Illinois-Chicago

Low-cost ceremony space?

We are planning and paying for our wedding ourselves, and trying to be as budget conscious as possible. We found a great reception space for our 60 guests but it is kind of small so we don't want to try and do the ceremony there, and then transform the space into the reception layout. We are also getting married in October so I don't want to risk planning the ceremony outside. 

Please, help me! I have explored every avenue I can think of. We won't need any set up, just chairs (and even that I am not set! We plan on having a very short, 20 min ceremony). I have called around to hotels and asked if we blocked rooms there, could we have a room to do a short ceremony. Even those quotes were in the 500-1500 range! And I just cannot justify spending $500 for a 20 min recital of our vows, which I won't need any set up or decorations beforehand. 

Am I crazy for thinking that this can be done? Does anyone have any other ideas? I would really appreciate any advice or referrals to low-cost ceremony space locations. 

Re: Low-cost ceremony space?

• edited October 2015
    Hi,
    I had my ceremony at The Redfield Estate at The Grove and it was only $500 with a $500 security deposit if you are willing to get married on a Friday; I don't know what the cost is for a Saturday. http://www.glenviewparks.org/facilities-parks/redfield-estate/ You can have your wedding inside and you will have the entire grounds and use of the house to get ready. I LOVED everything about this place. We took some amazing photos and it will look perfect in the fall. They have chairs for you to use that they will set up for you. I would absolutely recommend this place.
    Have fun!
    Jessica
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    We are planning and paying for our wedding ourselves, and trying to be as budget conscious as possible. We found a great reception space for our 60 guests but it is kind of small so we don't want to try and do the ceremony there, and then transform the space into the reception layout. We are also getting married in October so I don't want to risk planning the ceremony outside. 

Please, help me! I have explored every avenue I can think of. We won't need any set up, just chairs (and even that I am not set! We plan on having a very short, 20 min ceremony). I have called around to hotels and asked if we blocked rooms there, could we have a room to do a short ceremony. Even those quotes were in the 500-1500 range! And I just cannot justify spending $500 for a 20 min recital of our vows, which I won't need any set up or decorations beforehand. 

Am I crazy for thinking that this can be done? Does anyone have any other ideas? I would really appreciate any advice or referrals to low-cost ceremony space locations. 

Do not be a poor host.  You must have a chair available for every invited guest.  You can assume your ceremony will be 20 minutes, but assumptions are rarely the reality.  Guests typically arrive early, so your assumption of "20" minutes will stretch beyond that.  It is also difficult to view a ceremony from a standing POV.  Budgets have nothing to do with hospitality, so please be a considerate host to your guests.

There are many brides on the boards who have run into similar problems.  Many brides have solved this problem by having their guests sit at their reception tables for the ceremony.  There are many ways to make this arrangement ceremony friendly, and it certainly resolves the budget issue. 
  • So two things- hard to recommend a space without knowing what your reception space is, as I'm not going to suggest people drive an hour between the ceremony and reception. 
    MobKaz has the perfect suggestion- use your reception tables for people to sit at for the ceremony. It's perfectly acceptable to have an entire wedding and reception in one space. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards