Wedding Woes

Homecoming questions

What was it like at your school?  Were you on the court?  Did you go?  Brought to you by my niece's homecoming pictures and a friend being proud her daughter is on the court.

We didn't have our own football field so we would do the game one weekend (at the field we rented) and the dance the next.  It was not nearly the dressy occasion it seems to be now.  I was not on the court.

Re: Homecoming questions

• At my HS in MI it was a formal event, here in TN for our HS its just a jeans type of thing.  It is kind of a big deal to be on court around here, I was not in MI but it was a big deal there too.  My DIL (then son's GF) was and I know she was excited.  They are the only one's here that go formal for the introductions at the game.
  • At my HS it was dressy but not formal. Prom was the biggie that was formal.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Homecoming was short, party dresses and the dance was in the gym or cafeteria.  Prom was long ball gowns and it was at a rented location. 

The kiddo's school did the game one weekend and the dance the next.  He was supposed to go to the dance, but he got in some trouble and we didn't let him go. 
  • Dressy as in girls wore nice dresses, not prom dresses.  Boys wore button downs with khaki pants.

Pics I saw on FB this year showed it's much more dressy now.  Son had no interest in going to the dance.  "Um, I have a BASEBALL GAME that night."
  • My sister is funny.  She has 3 girls ages 10-14.  She hit the buy one got one 50% off at Target and bought one gold, one silver clutch, one pair silver shoes and one pair gold.  This is supposed to be for Homecoming and prom and "possibly wedding" for all of them.  She also gave them a $3k budget for dresses including their wedding dress.

When I was in school we would get one new dressy outfit for homecoming.  We'd use it for the Christmas concert, holiday parties, Christmas eve, and anything else nice until we got a new Easter dress.

• I don't think i ever went to a homecoming dance at my HS - it was dressy (think cocktail attire and jackets/ties) but was held in the gym. the court was something of a big deal. It was the same weekend as the football game, which i generally attended. 

in TX, its a BFD. they do "mums" here, which are these giant corsage things that are made with (fake) flowers, ribbons, teddy bears, charms, etc. and can run hundreds of dollars. typically people give one to their SO, some parents get them for their kids, and they can reflect things like hobbies/interests/clubs/sports/etc. Some people wear multiple mums, and basically look like they survived a craft store explosion. our realtors were telling me about them because some of the kids had mums hanging in their rooms - when i heard how much people paid, i figured if i ever needed some extra cash, i'm crafty enough to  start a mum business. 
    mums:
  • more mums: 
    imageimage
    boys get them too - just smaller versions:

• Yes, they are a big deal for sure. I never understood them either.
  • Formal affair, dresses really just depended on style of woman.  I think the guys usually just wore nice suits.  The only time tuxes were brought out were prom.  We had a court, 3 women from each grade, and the entire school voted on the homecoming king/queen.  It was big deal to be nominated and every year the senior class was angry at who won.
  • Everything is bigger, and gaudier, in Texas.  ;) 
  • We had nothing, there were activities during the week (Class float building, FFA Bonfire - which was a bigger blast to build than attend, dress-up days, pep rally) then a parade the actual night of the football game, but there was no dance or court or anything like that... We had a "Mr. and Miss _(town name)_" that got to wear a headdress, but that was it... 
  • 6fsn said:

My sister is funny.  She has 3 girls ages 10-14.  She hit the buy one got one 50% off at Target and bought one gold, one silver clutch, one pair silver shoes and one pair gold.  This is supposed to be for Homecoming and prom and "possibly wedding" for all of them.  She also gave them a $3k budget for dresses including their wedding dress.

When I was in school we would get one new dressy outfit for homecoming.  We'd use it for the Christmas concert, holiday parties, Christmas eve, and anything else nice until we got a new Easter dress.

Interesting... so she keeps track of every dress? I got a job as soon as I could because my Moms allowance was $100 for the year and I loved shopping. So that got me into clearance, thrift stores etc. but I can't say as a freshman in high school I would have had the restraint to not blow a lot of that on a homecoming dress.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards