Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Dollar Dance Songs

We want to have a "dollar" dance (for lack of better description) so that we can dance with all of our guests... However, I do not  want to have them give us money. I instead decided that we will have pads of paper for them to leave us a piece of advice as a substitute for money. 
I am really stuck on what songs to have for this.. Anyone have suggestions? I know we want slower songs, but after that we are lost.. Help?!

Re: Dollar Dance Songs

• Options

We want to have a "dollar" dance (for lack of better description) so that we can dance with all of our guests... However, I do not  want to have them give us money. I instead decided that we will have pads of paper for them to leave us a piece of advice as a substitute for money. 

I am really stuck on what songs to have for this.. Anyone have suggestions? I know we want slower songs, but after that we are lost.. Help?!
    I have no idea what song you should use, but if you want to do a dollar dance type thing, kudos for doing it in a way that won't actually ask for money!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    I think it is usually a polka, not a slow song.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    What difference does it make what songs are used? Will other people not be allowed to dance at this time? Just continue with the regularly planned set list. And why do people have to give you something to be able to dance with you?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:

What difference does it make what songs are used? Will other people not be allowed to dance at this time? Just continue with the regularly planned set list. And why do people have to give you something to be able to dance with you?

I agree. Why isn't it possible for you to dance with all your guests who want to dance without their having to give something for the privilege?
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    I agree. Why isn't it possible for you to dance with all your guests who want to dance without their having to give something for the privilege?
    I disagree. As long as the guests aren't being asked for money, it's pretty much just a game. It may be silly, but no less so than, say, group dances like the Cha Cha Slide or Chicken Dance (which I personally think are awful, but I also know LOTS of people like). 

At this point, it's a matter of taste or family tradition, but updated so it's not rude. 
  • Options

Jen4948 said:

AddieCake said:

I disagree. As long as the guests aren't being asked for money, it's pretty much just a game. It may be silly, but no less so than, say, group dances like the Cha Cha Slide or Chicken Dance (which I personally think are awful, but I also know LOTS of people like). 

At this point, it's a matter of taste or family tradition, but updated so it's not rude. 

Why is a game or gimmick necessary? Why can't the OP just dance with whoever else is at the reception who wants to dance? I agree with you about those group dances, but I honestly don't see what this gesture of payment changing hands adds.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    What are you disagreeing about? The question of "why is it necessary" was asked. There's nothing to disagree about. If Jen or I had said, "This is still rude" or something to that effect, you might disagree, but you disagree that we ask why it even needs to happen at all? I'm genuinely curious why OP can't just dance with guests. She specifically said they wanted to do this "so that we can dance with all of our guests" as if this is the only way.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    jacques27 said:
    I was just at a wedding where the bride danced with nearly everyone.  You know how she accomplished it?  By having good, danceable music, being out on the dance floor having fun, and going up to people and dancing with them.  You don't have sell yourself (even for advice) to get people to dance with you.  You're not royalty who can't mingle with with the peasants unless they pay the fee - just get out and dance and invite them to dance with you!

If you still want the advice, make it part of your guestbook.  If people don't want to dance, turning it into a hokey game where they also have to come up with advice isn't going to change their mind, in fact, it might alienate some of the singles in the crowd who might think they have nothing to offer in the way of advice since they've never married.
    This! I danced with about 90% of our wedding guests. You know how I did it? I invited people to dance with me and I spent about 3 hours on the dance floor, with great music. 

You're the bride. People want to dance with you! If you're out there dancing, they'll join you. You don't need a gimmick or a cheesy game. While I agree that this isn't as rude as a dollar dance, it's still stopping the party. 
  • Options
    I had never heard of Dollar Dances until I came on this site, yet I've been to many weddings and danced with the bride and groom. Have plenty of danceable music and just dance with people if you want too. I truly don't understand why people would have to give anything for that "privilege".
  • Options
    First off, thank you for not asking your guests for money. That would be horribly rude.

Second, I'm not sure why you need a song to dance to with everyone or how they will write down their advice to you while they are dancing, but if you really do need a song, why not use "I Hope You Dance" by LeAnn Womack?

Third - don't call it a Dollar Dance. Have the DJ play the song and introduce it as a group dance to celebrate the love you have for everyone in the room.
  • Options

So are you the only one allowed on the dance floor during these songs? You and whoever is lining up for 10 seconds to dance with you? Because that's where the bummer and the buzzkill come in. Letting other people dance too? Go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards