Not Engaged Yet

Friday Firsts & Weekend Chat

Re: Friday Firsts & Weekend Chat

• @GoldenPenguin - Have you ever tried medical grade? I never have, but my local store has started advertising certain varieties with a high CBD level, which is apparently for pain reduction. I don't have pain, so I don't buy it, but I am interested to know how it feels different.

In other news, I now can't view page 2 of this thread on my work computer because it has Marijuana-related themes. Thanks a lot.

• AlPacina said:

@GoldenPenguin - Have you ever tried medical grade? I never have, but my local store has started advertising certain varieties with a high CBD level, which is apparently for pain reduction. I don't have pain, so I don't buy it, but I am interested to know how it feels different.

In other news, I now can't view page 2 of this thread on my work computer because it has Marijuana-related themes. Thanks a lot.

I have because it's legal in Maine & my parent's guy grows medical grade. It's pretty fucking amazing haha

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Resident Political Scientist so not going to say anything other than -- I'm an Independent.  My goal is to vote outside the norm. It may not do anything now, but if enough people think the same way, that's how change can happen. 

Time to be a bad influence: If anyone wants to join a wine club, I've got a special discount for 50% off first month, plus a free 5th bottle (usually get 4 bottles).
    I wanted to vote for an Independent in the last election (can't remember who is was now) but I was TERRIFIED of Romney becoming president so I voted for Obama. Although I guess since I live in Mass Obama would have won my state anyways so I should have voted for the Independent to get them a vote?? Or does it really not matter since I live where I do. This confuses me.

I voted for the libertarian candidate (I don't even remember who it was - some guy from New Mexico I think?). And yes, it DOES matter, because the parties outside of Dem/Rep need to reach a certain percentage of voting support in order to be included in debates & such. Until they reach that point, we're going to continue on with a bi-partisan system because the other parties get zero coverage. 

Yes, your state was blue, so the electorate votes went to Obama, but YOUR vote, had it been for a third-party candidate, would have gone to support getting other parties into national debates, etc.
    This is why I vote independent most often. There was NO WAY my state would have gone for Obama, so I voted for the independent. We really need 3rd party representation.

• wink0erin said:

Resident Political Scientist so not going to say anything other than -- I'm an Independent.  My goal is to vote outside the norm. It may not do anything now, but if enough people think the same way, that's how change can happen. 

Time to be a bad influence: If anyone wants to join a wine club, I've got a special discount for 50% off first month, plus a free 5th bottle (usually get 4 bottles).
    I wanted to vote for an Independent in the last election (can't remember who is was now) but I was TERRIFIED of Romney becoming president so I voted for Obama. Although I guess since I live in Mass Obama would have won my state anyways so I should have voted for the Independent to get them a vote?? Or does it really not matter since I live where I do. This confuses me.

I voted for the libertarian candidate (I don't even remember who it was - some guy from New Mexico I think?). And yes, it DOES matter, because the parties outside of Dem/Rep need to reach a certain percentage of voting support in order to be included in debates & such. Until they reach that point, we're going to continue on with a bi-partisan system because the other parties get zero coverage. 

Yes, your state was blue, so the electorate votes went to Obama, but YOUR vote, had it been for a third-party candidate, would have gone to support getting other parties into national debates, etc.
    This is why I vote independent most often. There was NO WAY my state would have gone for Obama, so I voted for the independent. We really need 3rd party representation.

To the bolded: Gary Johnson (or Johnston?).

Also TLDR some of this thread but voting is such a great honor and I think electorial college is crap but whatever, I still have the right to vote! In some countries, just being a woman wouldn't allow me that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @buddysmom80 - That was him! 

*******************************************************************************************

• wink0erin said:

Resident Political Scientist so not going to say anything other than -- I'm an Independent.  My goal is to vote outside the norm. It may not do anything now, but if enough people think the same way, that's how change can happen. 

To the bolded: Gary Johnson (or Johnston?).

Also TLDR some of this thread but voting is such a great honor and I think electorial college is crap but whatever, I still have the right to vote! In some countries, just being a woman wouldn't allow me that!

@lavenderfields13 what they said
  • TwoDimes said:

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT!! I had a couple requests yesterday to AW Indy on her birthday. Here she is with her "pupcake." She loved it and drooled EVERYWHERE while I took a bizillion photos. I can't believe she's all grown up!!

This is BEYOND cute!!!!
  • @buddysmom80, no, that's a rational irritation. Who the hell touches someone else's stuff without permission? I will also be sure to give the "little old man" (the vet's words) extra cuddles from you!

@jenjen047, have fun at cake tasting!

@helloliv, that sucks. Such easy instructions ... so much fail on their parts. I'd like the link to your blog once you get it set up!

@goldenpenguin, you and I passed out around the same time last night. H says he told me when Edelman scored his first touchdown, I gave him a thumbs-up; by the time he scored the second, apparently I was out cold.

@wink0erin, I'm only finishing things now because knitting is fun again since I quit the craft show. Otherwise it was like a solid month every year of "oh shit I have to work in ends now."

@twodimes, I want all of that! Especially the seven-layer dip.

@eilis1228, happy wedding day!
    This made me laugh! I've definitely done the sleepy "hooray" before. 

• @speakeasy14 @goldenpenguin Thank you for the information. I have been wondering for years why Republicans have to stand for certain points, and why Democrats have to stand for certain points. Like why can't someone (candidate) be a mix of both and say we want to be conservative with the budget and social programs but we don't give a fuck if you have an abortion or you're gay. And I've never really gotten an answer to that. When I have tried to ask people in the past who know more about it (like my parents or teachers) they would just say "lobbyists! blame lobbyists!" and I have no idea what that means.  So the fact that you broke it down pretty simply into "those people do exist but they need % of vote to compete" that makes a lot more sense to me and was like the puzzle piece I was missing.

I apologize if that comes of as ignorant for not knowing much about the system, politics has never interested me enough to do research and find out. I feel like I'm not alone and that a lot of people don't know how it all works and just don't admit to it.

• Resident Political Scientist so not going to say anything other than -- I'm an Independent.  My goal is to vote outside the norm. It may not do anything now, but if enough people think the same way, that's how change can happen. 

I think I wanted to vote for the same guy you did but like I said, I was just really worried about Romney and I was doing what I thought was best. Thanks for explaining that to me @goldenpenguin

• edited October 2015
    Happy belated birthday Indy! @TwoDimes she is beautiful and I love her eyes!

@jenna8984 I don't know enough about politics either and every election I say I'm going to pay attention more but I get so confused about certain shit. I just know there's no way in hell I'm voting for someone who openly opposes equal rights and abortion, etc. 

•  
    @wink0erin, I'm only finishing things now because knitting is fun again since I quit the craft show. Otherwise it was like a solid month every year of "oh shit I have to work in ends now."
    Working in ends is THE WORST. Last night I was talking knitting/crochet with BF's mom, since she is having some crochet trouble. She's a knitter that dabbles in crochet, and I'm a crocheter that dabbles in knitting. Someday we are going to get together to help each other make stuffed animals in the other's craft.

• @jenna8984 you're definitely not alone. 
  • @peaseblossom55 - All the appendages crossed for you!  I'll be praying for you guys!
  • @peaseblossom55: I'm glad you got some answers and there is hope!! 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Love & Splits
    A blog about running and life with pituitary tumors
  • I'm sorry (not sorry) but not knowing about something just isn't an excuse to me. We're all sitting here day in and day out typing on the internet which is THE source of endless information. Want to know why the sky is blue? Click here. Want to know why your toenail hurts? Whatever you do, just don't go to WebMD. Want to get a better understanding of how primaries and elections work? It's pretty simple to search and find a website(s) that can explain things in terms that you understand. If you don't WANT to put in the 10 minute to understand it so you can make an educated decision and ACTUALLY vote, then yea, I judge the hell out of you. 

• @peaseblossom55 Yay that sounds like good news, good luck!!  

• Swazzle said:
    I'm sorry (not sorry) but not knowing about something just isn't an excuse to me. We're all sitting here day in and day out typing on the internet which is THE source of endless information. Want to know why the sky is blue? Click here. Want to know why your toenail hurts? Whatever you do, just don't go to WebMD. Want to get a better understanding of how primaries and elections work? It's pretty simple to search and find a website(s) that can explain things in terms that you understand. If you don't WANT to put in the 10 minute to understand it so you can make an educated decision and ACTUALLY vote, then yea, I judge the hell out of you. 
    Bolded for emphasis.

• Swazzle said:
    I'm sorry (not sorry) but not knowing about something just isn't an excuse to me. We're all sitting here day in and day out typing on the internet which is THE source of endless information. Want to know why the sky is blue? Click here. Want to know why your toenail hurts? Whatever you do, just don't go to WebMD. Want to get a better understanding of how primaries and elections work? It's pretty simple to search and find a website(s) that can explain things in terms that you understand. If you don't WANT to put in the 10 minute to understand it so you can make an educated decision and ACTUALLY vote, then yea, I judge the hell out of you. 

OK how many of you do your own taxes for example? You (general) could just google that and "figure it out", since the hundreds of pages of tax code are right there for your learning ability and it's so streamlined and simple just like political parties.

I do, do mine because I have an accounting degree but I don't judge my friends for going to H&R Block and having no idea how taxes work.

• jenna8984 said:
    Swazzle said:

OK how many of you do your own taxes for example? You (general) could just google that and "figure it out", since the hundreds of pages of tax code are right there for your learning ability and it's so streamlined and simple just like political parties.

I do, do mine because I have an accounting degree but I don't judge my friends for going to H&R Block and having no idea how taxes work.

Voting in an election and calculating taxes are not even sort of on the same page. I mean, come on. I can't even come up with a better response to this analogy because it makes no sense. 

• untouchabletsuntouchablets member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    jenna8984 said:

Swazzle said:

--------------- (no box!!!)---------------
    I don't really think that's the same thing. Voting for representation in local/state/national government doesn't require a difficult degree and certification to be able to do it and CAN be clarified through a few minutes of research. There are tons of listicles and think pieces breaking it all down being published every minute. There are national debates on every few weeks right now. It's not that hard to sort out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards