Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

I go by my middle name- help with name change!

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a predicament when it comes to changing my name..

Here’s the background: I was named after my mother, so my first name is her name. That being said, I have always gone by my middle name to avoid confusion (also because we’re southern and this is a southern thing to do apparently). Even though I’ve always gone by my middle, I am attached to my first name because it’s my mom’s name. I also do not want to drop my last name, just move it over to the middle.

I already know I am going to have 4 names (First Middle Mylast Hislast) however, I will only have ONE last name (Hislast). My predicament is how to arrange my legal first and middle names.. Here are my options:

First Name: First-Middle (hyphenated)
Middle Name: Mylast
Last Name: Hislast

First Name: First Middle (space)
Middle Name: Mylast

First Name: First
Middle Name: Middle Mylast (space)

From what I can tell, it looks relatively easy to just add a second middle name (3rd option) but the issues really start appearing when you try to change your first in any way.

Also, here’s the kicker, my mom always wanted to call me First Middle (together), but ended up just calling me by my middle, hence the first two options.

My big question is has anyone else had this issue, and were there any additional problems with changing your first name? Does adding a hyphen or just having a space between two first names create more problems?

I live in NC, as I know sometimes name change rules vary from state to state.

Thanks y'all!

Re: I go by my middle name- help with name change!

• I had a similar scenario, but I didn't like my legal first name.  I am legally now [Middle Name] [Maiden name] [H's last name].

Changing your name requires a court order (at least, it did for me in Texas).  It cost ~$200 and I had to go down to the county courthouse, fill out paperwork submit it, get fingerprinted, and go back to appear before a judge (the judge appearance took ~5 minutes once I actually got in front of him).  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Take this from someone who has two first names, only one of them legal.  Do not change your name to anything that will not fit into a computer name form.  Your average computer form requests first name, middle initial or name, last name, suffix.  Having two names in one space doesn't work.  It was fine in 1951 (Thanks, Mom) but it is extremely inconvenient in 2015.  My daughter's MIL also has this problem, and she hates it, too.  Example:  George Annabelle Sugarbaby Jackson.
    If you really want to preserve your maiden name in some form, I would suggest giving it to one of your children (assuming that you have some) as a middle name.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2015
    I also go by middle name. When I got married I decided to drop my maiden name because my first name is both of my grandmothers' first names as well. I did not want four names.

ETA: I'm in NC as well and I went to the Social Security office with my marriage license and told them I wanted a name change. The forms are online your can fill out ahead of time. If you are unsure about the rules as far as adding another name, then I would call or take an afternoon to make a trip to ask. From what I could tell, if you are adding a middle or changing your last name, it's pretty easy. Changing your first name in any way seemed much harder. I would look on their website to see what the rules are or call.

• I'm also in NC and it was pretty easy if you're going with option three (just moving maiden name to second middle name). That's what I did, although I go by my first name. You can still "go" by whatever name you want so if you don't want to drop your first name I would just add maiden to a second middle and still be called what you always have been called.

All I had to do was take our marriage license to the SSA office and fill out the form. Do this first, then the drivers license office (because they will ask that you have already done the SSA) then you can change everything else. Also, there wasn't a charge for me when I did any of the changes. Good luck.
  • Thanks y'all! It seems like its going to be easiest, with the least amount of hoops to jump through, to just have two middle names. I really appreciate the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards