Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridal Shower in Texas for Bride That Lives in Spain?!

We will be hosting a bridal shower for a bride who is currently living (and will be married) in Spain. The Mother of the Bride is able to fly her in to Texas for about 48 hours so that family and friends who live in here but won't be able to make the trip to Spain for the wedding next year. 

Any ideas on how to handle potential gifts? Or how to address it to the guests? Shipping will be expensive and it is hard to ask guests to just give cash or gift cards (if anything at all). Any and all thoughts are appreciated as we are all out of ideas of how to best manage!

Re: Bridal Shower in Texas for Bride That Lives in Spain?!

• Options
    We will be hosting a bridal shower for a bride who is currently living (and will be married) in Spain. The Mother of the Bride is able to fly her in to Texas for about 48 hours so that family and friends who live in here but won't be able to make the trip to Spain for the wedding next year. 

Any ideas on how to handle potential gifts? Or how to address it to the guests? Shipping will be expensive and it is hard to ask guests to just give cash or gift cards (if anything at all). Any and all thoughts are appreciated as we are all out of ideas of how to best manage!
    If the bride doesn't want to pay to ship the gifts, then I suggest nixing the shower completely. You can have a brunch or tea or other ladies party (or coed) but the purpose of a shower is to give gifts and it's tacky and rude to ask for cash or gift cards.
    This.

• Options
    Just have her bring an extra suitcase. Everyone knows she is traveling, and will presumably bring smaller gifts. Then she can just pay the $50 (or whatever it is now) baggage fee.
  • Options
    The purpose of a bridal shower is to shower the bride with gifts, so asking people to give cash is not only awkward, it's rude.  Skip the bridal shower or host a bridal brunch instead where it is a mingle type event instead of a gift giving event.  

• Options
    loro929loro929 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    TNDancer said:
    Just have her bring an extra suitcase. Everyone knows she is traveling, and will presumably bring smaller gifts. Then she can just pay the $50 (or whatever it is now) baggage fee.
    This. I was in a similar situation. I live in Spain and my bridal shower was in NJ. I did not register for anything electric (due to the different voltages out here) and I just paid for extra suitcases, took everything out of the boxes and packed them in as tight as possible.

To be honest, a lot of people ended up giving me gift cards too, to the places where I was registered, as they knew that I would be travelling and figured then I could buy things online and have them shipped directly to my home overseas. The only thing that I could not bring back with me was a set of formal china. I was too nervous to pack it into a checked back, so it is at my parent's home in boxes until I figure it out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am not very familiar with the stores in Spain but another option would be to suggest she only register at places that are in both locations, she could return the items she received in Texas and repurchase them in Spain. Some larger stores even offer shipping to another location. 

I agree with everyone else on other options as well. 
  • Options

Are the people invited to this shower also invited to the wedding? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards