Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Salon forgetting to charge for service

13»

Re: Salon forgetting to charge for service

• Options
    So i got married last week, the salon owner forgot to charge me for my nails and only charged me for my hair.  She called me on Tuesday and informed me of this by voice mail this week.  It's really been stressing me out trying to figure out what to do?  she received a 30 percent tip last week on what she did charge me last week, which is the same as what she didn't charge me and the salon is about 15 miles from where I live in a direction I rarely go...  I need advice on a good way to handle this?
    Ok. I'll just say this. 

I could understand where everyone here is coming from. On your end it does look bad if you're on the outside looking in at the situation. You go to a place you have never been before so you really don't/won't know their prices or services. But before I agree and even sit down I get a clean and clear understanding of each item and its price. So when she said your total is $58 , you then should have said well how much were the nails and how much was the hair. That would have caught the error. 

I can also see where you are coming from. If it was my salon and someone did tip me well over the standard tip amount I more than likely would have cut my loses because at the time I should have been more knowledgeable of the price when I gave it. So yes, it is her error and yes she should own it. Would I have called and said to pay me more, more than likely not. But not everyone is the same.

Morally , paying her is the better way to go, but when you go or before you pay get an understanding of how much each service was and just pay the difference from the $58.  
  • Options
    abl13 said:

OP I feel you. If they didn't break out the services on the bill then how do you know they aren't trying to scam you right now?

I just switched hair salons. I am accustomed to paying over $150 to get my hair cut and highlighted. I went to a different salon and they charged me $60. I was ecstatic and gave the girl a huge tip (over 30%). However I never received a bill that broke out all of the services. If they subsequently called me and asked for more money because of their mistake I would not have paid it. IMO your salon needs to chalk this up to a mistake and change their processes going forward.

Because they verbally agreed on a price before hand and the bill she received and paid was only $58.00 and not the total amount she was told and expected to pay.
    Exactly. OP didn't say 'I had no idea how much it would cost' she said 'We agreed upon a price beforehand, then the bill was lower, and I didn't say anything about it, and its 15 miles away, and I don't often use my credit card, and I left a big tip that magically equals the amount of the service I didn't pay for (and tip was larger *because* she thought she was getting a great deal), and...

It's not the same as you going to a new salon and paying less than your old salon. It's knowing your bill should be $150, only seeing $100, not saying anything and then getting 'stressed' (over $17!!!) whether or not you *have* to pay it.
  • Options
    So i got married last week, the salon owner forgot to charge me for my nails and only charged me for my hair.  She called me on Tuesday and informed me of this by voice mail this week.  It's really been stressing me out trying to figure out what to do?  she received a 30 percent tip last week on what she did charge me last week, which is the same as what she didn't charge me and the salon is about 15 miles from where I live in a direction I rarely go...  I need advice on a good way to handle this?
    Ok. I'll just say this. 

I could understand where everyone here is coming from. On your end it does look bad if you're on the outside looking in at the situation. You go to a place you have never been before so you really don't/won't know their prices or services. But before I agree and even sit down I get a clean and clear understanding of each item and its price. So when she said your total is $58 , you then should have said well how much were the nails and how much was the hair. That would have caught the error. 

I can also see where you are coming from. If it was my salon and someone did tip me well over the standard tip amount I more than likely would have cut my loses because at the time I should have been more knowledgeable of the price when I gave it. So yes, it is her error and yes she should own it. Would I have called and said to pay me more, more than likely not. But not everyone is the same.

Morally , paying her is the better way to go, but when you go or before you pay get an understanding of how much each service was and just pay the difference from the $58.  
    For Christs sake - she had a quote and knew the $58.00 was less than her quote and didn't ask.  She knew how much she should have been charged, was undercharged, and just assumed it's because they either interns or being nice but never asked because she hoped to get away with paying the lessor amount.

LS;DR - OP Got a quote, on day of services was billed less than the quote; paid the lessor amount.  3-4 days later the provider realized the error and asked the OP to pay the difference due to a mistake in billing.
  • Options
    Ok. I'll just say this. 

For Christs sake - she had a quote and knew the $58.00 was less than her quote and didn't ask.  She knew how much she should have been charged, was undercharged, and just assumed it's because they either interns or being nice but never asked because she hoped to get away with paying the lessor amount.

LS;DR - OP Got a quote, on day of services was billed less than the quote; paid the lessor amount.  3-4 days later the provider realized the error and asked the OP to pay the difference due to a mistake in billing.

That's why I said the following sentence !
  • Options
    Me personally,

I would go ahead and suck it up and pay it THIS TIME! The next time do your part and really get details because the mistake is definitely on both of your parts.

You for not asking for more information and her for not paying more attention to what she was doing. 
  • Options
    As I said they were paid the balance.  

I work for event production where I actually get under paid all the time, even when I have print contract, and haven't been paid at all on several day contracts.  I was questioning how much to pay them not weather to pay them, how to pay them, and weather reviews or other things were in order.

I didn't really have any other questions before now because i was in waters where i was well trained.  

Contract logic doesn't actually work either because the final price with both didn't match what she said she thought it would be either.

I know if I know if i forget a service on a bill, I can't call my client and ask it to 
    be fixed.  I eat the cost often. 
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015

I know if I know if i forget a service on a bill, I can't call my client and ask it to 
    And doesn't that suck not getting the money you earned because of a mistake?
    Luckily in this case the gal at the salon can get the money she earned if people do the right thing.
  • Options
    As I said they were paid the balance.  

I work for event production where I actually get under paid all the time, even when I have print contract, and haven't been paid at all on several day contracts.  I was questioning how much to pay them not weather to pay them, how to pay them, and weather reviews or other things were in order.

I didn't really have any other questions before now because i was in waters where i was well trained.  

Contract logic doesn't actually work either because the final price with both didn't match what she said she thought it would be either.

If you are continuously being underpaid with written quotes and contacts, then YOU are running your business poorly. I work as a bookkeeper and part of my job is collections, you bet your ass I collect on remainders of quotations. Just because you don't go after clients when mistakes are made and you can afford to write off mistakes, doesn't mean all businesses can.

AMEN!!!!! 
  • Options
    I think the shady one is the salon owner.  She should have chalked it up to her own mistake. 
  • Options
    Just pay the girl, is it really worth feeling bad for the sake of a few dollars?? I think it's your fault you decided to tip extra on the bill because it was strangely low. That's on you.

On an aside, I was once contacted by email a YEAR later by a travel agent who mis-charged me losing her agency almost £1000. I honestly had not noticed as they were taking the money in instalments direct from my account. Some bitchy 'friend' of mine said I shouldn't pay as it was her mistake. However I did pay within 24 hours, as it was a months wages for the girl in the office and what sort of person would I be, she might have lost her job.

Seriously OP, this is like $20-30???
  • Options
    There was no written contract and she told me when she booked the appointments that she would see who should could get but she wasn't sure who it would be. I thought the price she gave was for a regular and maybe she had an intern that day, also the payment ran through to the owner and not the salon so i'm  a little worried that the girl who did the nails won't see any of the tip.

And they waited to call me till quite a few days latter which led to a lot of stress do to changes in employment status, with in that time.  I also tried fairly hard to make sure everyone got paid before I signed up for school cause I needed to know how much I had for classes, when you make minimum wage to sometimes are a little close on accounts then you'd like to be.  

Shes not a business I've ever used before, if she's been some one I knew well I would have just asked to pay her the next time I was in.  Also,  when I offered to mail them a check, I don't really use my credit card, they blamed it on being super busy, the were only 3 customers the entire time I was there, if your gonna ask me to correct you mistake at least own it. Finally they complained about me sending them the check not coming out and paying for the gas to get there, even though under state law i could have told them they were owed no more.  I was trying to make it right for them.

That's a verbal contract, and it's binding. She gave you a price and you agreed to pay. So yes, you are legally obliged to pay for what you received as well as morally.

It's shameful that the number of morally bankrupt people has gotten to the point that the law is even a question here. 
    And how many times have we seen A user on this forum say "I had a verbal contract with my vendor and they changed things!" Virtually EVERY user responds with "you should have gotten a written contract! Now you know better." The salon owner should have gotten a written contract. Now she will know better,
    You missed the point. A verbal contract is a binding contract. 

Yes, it is wise to get a written contract because then you hash out all the details in more specificity and you can avoid misunderstandings. But this verbal contract included all the necessary details: OP agreed to pay X for hair and nails, salon provided hair and nails. That's legally enforceable in all 50 states. 

If the issue was that OP thought the cost of nails included gel polish, but the salon quoted a price for a regular manicure, and now the salon was asking for the extra cost of gel, a written contract would have probably avoided the issue. That's not what happened here.  A written contract would make no difference here, and is not any more enforceable than a verbal contract. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards