Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress help

I bought my dress off the rack unaltered as my friend offered to alter it for me (she is a seamstress and very talented ) obviou a ly, it's too long but fits right (with maybe a tweak here and there) here is my issue. I feel beautiful and bridey in this dress, but every time I look at the picture I feel like I look like a linebacker. I'm heavy chested (38 H) but most dresses don't make me feel so large.

Re: Dress help

• Options
    Have you thought about adding a lace insert so that less cleavage is exposed?  Try pinning on a piece of lace and see if you like that idea.  I also think it might look better without the necklace.   I love the back of the dress.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I love the back too. I can get a different necklace. The lace thing I'm not sure of...I'm pretty sure it's the angle cause I never show that much without being self conscious.
  • Options
    I'm a little confused only because you say that this dress makes you feel beautiful and bridey yet then say you feel like you look like a linebacker and other dresses didn't do that. Do you mean that you liked the pictures of you in other dresses better than these pictures? if so, what was it about those dresses/pictures that were more appealing?
  • Options
    I put this dress on and felt great...then I saw the picture and I never like pictures of me so I din't think much of it. I happened to see the picture the other day (its on my phone) and I realized that I look pretty broad. I could be being hypercritical as my best friend assures me its not as bad as I think. I'm kinda hoping its a wonky angle since he is a LOT taller then me.
  • Options
    I think you look gorgeous and not wide at all. It's very flattering and the back is stunning! Also consider how you're standing versus how you'll be standing on your wedding day, with FI, at different angles and with a different photographer. If this dress makes you feel beautiful and bridal then that is going to show on your wedding day!
  • Options
    First, you look great!  That back is amazing!

As a bigger chested girl, I see what you're saying but I don't think you look like a linebacker!   I just think your girls need a little boost so I'd reconsider you're undergarments/shapewear. Also, once it's been properly altered (especially the length) I think you'll feel differently.
  • Options
    Thank you all. I tried the dress on again today with all the right undergarments and shoes (and I've lost about 10 Lbs) and I don't have that square shoulder issue anymore. The straps will have to be brought up and the bust adjusted but it should all look beautiful. Plus I tried a longer necklace which also helped a lot.
  • Options
    Thank you all. I tried the dress on again today with all the right undergarments and shoes (and I've lost about 10 Lbs) and I don't have that square shoulder issue anymore. The straps will have to be brought up and the bust adjusted but it should all look beautiful. Plus I tried a longer necklace which also helped a lot.
    Its amazing what the right undergarments and some alterations can do!  

SaveSave
  • Options
    Agree with the undergarments and alterations but I think maybe it's how wide the straps are.  I'm wondering if the straps can be made to taper a bit in the front.  I know the wide straps will really help with support of a big chest but I think that could be why you're feeling like you look like a linebacker.  Undergarments and alterations will do a world of good like previous poster said!
  • Options
    Agree with the undergarments and alterations but I think maybe it's how wide the straps are.  I'm wondering if the straps can be made to taper a bit in the front.  I know the wide straps will really help with support of a big chest but I think that could be why you're feeling like you look like a linebacker.  Undergarments and alterations will do a world of good like previous poster said!
    Totally this.  I think if the straps were tapered more at the top, that would help a ton.  Also, hemming the dress to the proper length will do wonders.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I bought the dress super early, good deal, caught up in the excitement and I do love it, When I look at it on me in the mirror I love it, but I was never in love with the photo. I agree about tapering the straps and will bring that up when it comes time to alter it. I'm glad I waited to hem because I found shoes that were higher then I origanlly planned 
  • Options
    Ok, without even reading anyone else's thoughts.  First, your name is awesome. Second, the back is TO DIE FOR!  Third, if you don't like the way it looks in photographs, talk to your photographer - they will know how to angle you in a way you feel is more flattering.  You look gorgeous.
  • Options
    Thank you. I actually just changed my name on the knot, been binge watching big bang theory.
  • Options

I love it. The back of that dress if stunning!

Once you have the alterations you should upload another photo! It would be cool to see the before and after!

• Options
    My seamstress friend said 3 months before I will post pics.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards