couple will maintain separate property and assets or have joint property.  This statement may not be valid for future purposes, under Canadian law.
    2. Valid passport and Migratory Form to prove legal status in Mexico.
    3. Certified copy of their  Birth Certificate, which must be legalized by the Mexican Consular Office having jurisdiction over the region where the birth certificates were issued.
    If either party has been married before, they must present either a certified copy of the Divorce decree, duly legalized by a Mexican Consulate with jurisdiction where the divorce was filed, or; a certified copy of a Death Certificate duly legalized by the Mexican Consulate with jurisdiction over the place where the spouse died.
    4. A physician’s certificate stating that according to the blood tests and x-rays taken in Mexico, neither applicant suffers from any contagious disease.
    5. Two legally qualified witnesses (over 18 years of age), who must be present at the ceremony.
    6. Payment of a fee.

Notes:

These are only general requirements. Resorts and hotels may be able to provide information about local requirements, which may vary.

Marriages are performed at the offices of the Civil Registry, but may be performed elsewhere for an additional fee (marriage fees vary throughout Mexico). Persons staying at a hotel can obtain addresses and fees from hotel management.

Religious Marriages, which have no legal implications in Mexico, require additional information for the ceremony. Requirements must be obtained from local Church Officials.

In some states divorced people cannot marry in Mexico until one year after the divorce order has been issued by the judge, unless otherwise indicated in the divorce decree.

Important: It is the responsibility of the person getting married in Mexico to contact the Civil Registry of the State where the ceremony will take place.  The Civil Registry will set the requirements for the ceremony.  Each State may have somewhat different regulations.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Why are you excluding Mexico, Jamaica, and DR? If you think they aren't as nice or something I think you should reconsider because everyone we've talked to who has went there has had great things to say about them! We're going to Jamaica for ours in October, Sandals All Inclusive for a week and it's just under 5K but we went all out with really high end room with great view and extra services. Prices started at roughly half that and Sandals always seems to have sales going on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited October 2015
    Not judging, but when someone recommends a Mexican destination wedding to another Knottie, I do feel the need to point out that there can be problems with the legal aspects.  There are more difficult locations - like Bali!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    CMGragain said:

Not judging, but when someone recommends a Mexican destination wedding to another Knottie, I do feel the need to point out that there can be problems with the legal aspects.  There are more difficult locations - like Bali!

Then point that out without randomly accusing someone else of doing it wrong.
  • CMGragain said:

So, you're not judging, just failing at reading then?  She's not recommending the OP get married there.  We're in the Honeymoon board.  She just happened to mention that the reason she herself chose to get married there in the month that she did is because it's the low season there at that time and therefore cheaper (and also presumably cheaper if you're just looking to honeymoon there vs. also get married there).  Nowhere in any of these posts was it suggested that OP change her honeymoon to a destination wedding in Mexico.
    edited October 2015
    You are right.  I apologize.  I got my boards mixed up.  There is nothing wrong with a Mexican honeymoon, either.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited October 2015
    Thanks everyone! I know it is really stupid and shallow, but we had first ruled out DR because everyone we know has gone there for their honeymoon. Seriously, like the last 5 couples I know have gone there. We wanted to go somewhere different, but we are now open to anywhere. I'm ruling out mexico just in fear that we'll be with a lot of wild spring breakers....but we are now looking into DR and jamaica!
  • missa011 said:

DR has a ton of affordable and well-rated AIs so I'd reconsider. We were also on a budget for our honeymoon  (had $5000 saved but preferred not to spend all of it) and kept it to $3500 w/ airfare to DR for a week.

@missa011 where did you stay?
  • Thanks everyone! I know it is really stupid and shallow, but we had first ruled out DR because everyone we know has gone there for their honeymoon. Seriously, like the last 5 couples I know have gone there. We wanted to go somewhere different, but we are now open to anywhere. I'm ruling out mexico just in fear that we'll be with a lot of wild spring breakers....but we are now looking into DR and jamaica!
    College spring break is in March and the higher end resorts do not allow Spring Breaker bookings. 

• DR has a ton of affordable and well-rated AIs so I'd reconsider. We were also on a budget for our honeymoon  (had $5000 saved but preferred not to spend all of it) and kept it to $3500 w/ airfare to DR for a week.
    @missa011 where did you stay?
    We booked at http://www.excellenceresorts.com/resorts/excellence-punta-cana/destination/. Had great reviews online (TripAdvisor, Hotels.com) and FSIL's brother stayed there on a trip and had a great time. AI and good price. We're going in January. Good luck!
  • Thanks everyone! I know it is really stupid and shallow, but we had first ruled out DR because everyone we know has gone there for their honeymoon. Seriously, like the last 5 couples I know have gone there. We wanted to go somewhere different, but we are now open to anywhere. I'm ruling out mexico just in fear that we'll be with a lot of wild spring breakers....but we are now looking into DR and jamaica!
    I just went to DR for the first time in March, and I absolutely loved it. Don't discount it just because other people have gone that. 
    I just went to DR for the first time in March, and I absolutely loved it. Don't discount it just because other people have gone that. 
    This.  The fact that so many other people have gone there would actually be a plus for me.  You can get a lot of great recommendations and opinions about what resorts they stayed at. Honestly, there is reason why so many people vacation to certain spots, because they are good on your wallet and they are gorgeous places to visit.

• edited October 2015
    I know after much research (both myself and my SO work in the travel industry) we decided on Catalonia Royal Bavaro - All Inclusive - Adults Only in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. 

We had a budget similar to yours and chose this location for many reasons:

- All Inclusive

- Food! While this property has five restaurants, you also have use of all the restaurants of the sister property which is nine additional restaurants. 14 places to eat was right up our alley. They also offer 24 hour room service included in the all inclusive rate. 

- Private Pool. We wanted our room to either have a private pool or swim up pool. This was one of the few places that had a truly private pool (if you book the Exclusive Suite Swimming Pool)

Our total was right around 3400 for six nights! 

***part of this property are topless, so if that offends this isn't the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards