Attire & Accessories Forum

Altering a Large Dress

Does anyone have experience with getting a dress altered that is several sizes too big? I bought a larger dress, because it was a great deal and the woman at the store assured me that it could be altered to fit me without any issue.

She suggested that I'd probably be looking at around $250 in alterations, but I'm starting to worry that it's going to be more involved. I'm contacting a seamstress tomorrow. Has anyone taken a dress down many sizes and would you mind sharing how much it cost?

Re: Altering a Large Dress

• edited November 2015
    My dress was about two full sizes too big by the time of fitting, maybe even three sizes too big in the boob region. It also needed serious hemming because I am only about 4'11. It was a strapless all lace fit and flare. Alterations were no problem. The dress looked and fit amazing. My wedding was over a year ago so I don't remember the exact price, but I want to say around 350 for alterations, maybe a bit more. In the hands of a good seamstress I think you should be fine.

Edit: before and after alterations: http://imgur.com/a/ge6ot
  • Thank you! That's a beautiful dress.
  • This really depends on the silhouette and materials. My dress (A-line gown with illusion neckline and lace overlay) was the correct size and my alterations still cost over $400--taken in slightly at the sides, straps shortened a little, taken in a little on the back so netting/buttons would lay smoothly, sash sown into dress, length shorted, and bustle added.
  • My dress (purchased new off of Nearly Newlyweds) was at least 2 sizes too big, maybe more in the bust. I had quite a bit of work done to it--it was a lace A line that needed significant hemming, and obviously needed to be taken in significantly. I also had her restructure the torso to be more fitted and she removed three of the seven (!!!) layers of tulle under the lace. All told it cost me just under $600 to have that done by a high-end seamstress outside of a major northeast city. Not cheap but it was worth every penny.
  • I had a bridesmaid dress altered that was several sizes to big (I was size 14 when the bride insisted we order the dress, but 7 months later at the wedding I was down to a size 2). That cost over $200 to alter down with the seamstress I used, but others quoted me $400-1000 depending on where I went and many said they couldn't do it at all. The seamstress i ended up using said it's not always possible to alter down that much depending on the dress: think sweetheart necklines that may be wider, boning set further apart, detailing made to a certain width, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards