New York-Long Island
Options

Destination/ Traditional Wedding

Hey Everyone,My FI and I got engaged this past May and we will be setting a date in 2012.  I want to start a little planning early.  I was thinking having a wedding here on long island or doing a destination wedding.  We have been together for almost 10 years (this December), but i was thinking of having some low key and dont realy want to spend tons of money since we are paying for it.  I'm really not sure yet.  Has anyone done a destination wedding, and what are the opinions on it?  All comments are welcomed.thanks, Michelle
Michelle Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Destination/ Traditional Wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have mixed feelings about destination weddings. First off, I am not having one- I live in NY and am getting married here. Destination weddings are a ton of fun and definitely beautiful, especially if you're a beach person like I am. The ONLY reason I'm not having a DW is my family. I want to make sure that my grandmother and my aunts and uncles and everyone who wants to be there can afford to make it. I know if I traveled to Hawaii to get married, my grandma probably wouldn't go and I definitely want her to be there. I think it's great for an intimate gathering though! Just be careful because destination wedding sounds cheaper since it'll be a smaller party, but the added expenses of travelling and planning from afar can add up. It might be worth it to work with a coordinator from whatever location you're looking at.
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    we strongly considered a DW but ultimately chose to have our wedding here for a few reasons: 1) many of the people we really wanted to be there wouldn't have been able to go 2) we didn't want to burden our guests with the expense. keep in mind our wedding was in november 05 so we didn't have the benefit of the cheap fares that are out there now and where we wanted to have it would've run the guests thousands. 3) we decided that while it would be cheaper for us it would definately limit everything-decs, dj, photographer, flowers etc... 4) i think for some people it works great. for us it just didn't.you also have 3 years. that's a LONG time. there's really no need to decide now. give yourselves a year to think about it and weigh the pros and cons. do some investigating-prices for you, prices for guests, etc...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards