Wedding Woes

Holiday package warning...

This past weekend I went back home by my parent's place.  Got back and there was an Amazon box out on the front step, wracked my brain a bit trying to figure out what I'd ordered...  Got to the box, it was opened up and folded like my DH likes to do with boxes that annoys the crap out of me...  Eventually I opened it and found someone else's address label ripped off of it and figured it'd fell off the recycling truck (they tend to leave an annoying trail) Just found it odd, couldn't remember ordering anything so just rolled with it.  Then looked on Amazon and found that there was a book that hadn't been released that'd arrived on Saturday (but figured DH had brought it in with the mail and just didn't know where he put it because it was Monday)..

Today a County Deputy stopped by asking about the package that was delivered and if we still had it, which we did.  Confirmed my info and informed me that someone was trailing the UPS truck in our area and we weren't the only ones and gave me a case number...  What really gets me is whomever did this came up to the house which we're quite a ways off the road so a bit unsettling... 

Lesson learned...  I'm now debating somewhere between setting up a trail cam hidden somewhere and putting in a security camera to see who's coming to the door because if they did it once in this neighborhood, they'll do it again...  I'm almost tempted to put up a little sign for delivery drivers/USPS to put packages at a different door that isn't visible from the road side of the house...  Absolutely maddening all the same... 

Re: Holiday package warning...

• That's awful!  And... weird!  This guy stole a bunch of packages but left the box behind?  That would make me so mad, especially now that it's the holidays and I order 90% online.  

Amazon is kind of amazing, I imagine if you let them know about the theft and the police case number they could work with you to get a replacement.  I'm sorry it's gone in the first place though!
  • How terrible! I will never understand why these type of people exist.

I don't think I would have a sign for deliveries to be left at another door.  Provided the thief can read, you've alerted him to another entry into your home. Your home is already a bit off of the road.  A thief will not be deterred if he knows it's at another door. Times like these make you re-evaluate your personal security.  I'm so sorry.

Could the replacement for the stolen items be included in your renter/homeowner insurance? Since there is a police report, I would contact Amazon and your insurance company to see what can be done.

Our family loves our security system.  Our system links to a cloud and livestreams, so it needs an internet connection to work.  Our home was broken into a few years ago.  The internet connection was disrupted, so the cameras didn't work.  It's been handy several times though. We have motion sensors on some windows, that also have cameras.  If the glass would break or the windows open when the alarm was set, it would go off.  They are sensitive, so they've gone off for things like wind, birds, woodland creatures.  We've been able to look at it before we request the police.

Some other things we have done to increase our security with a minimal expense compared to the cameras are:
    - door to the garage now has a deadbolt
    - all doors with windows now need a key to open the deadbolt on either side (it's very easy to break the window and unlock the door).... it can be annoying, but that's how the invader got in...
    - all sliding doors now have a deadbolt that goes into the door frames and foundation
    - light bulbs that can be turned on remotely, and lamps that are on timers.  We change the timers regularly.  this is one of the easiest, but effective things to do to trick a potential miscreant into thinking you are home
    -added a hostage code to our alarm system
    - put an NRA member sticker on the window. 
  • amazon will replace it. just call and report it  was stolen and give them the police case number. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards