Massachusetts-Boston

11 AM Ceremony and Brunch Reception

Is anyone doing a late morning ceremony and a brunch reception?

Because I have a mother who is 93 years old, my fiance and I and the majority of our guests are in our 60s we are planning a early Saturday late morning/early afternoon wedding April, 2016.

My mother will not hold up for an evening/night wedding celebration. Also, we are saving on the cost of the venue and catering having a day wedding as opposed to a Saturday night celebration.

I would be interested in hearing from brides who are also planning a morning ceremony and brunch reception.

Also, I thought it would be a nice touch to have coffee/tea/juice served with mini donuts, croissants, and pasteries before the ceremony as guests arrive..

Thanks for your thoughts, Knotties!

Re: 11 AM Ceremony and Brunch Reception

• I think this sounds very nice.
    What will you serve as the meal for brunch?
    Will it be a dry reception or will you have alcohol? Mimosas at the coffee/tea/juice bar would be a nice touch.
  • Thanks for your sentiment.

It will be a dry reception because my fiance and I don't drink as well as most of my family. Also, not serving alcohol will save us a lot of money. For our toast will probably serve sparkling apple cider.

The brunch will be a buffet:
    BAKED GOODS
    Assorted mini muffins, croissants & danish
    FRESH FRUIT PLATTER
    Sliced watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, grapes, strawberries
    SALAD
    A choice of garden or caesar (we'll most likely choose caesar)
    EGGS
    (Choose one): Farm fresh scrambled eggs; spinach, tomato & feta frittata; ham & swiss Frittata
    HOT BUFFET ITEMS
    Hickory smoked bacon, maple sausage, french toast bread pudding, haddock au gratin, chicken tuscano, home fried potatoes, seasonal vegetables
    COFFEE/TEA STATION
    Fresh brewed coffee (regular & decaf), tea, orange and cranberry juices

I'm curious since you replied to my post, are you thinking about a brunch reception?

Again, I appreciate your response.
  • I didn't have a brunch reception, but I love breakfast foods any time of the day and I know quite a few people who do. There might be others that are having a daytime ceremony and reception on here. Do you have specific questions about it?
  • IamnowmrsjmsIamnowmrsjms member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    I didn't have a brunch reception either, but I think that it works for some people, and it can be done very nicely (as you are doing).  Personally, since I'm not a night owl myself, I'd love to attend a brunch reception.  I'd def want a bloody Mary or mimosa, but a dry wedding is perfectly fine.  MUCH better than having a cash bar.
    Best of luck with your planning!
    ETA will there be a DJ/music and dancing?
  • My FIs SIL just did this and was looking at my venue (Old Sturbridge Village) because they offer a brunch wedding. I LOVE the idea...sadly, FI was big into an evening reception so that is what we decided on. But, his SIl had a lovely mimosa/bloody mary station as guests arrived along with coffee, tea, juices and pastries of all sorts. After a short ceremony, we had brunch which featured all your typical breakfast items including frittata, quiche options and the lunch entrees including chicken, salmon, a prime rib carving station. It was lovely. They were an older couple (with several older family members) so wanted something early and simple and this did the trick! GL!
  • I like this idea so much, and I'd probably prefer a dry brunch.  It sounds really elegant.  What would you have for entertainment?  I.e., DJ or band?  
  • We ended up having a 10.30AM-10.50AM church Sat morning wedding ceremony, cocktail hour 11-12 in hotel across the street from church, 12-5PM reception also in the same place.  The hotel allowed us to use the entire bottom floor (aside from the main dining room where we'd been from 12-5) after the  reception was technically over even though there were other guests in the bar, etc.  

It worked out really well.  The "young" people stayed up and partied til midnight and beyond, the older crowd left at 5PM or shortly thereafter.  We pre-ordered additional (casual) food for 7PM.  Our wedding was late January in the White Mountains, so it got dark around 4.30 and in a way guests were fooled into thinking it was much later.

Whatever you choose will be awesome.  As long as there is good flow, not too much down time without food or drinks, guests will have a blast regardless of the time everything starts and ends.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies. We are pretty much on the same page as far as a dry brunch reception goes. As mentioned, I'm an older bride (I'm 62 years old) with older guests attending which include my 93 year old mother.

Some asked if what kind of entertainment will be commissioned. I've haven't decided as of this time. I've been thinking of a small band because I may want to have live singing at the ceremony. Also, if I could get up the nerve I want to sing to my husband at the reception.

I specifically want to walk down the aisle to "This is the Moment" from the broadway musical "Jekyll and Hyde" If I don't have a live singer (band) I'll have the DJ play the Donny Osmond version.

If my budget allows I may hire a magican or dancers. Another idea is if I hire a DJ, then I could hire a group of singers (maybe from Berklee College of Music) to sing love songs and have a mini concert as entertainment during the reception.

Thanks again everyone, and I'm open to any other ideas or personal experiences regarding a daytime reception.

Happy wedding planning : ) Lydia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards