Chit Chat

Bartender tips?

We are not having tip jars out at the reception. It's in my contract that we would tip that night. What is the average tipping % for bartenders at a wedding? I want to Mae sure they get what they deserve.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bartender tips?

• I'm assuming your contract doesn't have a number? If so, for average service that meets expectations, I'd tip 15%. If they do a great job and exceed your expectations, you can go as high as you want depending on how pleased you are.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm assuming your contract doesn't have a number? If so, for average service that meets expectations, I'd tip 15%. If they do a great job and exceed your expectations, you can go as high as you want depending on how pleased you are.

No there's nothing in the contract about how much to tip. They wanted tip jars out and told them absolutely not. The bartenders are included in my venue package.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 15-18% of the alcohol bill.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    15-18% of the alcohol bill.

So what it cost us to buy the alcohol, use that amount for to calculate the tip? That would work! Thank you so much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • are you providing the alcohol yourself?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    are you providing the alcohol yourself?
    Yes we are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    Yes we are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Denise40 said:

lyndausvi said:

Yes we are.

I don't think 15-18 is enough when you buy the alcohol at state minimum pricing. Is there an hourly rate for the bartenders? Did you hire separate or are they provided by the venue? How many guests? How long it's the reception?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• lyndausvi said:
    Yes we are.
    I don't think 15-18 is enough when you buy the alcohol at state minimum pricing. Is there an hourly rate for the bartenders? Did you hire separate or are they provided by the venue? How many guests? How long it's the reception?

It's included in my venue package. 6 hours including cocktail hour and we are providing the alcohol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did 25%, we provided the alcohol and the bartender was there for 3-4 hours (I forget which) serving bottled beer, canned drinks/bottled water, and pouring wine. The bartender was an independent person that the venue recommended 
  • Our bartender was $250 for 5 hours. We ended up giving him $75, plus I'm pretty sure both DH and I ended up drunkenly tipping him 20 bucks or so during the reception (along with a few guests even though there was no tip jar - it's just what our crowd does), and we let him take home some of the alcohol that was left. He seemed most excited about the alcohol since we did bring in some unique stuff.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• lyndausvi said:
    Yes we are.
    I agree.

I would tip them at least $200 each per bartender.

We provided our own alcohol too.  We had to pay the bartenders $30 per person, per hour.  They worked 10+ hours.   We tipped them an additional $200 each.    The $30 fee went to the venue and we did not know how much was actually going back to bartenders.     They were great bartenders, worked their asses off in the middle of a storm.   

A good percentage of our guests are working in the food/beverage industry, even though there was no tip jar, they still tipped the bartenders.   I'm sure those guys left very happy. 

• We had one bartender for approximately six hours. According to our venue, her hourly salary was about a dollar over our state's standard (not waitstaff) minimum wage. We tipped her $200. Which ended up being about 20% of our bar bill, though we didn't know that at the time (didn't get the bar bill until about a week after the wedding). Since she made so much more than waitstaff wage, we surely over tipped. But I'd much rather overcompensate someone for good service than under compensate them. In the grand scheme of our wedding costs, an extra $100 didn't mean much to us, but I'm sure it meant a lot to her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards