Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Bluegrass Wedding - Ceremony Music Ideas

We're considering hiring a really talented bluegrass band for our reception, and they've offered to play at our (outdoorsy, rustic) ceremony as well. Has anyone out there had either a mandolin + guitar combo or fiddle play the ceremony music? Any opinions on which is better? If so, any suggestions on specific songs (folksy versions of popular wedding songs, classical, or otherwise). Thank you!

Re: Bluegrass Wedding - Ceremony Music Ideas

• I would absolutely ask your musicians for ideas and suggestions.  The fact that you have already hired them, and consider them talented, you will trust their opinions and experience.  Share your musical tastes, and let them suggest some ideas!   Sounds fun :-)

• Well I play the violin so I'm biased to thinking the fiddle is the best route, I mean like one song says "If you're gonna play in Texas you gotta have a fiddle in the band"... 

Do most of your guests like bluegrass music? To me bluegrass is a style that people either really love or hate. It's a know your crowd thing. There would have been like 5 people at our wedding who like/appreciate bluegrass and at least half would be miserable. To me that's the advantage of having a DJ, we played many different types of music so at some point everyone made it up to the dance floor! Before our wedding my now husband I went to a wedding with a band that only played one genre of music and it got old real fast, we left early. So if it were me I'd have them play for the ceremony and maybe part of the reception then have a DJ or even just an iPod for the rest. Unless you've got a lot of people who like bluegrass or maybe the band is a bit varied and can play a few other genres as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're having a bluegrass band! They are playing at cocktail hour and opening a jam session after supper where our family and friends are invited to play along. (If you've ever been to a bluegrass festival you know exactly what I'm talking about haha.) They'll do that for about an hour then bow out and guests can keep going. 

That will be away from the tented area. At the tent, we'll have a playlist of regular stuff going, not super party-type clubby music, but fun and danceable. (I don't expect many folks to dance but it's up to them!)

For your ceremony... I play violin too so I obviously vote fiddle! But as far as song choice, that's such a tough question because it's really sort of personal in a way that reception music isn't. And bluegrass is really more known for negative love songs haha, like murder and jealousy and stuff. We haven't finalized our ceremony music but we are thinking about "You Are My Flower" (Flatt & Scruggs) for the bridal party processional and "Hard Times" (Ralph Stanley) for the recessional, which is a fast-paced tune major/minor progression. I know I am no use, lol. Sorry! But I love the idea and think you should run with it. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    If you have a violinist, the Ashokin Farewell is popular at weddings.
    Hymn tunes:  Morning has Broken, The Gift of Love (O, Waly, Waly), Spirit Song, Hymn of Promise.
    Traditional tunes:  The Ash Grove, Greensleeves.

Many protestant churches have Praise Bands that can give you more suggestions.  Much of the modern praise music can be adapted to bluegrass.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    If you have a violinist, the Ashokin Farewell is popular at weddings.
    Hymn tunes:  Morning has Broken, The Gift of Love (O, Waly, Waly), Spirit Song, Hymn of Promise.
    Traditional tunes:  The Ash Grove, Greensleeves.

Many protestant churches have Praise Bands that can give you more suggestions.  Much of the modern praise music can be adapted to bluegrass.

I was going to suggest Ashokan Farewell but I always think of it as sad, even as a mourning song. Same reason I didn't suggest Sweet Afton. So many beautiful, sad bluegrass songs!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    They are not sad songs.  In the past 200 years, western people have become used to hearing songs in the major mode.  This was not so in earlier times when many of these songs were written.  What sounds sad to you is simply the sound of a different mode.  Most old English, Irish and Scottish folk songs were written in the Dorian or Ionian modes, which resemble the minor mode, but are different.

The Ashoken Farewell was written in modern times for the Ken Burns mini-series, The Civil War.  It has no lyrics.  It is a waltz.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    They are not sad songs.  In the past 200 years, western people have become used to hearing songs in the major mode.  This was not so in earlier times when many of these songs were written.  What sounds sad to you is simply the sound of a different mode.  Most old English, Irish and Scottish folk songs were written in the Dorian or Ionian modes, which resemble the minor mode, but are different.

The Ashoken Farewell was written in modern times for the Ken Burns mini-series, The Civil War.  It has no lyrics.  It is a waltz.
    Actually, Ashokan Farewell was not written for that documentary although it's forever associated with the Civil War because of it (most people think it was written during the Civil War). According to Wiki, it was written by Jay Unger as the closing song for the Ashokan music and dance camp. He said it was about having a "sense of loss and longing," and it was written in the style of a Scottish lament, so I don't think I'm imagining that it's a sad, plaintive melody. Very beautiful but I wouldn't want it played at my wedding personally!

And Sweet Afton is a sad song because it's a poem about the death of the writer's lover. But again, it's still beautiful! I like Nickel Creek's version best.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards