Registry and Gift Forum

Gift from unknown person

Here's a debacle for you.....
We are registered on Amazon.  As I was browsing through the thank you list I noticed a gift from a person we don't know.  My family doesn't know who this lady is and neither does his family!  She sent us a very nice knife set. LOL 
Amazon does not give me an email address associated with the gift.  All I have is her mailing address.  
I live in Ohio.  FH lives in Nevada.  All the gifts are being shipped to Nevada, so it's not like I can sift through boxes any time soon to send the knives directly to this lady.  

What do I do???
Assume it is not a mistake and send a thank you?
Send her a note in the mail asking if she possibly got the wrong registry? ...To this point I have tried searching for a registry under both my and my FH names to see if there is another Charlie and Wendy getting married any time soon and I'm not coming up with any possible doppelgängers.  
I'm usually on top of etiquette, but this is a weird one.

Re: Gift from unknown person

• This is a tough one.  If it were me, I would try to rule out any possibility of her having a connection to us before I send it back.  If you have a name and address, could you try looking her up on social media to see if there are any mutual friends?  Perhaps, she has her work history listed on an account?   Could it  be  possible that this woman is in fact an acquaintance, but has changed her last name?  I would be incredibly embarrassed if I received a gift I thought was intended for someone else, contacted the giver only to find out it was meant for us. 

Did Amazon give you the billing information? Sometimes the billing information does not match the person who is doing the shopping.  My sister shops all the time with my mom's or step dad's credit card.  Until recently, the information Amazon would have given would be Bobby Smith, but the actual giver would have been Sally Jones.

I would also have FI look for a card attached to the gift.  There may be a card that will give you more clues as to whether or not the gift was intended for you. If there is one, problem solved. 

I would exhaust all avenues before I reach out to her.  If you firmly believe the gift was not intended for you, try looking up a phone number for her.  Contact her directly.  If it is not for you, send it back to either her or Amazon, depending on what her preferences are. 
  • wewlmt81wewlmt81 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2015
    All excellent points. I'll try social media first. And I hadn't even thought of billing and shared accounts. My mom shops on my Amazon account all the time! That is the most likely explanation. Thank you!
  • Also it could be under her maiden name?  We received a gift like that... the giver's Amazon account was on H's friend's wife's maiden name so at first I didn't recognize it, but then figured out who it was after looking at the address and putting 2 and 2 together. 

Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards