Wedding 911
Options

Gay officiant

Ok, so my pastor ( who we asked to officiate) is Gay. and I thought that FI was ok with that. He even asked the if the pastor would like to officiate. He has now changed his mind about being ok with that. I don't know what to do!!!!!!! How do I handle this sudden change????

Re: Gay officiant

• Options

Ok, so my pastor ( who we asked to officiate) is Gay. and I thought that FI was ok with that. He even asked the if the pastor would like to officiate. He has now changed his mind about being ok with that. I don't know what to do!!!!!!! How do I handle this sudden change????

I'm guessing if you had to ask FI once if he's okay with a gay officiant, his homophobic views aren't a "sudden change" (or a dealbreaker to the OP since she agreed to marry him).

I wouldn't marry someone with those beliefs, but you obviously will so just find a new officiant.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your kind and understanding words of wisdom. they were just what I needed when I was feeling vulnerable really thank you. Can you feel my sarcasm???? GOOD!
    FI has been raised to believe that way, its not just him that feels that way but also a fair share of his family. I cannot control how they feel. it just is.I may not agree with it but I can respect other peoples feelings. I love it how people can say that I should look into postponing the wedding. Do you think I went into this engagement not discussing things like this? I understand how he feels and he understands that I feel differently. We agree to disagree. After all marriage is all about compromise is it not? He understands that he will not be able to change my beliefs and that I will not be able to change his. I was not looking for my fiance to be called a homophobe I was looking for honest advice in my time of need.
  • Options

Thank you so much for your kind and understanding words of wisdom. they were just what I needed when I was feeling vulnerable really thank you. Can you feel my sarcasm???? GOOD!
    FI has been raised to believe that way, its not just him that feels that way but also a fair share of his family. I cannot control how they feel. it just is.I may not agree with it but I can respect other peoples feelings. I love it how people can say that I should look into postponing the wedding. Do you think I went into this engagement not discussing things like this? I understand how he feels and he understands that I feel differently. We agree to disagree. After all marriage is all about compromise is it not? He understands that he will not be able to change my beliefs and that I will not be able to change his. I was not looking for my fiance to be called a homophobe I was looking for honest advice in my time of need.

Box?
    Obviously he was raised to be this way. It would be really odd if he became a homophobe on his own. Even if your child is not gay, do you want this cycle to continue and raise a person that is as prejudiced as your FI and future in laws?

• Options
    edited November 2015

And you received honest advice. If you knew about his feelings regarding gay people, you really can't be that surprised that he's objecting to a gay pastor. What do you expect us to do for you?

I personally would never even consider dating a homophobe. But hey, that's just me. If you're OK with it, why are you here asking for advice??
  • Options
    I agree with @climbingwife, what advice are you asking for if you're fine with the situation? You want advice on what to do with the pastor? Honestly? I would just tell him why you don't want him to officiate, because you'd be doing him a favor. If I were him I wouldn't want anything to do with someone who hates me for something that has zero affect on them whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I would talk to your FI and ask him to pinpoint the problem and what led him to change his mind. Is he afraid that this minister will somehow use your wedding as an opportunity to push an "agenda"? Is he concerned of how his family will react? I think once you try to get him to identify the issue, you can more rationally discuss why it truly is a "non issue".

ETA: If his change of heart was driven by something said by his parents or another family member, I suggest working on setting boundaries with his family. There is a very possible liklihood that at some point in your marriage you will do something they won't agree with (it may be as simple as deciding to celebrate Thanksgiving with your family instead of his). He'll need to work on how to draw a line and calmly explain that the two of you have made a decision as a couple and that you expect them to respect that decision.
  • Options
    drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    "That's how he was raised" is no excuse. I was raised in a very homophobic family and I knew from day one their beliefs were absolute bullshit and told them so, over and over and over. Furthermore, I don't believe in showing to compassion to bigots or those who support and make excuses for them, my compassion is saved for the people bigots hurt with their words and actions.

You are choosing to marry someone with intolerant beliefs towards an entire group of people, what "honest advice" are you looking for?

• Options

I would talk to your FI and ask him to pinpoint the problem and what led him to change his mind. Is he afraid that this minister will somehow use your wedding as an opportunity to push an "agenda"? Is he concerned of how his family will react? I think once you try to get him to identify the issue, you can more rationally discuss why it truly is a "non issue".

ETA: If his change of heart was driven by something said by his parents or another family member, I suggest working on setting boundaries with his family. There is a very possible liklihood that at some point in your marriage you will do something they won't agree with (it may be as simple as deciding to celebrate Thanksgiving with your family instead of his). He'll need to work on how to draw a line and calmly explain that the two of you have made a decision as a couple and that you expect them to respect that decision.

Boxes!!! ARGH!

So much This^^^^^^

"Ask until" you get to the heart of the real objection for why he flip-flopped on having her officiate over your ceremony. It very well could be what someone else said to him and he's trying to avoid conflict/confrontation and really may not be a "with him" issue. It could be a family member thinking preachers should only be men. It could just be something ENTIRELY unrelated to her status, he may just not like her preaching style after having attended services with her a few more weeks. Get him to verbalize what the objection is (who knows, maybe he's trying to protect her from his family!), and don't make any assumptions until you do so, and only then figure out what's next from there.
  • Options
    I agree you need to find out exactly why he changed his mind. What church will you be attending after the wedding? Still this one with the gay pastor? Does your fiancé go to church?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

You got honest advice. It is a bad idea to marry a homophobe, which unfortunately what your fiance and his family are. If you have known this about them and have discussed it, I'm not sure what you are looking for here. The honest advice is that you NEED to think again before marrying into a family with such beliefs, unless you too are homophobic.

Like the PP said, would you marry someone who was prejudiced against black people? Would you justify it because his great great grandfather owned slaves and so his family has just all "grown up that way"? No. This is no different.

Q: How do I handle this sudden change?
    A: Think long and hard about whether you are REALLY okay becoming Mrs. (and perhaps someday Mother) Bigot.
  • Options
    I am not sure why him changing his mind about your officiant seems sudden or is surprising. You knew his and his families feelings on those who are gay so really this change of heart is something that you should have expected.

• Options
    Here's some *compassionate* advice for you: Ask your pastor, your religious leader and someone you (hopefully) see as a moral compass about this problem. Ask another leader of your church. See what they have to say.

I assure you, hearing these words from strangers on the internet is much better than having to face your religious community with this same question, and likely the same opinions. Which is probably why you came here instead of there in the first place.
  • Options
    Here's some *compassionate* advice for you: Ask your pastor, your religious leader and someone you (hopefully) see as a moral compass about this problem. Ask another leader of your church. See what they have to say.

I assure you, hearing these words from strangers on the internet is much better than having to face your religious community with this same question, and likely the same opinions. Which is probably why you came here instead of there in the first place.
    Not a bad idea @JediElizabeth; some counseling here would probably avert other future issues too. OP should take FI with her since she shouldn't be saddled with his bullshit alone.

If he still doesn't come to his senses, FI should also be the one to tell the pastor that HE is deciding against the pastor for HIS own small-minded reasons. 
  • Options
    OP -- second all the questions here about what exactly you're looking for advice on. Do you want advice on how to break the news to your pastor, or advice on how to handle your FI in this instance?

Either way, I would recommend pre-marital counselling. This isn't, as someone posted above, about trying to compromise about what you want for dinner. These are two different ideological views on life. Does that mean you should call off your wedding and kick him to the curb? I don't think so. But it does mean that you both need to have a very clear understanding about what is to be expected from this very sticky area of your relationship.

Not quite a perfect example, but here: My mother was a racist. I didn't know until after she died when my father told me. Why? Because my mother had her beliefs, but she also believed that she shouldn't push her ideas on others or treat people badly -- particularly in front of her daughter. I brought black friends home after school to play, and she'd feed us snacks and make us do our homework and kick us outside until it was dark and the parents came the same as she would with any other friends of any other ethnicity. Were her beliefs wrong? Yes. But in my mind being tolerant is to accept that other people in the world have bad or wrong ideologies or outlooks and being able to move on as long as they don't mistreat other people based on that.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards