Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Scrapping the Reception

My fiancé and I are on an extremely tight budget and have scrapped the reception. We feel that a fun cocktail attire dinner the night before fits us better, but we are not going to be able to foot the bill for everyone's plate even if only half of the invited guests actually attend.

Is this rude? We're planning on sending out invites for dinner and narrowing down the menu at a restaurant of our choosing to accommodate that restaurant's staff.

I'm worried that guests may be offended by us chopping down their selection when we're not paying for their meal in the first place. Help?

Re: Scrapping the Reception

• Options
    A reception is a thank you for attending the ceremony.  This can be a simple cake and punch reception or a full blown sit down dinner.   At no time should your guests have to pay for anything.    

Here are some suggestions:

Cut your list to only those you can afford to host.
    Have an afternoon ceremony with a cake and punch reception
    Look into a brunch/lunch reception.   
    Elope

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm really confused. You scrapped the reception because it's not your style? You do understand that the reception isn't for you, right? The reception is to thank people for taking time out of their lives to watch you say your vows.

Let's skip that part for a second. So you want to invite people to a pre-wedding dinner, which they will pay for, then you get to dictate what they can and cannot eat even though they're hosting themselves???? And this to accommodate the staff at the restaurant??? What???? This doesn't even make sense.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Please add "XP" to the thread title when you cross-post.

I answered you in the "Etiquette" folder.
  • Options
    OP, it is very bad internet manners to post the same question on three different boards.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    "Is this rude?" Yes. Terribly.

You want people to co.e the night before, pay for their own meal, pay for a hotel if they aren't local, then watch your ceremony and then you don't want to host them. The only thing that would make this worse would be having a dollar dance and THEN making people leave.

Skip the welcome did that sucks and isnt welcoming. Have your ceremony at 2:00. Then host a cake and punch reception that ends at 5.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Disgusting.  I travel and buy you a gift and then you hand me a bill?  Nope, friendship over.  

• Options
    Stop it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards