Not Engaged Yet
Options

AW: Our puppy!

We picked up Zoey Friday evening, and we've had a ton of fun with her all weekend. She'll be 4 months old later this week, and she's already crate trained and somewhat potty trained. All of the paperwork we signed says she's a corgi mix, but we have an appointment with the vet Wednesday, so we'll see what they say. 

Her personality has changed a little bit every day since we picked her up. As she's gotten more comfortable with us, she's getting more and more hyper and playful. She loves her crate, and I've yet to hear her bark, though I know she will soon. She's somewhat leash trained, and we're working on that each day. She's fine peeing outside but hates pooping outside, and we're working on that as well. She sleeps through the night and only cries when she wants attention during the day, but we know to ignore her and let her cry it out. Usually after about 5 minutes she chills out, which is great. We've already gotten over her fear of the stairs, and she's already learned to respond to her new name. She's also learning to do her business on the grass, so we've made a ton of progress already with her. She's a very smart pup! 

Yesterday we did have a small incident where she figured out how to get out of her crate while we were out running errands. She's a little ninja, that one. She actually didn't do much damage at all though, so we're pretty lucky. We rigged it to where she shouldn't be able to bust out today, so hopefully she's where we left her when I go home at lunch to let her out and feed her. We bought a pet-monitoring camera too, but H hasn't had a chance to set it up yet. He said he'll do that tonight, so tomorrow I'll be able to watch her while we're at work.

We signed her up for a 6-week training class that starts on 12/15. We have a coupon for a free 30-minute training consultation too that we'll schedule for this week or next week just to touch base and make sure we are doing a good job with her.

Here are pictures of the little rascal!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: AW: Our puppy!

• Options
    Yay!!!! Zoey is too cute for words <3

• Options
    OMG, she is so cute I can't stand it. PUPPY SNUGGLES!
  • Options
    I love all the pictures and I can't wait for more!!

• Options
    She is so adorable!!!

Anniversary

• Options
    Zoey is adorable! I'm so glad that she's adjusting quickly and well!  Hopefully she doesn't jailbreak today. 
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 I am so nervous to go home today at lunch and see what she's been up to. Originally we had her crate at the foot of our bed, but we moved it this morning to the guest bathroom (which is wood, not carpet). H and I moved anything out there that she could get into, and he even turned off the water to the toilet in case she gets out and chews on any piping. We gave her a peanut-butter-filled Kong toy when we left, so hopefully she tired herself out on that and spent the day sleeping. 

@Swazzle @futuremrshistorian @AlPacina @TwoDimes @peaseblossom55 Thank you! She's the cutest. I have a hard time resisting those puppy dog eyes.

• Options
    @eilis1228 - She is adorable!

P.S.  I've heard that if you freeze the Kong with the PB in there, it lasts even longer!
  • Options
    She is adorable!

• Options
    eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    @labro Yes, we're using a soft-sided crate. The PetSmart people who helped us get all our supplies recommended it over a metal crate, so we'll see how that goes. One of the pictures above shows the inside of her crate. It zips on two sides and the top, and she somehow figured out how to work the zipper on top. We figured out a way to lock the zippers in place, so she shouldn't be able to get out again.

I'm so proud of her! She wasn't crying when I got home earlier, though she was standing in the crate waiting for me. I got her to eat, pee, and poop in the 30-minute window I had, and we even fit in a few minutes of snuggles. I re-filled her Kong, and she was perfectly content when I left. Let's hope the rest of the week goes this smoothly! 

@CocoBellaF Thank you for the tip! We will definitely freeze her Kong tonight.

• Options
    @eilis1228 I'm not sure why they would recommend a soft crate for a puppy... If you wind up with a big chewer it'll be in shambles. You can probably find a used wire crate easily on Craigslist of that happens. Btw she is SO cute. Looks like a Jack Russell to me.
  • Options
    @eilis1228 glad she was still in her crate! I'm surprised that they recommended the cloth over metal.  We had a metal crate for Callie and she never tried to escape it. 

Also, for potty training... when my mom got her maltese the breeder suggested she put a bell on the door.  We got Christmas bells super cheap, and just tied them to the door knob by a ribbon so they'd hang low enough for each dog to reach. By training him to ring a bell to go out, it also trained our other dogs and now every dog we have uses a bell to ask to go out.  It helps a lot during the puppy stage because most times they'll just sit by the door.

Oh, and this is just me but when I was training Callie I would give her ice cubes instead of treats.  I figured it was healthier than treats, and she loved it. If she hears the freezer open she will run up and beg for an ice cube now. 
  • Options
    @untouchablets So far she hasn't been huge on chewing, but that could change, especially now that she seems to have a bit of separation anxiety. We ordered some bitter apple spray on Amazon, so if chewing does become an issue, we can spray her crate. We got it to preemptively spray things in the house like baseboards, rugs, and cables. As for her breed, they swear she's a corgi, and H agrees, but I really don't see it. I agree with you-- I see a lot of Jack Russell in her. 

• Options
    untouchabletsuntouchablets member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    @eilis1228 sometimes it can take a few weeks for a new dog to settle in and relax. The separation anxiety will probably subside as she gets used to being alone. Just don't make a big deal when you come home and when you leave. I don't see ANY corgi in her, and I used to show them competitively lol.
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 Some friends of ours did that with their dog too, and it works really well. We're still trying to get her to understand that the door = outside = bathroom, but I'll definitely start researching how to implement the bell. A lot of what we've read has emphasized using the crate heavily for the first month or so since she's not mature enough to hold her bladder outside of the crate yet. Basically if we can't watch her like a hawk, we need to crate her. We can't punish her unless we catch her in the act, and the only way to do that is to watch her very closely. We learned the hard way how true that was yesterday when we she disappeared for a few minutes... we assumed she was going into her crate like she normally did, but when I checked on her she was chewing a toy near her crate and had pooped in the corner of the room. Totally my fault!

@untouchablets I'm glad I'm not crazy! All of the rescue workers and H were adamant about her being mostly corgi, and I seriously do not see it. I actually found her on Petfinder because I was looking for corgi puppies, and she was categorized as one. I quickly realized she wasn't a corgi, but I fell in love with her anyway. 

• Options
    @eilis1228, she's adorable!
  • Options
    Zoey is freaking adorable! More pics! More pics!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    Zoe is so adorable!! 

I love that you're getting to know her more and more each day. She sounds like she'll be a right little lady when she's grown up! 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    jenjen047jenjen047 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    GAHH she is too adorable!!!
  • Options
    She's definitely the cutest. Here she is the other day getting ready to take a nap after I ran her around the dog park:

That white thing you see is one of H's shirts. She rearranged her crate so that she could smell him while she dozed. <3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards