Snarky Brides

Dear Direct Marketers: A Rant

2»

Re: Dear Direct Marketers: A Rant

• TNDancer said:
    Yes, I got the pitch on that travel thing. I was totally tricked into because she mentioned another friend of mine. (Damn that man for suggesting me). Luckily my brilliant H said NO, I was being stupid to consider it.
    Another MK party trick is to run a "raffle" where you say, "I know ANY woman would love to have a free spa treatment, right? So I want you to write down the phone numbers of anyone you think deserves some pampering! Whoever writes down the most numbers in three minutes wins a free gift!"

This happened at an MK party I had 3-4 years ago. All of us dutifully wrote down a bunch of numbers. It didn't dawn on me how sleazy it was until one of my mom's friends who was at the party said, "Well, I know a lot of women, but I can't think of any who would be okay with me giving out their phone number to a stranger!" That punched me right in the gut.

Not to mention the poor consultant who then needed to cold call all those people! I couldn't do it, man. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • One of my friends is now into selling Arbonne, and she is being really pushy with all of us in our circle about hosting or going to parties. I went to one, just to be supportive, but she got pissed off at me for not attending one the week before that as well. WTF? How many do I have to go to?! Thanks for making me feel like all I am to you is a filler party guest.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I sell Steeped Tea. I tried selling Younique but it didn't work for me because you HAVE to be on social media 24/7 selling!
    With steeped tea, it's still direct sales but I find people will more come to me for stuff as me chasing people down for stuff.
    I do pretty decent and I just started, but I wanted it as a side hustle.

I promise you ladies, I don't harass people with messages and any of the stuff I post about my tea products isn't ALL OVER MY FACEBOOK .... it's some there but mainly on my page for it.

*holds hand up* I promise to never harass people about direct sales.
  • Fortunately, the only MLM I've encountered during wedding planning (that I actually gave contact information to, that is) is Mary Kay. I was in early planning stages, and I think I got some sample kit (that I ended up throwing away anyway) for giving my info. I've gotten 2-3 emails saying I won some spa or makeup package... a few weeks into planning, I contacted the girl who cuts my hair and her salon is now doing our hair and makeup anyway.

However, I am inundated on Facebook by these people and it's SO annoying! A good friend of mine invited me to her friend's Mary Kay party and said specifically we didn't have to buy anything, she was just going to show us some facial products...yeah, we were stupid to fall for that line. There were only a few of us, but once we got there we were so pressured to buy stuff! I bought the cheapest thing, acne cream for $7. Luckily, I think this MK rep has given up since then...

I've been added to Younique groups that post 20 times a day, and now have a friend selling LipSense and she posts multiple selfies every day of what color she's wearing...psst, no one cares. My sister waits tables and has been Facebook messaged by a co-worker who she is not close with about buying some type of Herbalife/Shakeology drink and would not let it drop no matter how many times my sister told her she wasn't interested. I don't see how these people don't realize how annoying they are... if I'm not interested, I'm not interested!
  • It's 9:45 at night and I just got a text from a Mary Kay rep from that damn bridal show that I won a special prize and should reply for details.

I didn't stop by your booth. I don't want your 'no pressure to buy but everyone gets a facial' prize! Not to mention, don't text me this late unless we're friends! And finally: go away!
  • Love this thread I have unfriended 5 people on my FB in the past 10 months because of their constant postings on the crap they sell. They go as follows:

Thrive- It's a patch I guess that gives you more energy? And supposed to help you lose weight... I was PM'd about and asked if I'd heard about it and would I be interested. I said yes.. and no thanks I'll just eat healthy and exercise... She kind of didn't like that response.

It Works-Another weight loss thing the gal selling it has posted some before and after pictures and to be honest I can't tell which is which.

Some body wrap thing?? Can't remember the name but NO! I'll include a awful story I read at the bottom of this regarding the body wrap people

Doterra/Young Living-Ok I love oils.. a lot.. BUT I also have a good friend who teaches a class on them for a University (who knew right?) Anyway Doterra/Young Living don't have the purest oils as they claim so I prefer Native American Oils. BUT these people aren't near as pushy as the others.

Avon-I am surprised this is still around I remember the Avon lady coming to my mom's house in the 80's :) I don't mind their stuff I guess.

Mary Kay-Another one that's been around forever.. I like some of their stuff... I did not like not hearing from a old friend for over 5 years however and when she found out I got married asked if she could do my makeup. I had to tell her I was hiring it done by someone who did airbrushing.. She didn't respond.

31-I've bought a few bags they aren't pushy that I've seen

Passion Parties- HAHA I used to sell this. At that time they didn't really push you much.

Beachbody-Its kind of concerning that people who mostly don't have a formal education in personal training are giving workout and nutrition advise. No thanks.

Tastefully simple-Ok I actually LOVE this stuff. I LOVE the food. I've never been hounded to buy and I love the way the food tastes..

Jamberry-Spendy and they didn't work for me.

I DO NOT like being invited to a shower that is a home party. Pampered Chef seems to be the main one. I've been invited to a few now.. The theme goes that the bride gets a cut of the $$$ Sold PLUS she fills out a registry and you buy the gift while you are there. That stuff gets spendy!

This is whats been blasted all over my FB lately.. The ones who get really annoying like I said I unfriend. To each their own I know some people like different ones like me loving Tastefully Simple they aren't for everyone so I hope to not offend anyone by this post.

Ok now onto my story about the wrap thing.. The story was a letter written by a women who had given birth recently. She has gone to the gym for the first time after giving birth and found a note in her locker by one of those wrap consultants saying how they could help get rid of those "unsightly stretch marks" and lose that baby weight. The women signed her name and left her number as well....

The new mother went on to explain in this open letter how she had delivered a stillborn baby girl a few weeks prior and those stretch marks were the only reminder she had that her baby girl had been with her at one time saying hi mom I'm here. And that was the first time she'd really left the house since the baby was born. She said she knew the women had been staring at her in the locker room but didn't think much of it until she found the note in her locker. I still cry for that women when I think about her opening her locker to find that.  ON WHAT FUCKING PLANET IS THAT OK!

• Ok now onto my story about the wrap thing.. The story was a letter written by a women who had given birth recently. She has gone to the gym for the first time after giving birth and found a note in her locker by one of those wrap consultants saying how they could help get rid of those "unsightly stretch marks" and lose that baby weight. The women signed her name and left her number as well....

The new mother went on to explain in this open letter how she had delivered a stillborn baby girl a few weeks prior and those stretch marks were the only reminder she had that her baby girl had been with her at one time saying hi mom I'm here. And that was the first time she'd really left the house since the baby was born. She said she knew the women had been staring at her in the locker room but didn't think much of it until she found the note in her locker. I still cry for that women when I think about her opening her locker to find that.  ON WHAT FUCKING PLANET IS THAT OK!

Holy hell; that is awful!!  She clearly handled it better than I would have. And I hope she complained to the gym and the formal organization as well.  

A good friend of mine sells Younique, she's passionate about it and loves it and I'm happy for her.  I'd hope she has the good sense to not offend her way into a sales pitch.   Every person has a story and it's not up to a stranger to determine what that story is!
  • I get hit up by Jamberry reps all the time. I'm super into nail polish and nail art and every so often a Jamberry rep sneaks into some nail groups I'm in on Facebook to peddle their wares for as long as they can before being booted. It's so annoying, they're basically saying "hey, I know you really love painting your nails and doing nail art and own a shitton of nail polish, but why don't you spend $15 on a one-time use sticker?" I can spend less than that on a bottle from an indie that will last me ~10 manicures minimum, why would I want to buy shitty stickers that require a hair dryer to apply?
  • I don't mind it if it's on my terms. I have some Jamberry and find that for $15 (or buy 3 get 1 free), I get enough for two manicures and they last far longer than any manicure I've ever had in the salon. For holiday stuff, I dig it.

Ditto for my friend's mom that vs ells Demarle. She's not pushy and the cookware is great.

When you keep asking me to buy your lotion I'm going to stop contact.
  • Holy hell on the stillborn baby story. So sorry to hear that!

Salespeople... have to know their audience. One of my coworkers is a Facebook friend and she's extremely subtle about her Jamberry nails.
    A sample status update would be something like, "Excited about [x big work presentation] today. Glad my nails look great for it. [insert picture]."
    I really don't mind the combination of a totally valid status update along with a spot for what she's selling.

• Oy. The body wrap people are the worst- They're everywhere, it seems!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I DO NOT like being invited to a shower that is a home party. Pampered Chef seems to be the main one. I've been invited to a few now.. The theme goes that the bride gets a cut of the $$$ Sold PLUS she fills out a registry and you buy the gift while you are there. That stuff gets spendy!

Ok, what? How is this a thing? Do all the party-goers know the bride's getting a cut of this? 
  • I DO NOT like being invited to a shower that is a home party. Pampered Chef seems to be the main one. I've been invited to a few now.. The theme goes that the bride gets a cut of the $$$ Sold PLUS she fills out a registry and you buy the gift while you are there. That stuff gets spendy!

Ok, what? How is this a thing? Do all the party-goers know the bride's getting a cut of this? 
    My friend was the bride for one of these, and not necessarily? She told me, as if it were the greatest thing ever, but that was maybe because she was also talking about how incompetent her MIL and SIL would have been at hosting the shower alone and so she was glad her aunt (the PC consultant) could help them.

I didn't go to the shower, being a lot pregnant at the time, and did not send a gift because I was turned off. (The poor aunt was also her personal attendant for the wedding.)

I was also pissed afterwards because she used her cut to get more PC stuff - I'm sure that's how it works - and made it the gift for our other mutual friend's wedding. Problem is, she had no idea whether it was an item said friend would actually like or use, and I have no understanding how people can buy gifts without the recipient's likes/dislikes in mind. I can receive such gifts graciously (duh) but I will never understand the thought process unless it's meant to be a sentimental gift.
  • I've been at several showers with Pampered Chef "registries."  Someone (often the mother of the bride) hosts an online "party" and people can shop within the party if they choose for a gift for the bride. Yes, hosting a Pampered Chef party gets the host free gifts and $x in credit depending on how much is sold, but at all the parties I've seen, all the free gifts and the credit goes to the bride. And the host has never used that as her gift, and I think that's tacky if someone does.
  • I loathe the pyramid parties. My sister just joined ItWorks, so naturally me being a plus sized woman means I want to lose weight and every day she messages me before and after pictures of some girl who had a life changing wrap. Honey child I am not fat by accident. I love being a size 24, so STFU. Or, I really need her hair, skin and nails pills for my wedding. Because I will look so good in pictures!!!! Ugh.

I will say that I do love PureRomance (or Passion parties someone called them I think ?). I think its great to have a healthy sex life, and the consultants are trained and certified on sexual health. I have a great consultant that only gets pushy when they have a big kit sale, and she wants me to join. Other than that she made her own FB page just for Pure Romance, and gives updates on new scents and stuff, and doesn't spam friend requests. I think I might have added her. IDK. But its not pushy at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards