Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Wearing grandmother's jewelry

I recently purchased my wedding dress, and upon sharing photos of the dress with my aunt, she told me that my grandmother wanted her pearls to go to me when I got engaged and that she wanted me to wear them on my wedding day. While I am honored to accept this gift, a regular strand of pearls are not the look I am going for. My dress is very simple and I was looking to wear a colorful statement necklace. I have always had a different style than my grandmother and aunt, a style I don't think they have every really understood. How do I honor my grandmother's wishes, while still staying true to my own vision for my big day?

Best Answers

Answers

• My dad gave me pearls. I wore them to our rehearsal and on the wedding day wore a sapphire pendant H had given me.
  • Can the pearls be sewn to your dress or otherwise incorporated into your ensemble for the day, while you wear the necklace you like?
  • I was also going to suggest turning the necklace into a bracelet, or incorporating it into your bouquet some how. 
  • I'd wear the pearls because I hate costume jewelry, especially for a special occasion.
  • I agree that pearls are beautiful and classic bridal. You could wear them for the ceremony and then swap them out for the statement necklace for the reception.
  • I agree with the ladies. OP, I don't think you will regret wearing the pearls (whether as is or in a more fitting manner for you), however you might regret not wearing them.

• If you're not into wearing the pearls don't wear them. Yes they're classic, but if that's not your style don't let people pressure you. You should feel good, beautiful, and confident on your wedding day; wear whatever makes you feel like that. If you still want to honor her wishes I still think wearing them as a bracelet or on your bouquet is a good compromise. Or wear them to the rehearsal? No it's not the same, but might be a nice way to wear them, but not take away from how you see yourself on your wedding day.
  • edited December 2015
    You could buy an enhancer for the string of pearls. Either attach it to the clasp or have your jeweler make a large bale (bail?) to attach it front, center if the pearls are gradauated. You will have an adaptable piece of jewelry that no one else will have and a family heirloom.

https://www.carolynpollack.com/category/Catalog-Carolyn-Pollack-Jewelry-Pendants

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards