Chit Chat

cat question!

Hey ladies! 

We got a cat a week ago, he is still a kitty several months old. He is white and yellow.

Well I noticed on Friday he keeps getting this black-ish crust on the slits of his nose. He lets me scrape it off with my finger/nail but I was wondering if there is any way to prevent this? 

Bare with me and the silly questions, neither of us has ever had a cat! 

TIA

Re: cat question!

• If he's not bothered by it and isn't symptomatic, I wouldn't be too worried. One of our cats had black discharge and it end up being a sinus infection, but she was constantly sneezing and coughing too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ericasm0703 yeah he hasn't had any symptoms. thanks :) 

I know some cats have eye discharge and there is a solution to clean it/bathe them with. So I was wondering about the nose because of it.

• It could just be a runny nose due to the change in atmosphere/home.  If it's not bothering him, let it be!

Welcome to cat motherhood!
  • @kimmiinthemitten

thank you! it is definitely an adventure. We have a dog (who apparently grew up with cats because she doesn't even attempt to bark at the cat, she has wanted to play all along) and they are still in the get to know each other stage. 

driving me nuts but its cute and fun. 

cat is trying to play with the christmas tree atm *fabulous*

• JaniV123 said:
    @kimmiinthemitten

thank you! it is definitely an adventure. We have a dog (who apparently grew up with cats because she doesn't even attempt to bark at the cat, she has wanted to play all along) and they are still in the get to know each other stage. 

driving me nuts but its cute and fun. 

cat is trying to play with the christmas tree atm *fabulous*
    Our cat we adopted last year only cared about a couple ornaments.  We ended up taking a couple plastic round ornaments and placing them on our ottoman for him to bat at and it worked.  Our girl we adopted this summer I can confident is going to be a nutbag, so we're slowly introducing the decorations.  She's a drama queen about everything though LOL.

Once the adjustment period is over, everything will be great, but it is stressful in the beginning.

Now, where's our photo?
  • Aww <3.  Love him!
  • I just popped in to say congratulations on your kitty. He's cute.

• Adorable!!!! Congratulations!!!!

How often does the discharge pop up? Mine get it occasionally, I probably notice and wipe it once a week or so.

Last year was the first year I had a tree with the cats. FH tied it to the walls with fishing line, but it wasn't really needed. They explored it a bit but got over it. I was surprised as they are generally mischievous and destructive - so there's really no way to know! 

Cats will really try your patience but it's so worth it. Your life will be infinitely richer and happier. So excited for you!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @randomslove

thanks! 

@spockforprez
    i cleaned it Friday and today 

So far he likes to tap the dangling hearts and bells on the tree and bite the lights (which is the only truly concerning thing) 

I have been shooing him from the tree and now if I hear him and look at him he runs away. Also worked with the dog food (he tried to eat it before and today he hasn't dared try to eat it). 

so worth it, he is adorable and soooo loving. cant wait till they become besties lol

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Oh my Bast, he is the cutest thing! I want to rub his belly and smoosh him.

As for your question, some cats just get eyes and nose gunk. My former beloved got bugers a lot, it was never a symptom of anything harmful. My current Loki has a tendency to get eye crusties, no eye problems at all.

If he starts sneezing and wheezing, that could be a problem, but it just sounds like he is prone to that.

If you don't mind some advice (this being your first cat and all) . Make sure he has a scratching post, cats need to scratch their claws. If he has a post and you show him that's what it is for and praise him when he uses it, he won't destroy the furniture.

Don't keep his food close to his litter box, cats hate that, they are very clean creatures.

Scoop the litter box at least every other day. Loki demands once a day, he's very fussy.

Squirt bottle, get one, hands down best way to keep kitty off and our of places you don't want him to be.

Lastly, don't use your hands as toys. It's cute when their kittens, but not when they're full grown, and if they grow up thinking hands are toys they don't understandwhy it's suddenly not cool. Toys are toys, hands are there to pet and feed you.

• @drunkenwitch

I do not mind the advice at all. Thank you so much! Definitely no hands as toys, he has already bitten me twice! 

• JaniV123 said:

@drunkenwitch

I do not mind the advice at all. Thank you so much! Definitely no hands as toys, he has already bitten me twice! 

Yeah...they will do that. Loki is notorious for looking cute to solicit pets, then attacking. I give him a firm, loud NO and push him away. I've also given him a tap on the nose a few times, that's one way cat moms discipline their kittens so it is highly effective.

• Adorable! Congrats.

• He is soo cute! I love him! (I named a cactus plant Pepe once).
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @pinkcow13

thanks!!! I am glad to see you around here (I hadn't seen you since I came back)!

@emmaaa

thanks!! 

• Adorable!

I've noticed it not uncommon for kittens to experience discharge either from nose or eyes, likely due to some sort of infection/virus, then it goes away. My previous cat started getting eye gunk as he got older. As long as it isn't bothering him I wouldn't worry, and just keep an eye on it in regard to how often it's happen and any other symptoms. 

Congrats on the new kitty!

Regarding the claws- teach him now to accept having his paws touched and nails trimmed, them keep them trimmed. When the nails are left natural they grow a little hook on the end which is what catches on things, so if you keep them trim, much less chance for damage. 

I have also been reading that one should have different types of scratching posts- some cats like a tall post to stretch out on, while other cats like a flat post that they hunker down on (you'll soon learn which kind of scratcher your kitty is ;) does he scratch the arm of the couch or stretch up the side of it). 

Lots of playtime! Particularly before bed (for you). Cats naturally hunt, eat, groom then sleep. So if you can stimulate that scenario (play then either a meal or a healthy meat treat) you should have a better time with less night-time shenanigans. 
  • Cute kitty, congrats! I have one additional piece of advice related to what  @drunkenwitch said about food near the litter box: Our vet also told us that cats prefer that their water and food not be near to each other, since in the wild, dead prey can contaminate water - so they do not drink from water sources that are next to their prey... We found that keeping the water in a separate room had led them to drink WAY more. Also, we just got our cats a fountain that pumps and filters their water, and they seem to enjoy it much more than a stagnant bowl.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cute kitty, congrats! I have one additional piece of advice related to what  @drunkenwitch said about food near the litter box: Our vet also told us that cats prefer that their water and food not be near to each other, since in the wild, dead prey can contaminate water - so they do not drink from water sources that are next to their prey... We found that keeping the water in a separate room had led them to drink WAY more. Also, we just got our cats a fountain that pumps and filters their water, and they seem to enjoy it much more than a stagnant bowl.
    My guys won't drink water out of a bowl next to the bowl of food, but will drink water out of a cup placed next to it.  Guests are constantly asking us about it.  Our guy also won't eat beef flavored food, nor any wet food not in a gravy.   Where do they come up with these things?!

Learning their likes/dislikes is quite funny IMO. 
  • SP29 said:
    Adorable!

I've noticed it not uncommon for kittens to experience discharge either from nose or eyes, likely due to some sort of infection/virus, then it goes away. My previous cat started getting eye gunk as he got older. As long as it isn't bothering him I wouldn't worry, and just keep an eye on it in regard to how often it's happen and any other symptoms. 

Congrats on the new kitty!

Regarding the claws- teach him now to accept having his paws touched and nails trimmed, them keep them trimmed. When the nails are left natural they grow a little hook on the end which is what catches on things, so if you keep them trim, much less chance for damage. 

I have also been reading that one should have different types of scratching posts- some cats like a tall post to stretch out on, while other cats like a flat post that they hunker down on (you'll soon learn which kind of scratcher your kitty is ;)does he scratch the arm of the couch or stretch up the side of it)

Lots of playtime! Particularly before bed (for you). Cats naturally hunt, eat, groom then sleep. So if you can stimulate that scenario (play then either a meal or a healthy meat treat) you should have a better time with less night-time shenanigans. 
    To the first bolded, so far he has no issues with us/me touching grabbing him to check his eyes, nose ears, or paws. I have to buy the nail clipper and wonder into that for the first time. I will probably search several videos just so I do it correctly. 

To the 2nd bolded he does both and especially he does a lot of happy paws when sleeping (spread out all over the couch). So no idea which would be best in that scenario. 

I am looking to buy a cover for the couch that is for animals.

madamerwin said:
    Cute kitty, congrats! I have one additional piece of advice related to what  @drunkenwitch said about food near the litter box: Our vet also told us that cats prefer that their water and food not be near to each other, since in the wild, dead prey can contaminate water - so they do not drink from water sources that are next to their prey... We found that keeping the water in a separate room had led them to drink WAY more. Also, we just got our cats a fountain that pumps and filters their water, and they seem to enjoy it much more than a stagnant bowl.
    since we also have a dog, he drinks from both. So far I have observed him and he drinks about the same amount from his water bowl (currently next to the food) than the dog's water bowl. 

But will definitely look into it if I notice his water intake decreases. 

Thank you both and all who have given advice! 

My guys won't drink water out of a bowl next to the bowl of food, but will drink water out of a cup placed next to it.  Guests are constantly asking us about it.  Our guy also won't eat beef flavored food, nor any wet food not in a gravy.   Where do they come up with these things?!

agreed! 

Pepe is scared shitless of the stand fan we have in the living room! He also has a confusion as to what association he wants with the dog every 30 seconds. And he likes sunkist tuna. With food we haven't had any issues yet. 

• JaniV123 said:
    Cute kitty, congrats! I have one additional piece of advice related to what  @drunkenwitch said about food near the litter box: Our vet also told us that cats prefer that their water and food not be near to each other, since in the wild, dead prey can contaminate water - so they do not drink from water sources that are next to their prey... We found that keeping the water in a separate room had led them to drink WAY more. Also, we just got our cats a fountain that pumps and filters their water, and they seem to enjoy it much more than a stagnant bowl.

agreed! 

Pepe is scared shitless of the stand fan we have in the living room! He also has a confusion as to what association he wants with the dog every 30 seconds. And he likes sunkist tuna. With food we haven't had any issues yet. 
    Yeah, cats are weirdos... We have friends whose cats will ONLY drink water out of the bathtub faucet turned to a thin, steady stream. And he just sticks his whole face under there and chugs it down (to the point where you have to cut him off before he pukes).

Our cats constantly beg for human food, but when we (very rarely) call their bluff and offer them some, they look at us like we're crazy. The only human food they like is deli meat and cheese, which we don't usually have in the house anyway.

They also find our dog to be a nuisance... Pup tries to get them to play or cuddle all the time, and they just growl at him, unless we get them high on catnip first. Then they just ignore him.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015

Interesting. That's why my cat keeps pushing the water bowl away from his food. I finally had to put it on the other side of the room.

My cat also loves cheese. Whenever I eat it, he is begging for some. It takes strong will power to resist him. I usually end up giving him extra kitty treats.

OMG- I never knew this! But it makes so much sense!

We always put their food and water bowl next to each other, but just a few years ago we found our my older cat (who has since passed :( ) was chronically dehydrated due to kidney issues, so we put out another water dish in another area of the house with the idea that with access to 2 bowls in different locations he'd drink more. Well- both cats started drinking only from that second bowl in the hallway. Now I have one water dish beside the food and one water dish upstairs and it's the upstairs dish that almost exclusively gets drank from! I'm going to move the first water dish somewhere else now....

Cats really are funny. My first cat would eat EVERYTHING. Loved wet food, cat treats, human food... and of course he had food allergies. My current cat will ONLY eat dry cat food, doesn't eat human food and only likes ONE kind of cat treat- even then, she takes two bites and leaves the rest.

@JaniV123 In that case, I would get both kinds of scratch objects if you can- there are very simple designs in each. Save your furniture and your sanity ;)

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    My boyfriend's cat will only drink water out of small plastic cups. And because Loki saw her do it, now he's the same way (he keeps trying to make friends by mimicking everything she does).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards