Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Mom Wants to Host Bridal Shower

tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited December 2015 in Pre-wedding Parties
Hello all,

Any advice about how to handle a bridal shower in this situation would be very helpful.

My fiance and I met in graduate school, and live in and will be married in a college town in Indiana this summer. Besides the two of us, though, nearly all the rest of our guests will need to travel. My parents live in Ohio, about 4 hours east of us. My fiance's parent's live about 8 hours west of us in Missouri. All but one of my bridesmaids live even farther away (MOH is in San Francisco, others in DC, Rhode Island, Florida -- only one is in Ohio, about 3 hours away).  Several of my BMs and I are still graduate students, living off loans or on very limited budgets. I am very honored just to have them coming to the wedding, and would not expect them to plan a bridal shower. I plan on having the bachelorette party two days before the wedding so they can all travel just once (and it just so happens to be my birthday, so it seems a good excuse to have a girls' night). 

Since my fiance and I are having the wedding in Indiana, we are having a small wedding, with only family and close friends attending. We are not expecting a lot of other "hometown" friends to make the trip. However, my mother would really like to host a small bridal shower for me in my old hometown Ohio with some of our friends who likely won't be able to attend the wedding. Is this okay? I feel rather weird about it since I think at best I might only be able to have one bridesmaid join me, and probably none of the women from the groom's family can make it, either. I know usually it is faux pas for mothers to host bridal parties, but I don't think this is so much about giving gifts (between my fiance and I who both have lived on our own, we have all the appliances we need). Mostly I think my mom just wants to throw a little party to have snacks and celebrate with some of the family friends. I'm happy to attend and touched that hometown friends have been so supportive, but I also don't want my bridesmaids or the groom's family to feel left-out. 

I know I cannot be the only bride-to-be in a situation like this. How have others handled the bridal shower issue with long-distance bridesmaids and separated hometowns between the groom and bride?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Mom Wants to Host Bridal Shower

• Options
    Hello all,

Any advice about how to handle a bridal shower in this situation would be very helpful.

My fiance and I met in graduate school, and live in and will be married in a college town in Indiana this summer. That should seem like no big deal, but I have come to realize that in some ways it is a destination wedding -- because besides the two of us, nearly all the rest of our guests will need to travel. My parents live in Ohio, about 4 hours east of us. My fiance's parent's live about 8 hours west of us in Missouri. All but one of my bridesmaids live even farther away (MOH is in San Francisco, others in DC, Rhode Island, Florida -- only one is in Ohio, about 3 hours away).  Several of my BMs and I are still graduate students, living off loans or on very limited budgets. I am very honored just to have them coming to the wedding, and would not expect them to plan a bridal shower. I plan on having the bachelorette party two days before the wedding so they can all travel just once (and it just so happens to be my birthday, so it seems a good excuse to have a girls' night). 

Since my fiance and I are having the wedding in Indiana, we are having a small wedding, with only family and close friends attending. We are not expecting a lot of other "hometown" friends to make the trip. However, my mother would really like to host a small bridal shower for me in my old hometown Ohio with some of our friends who likely won't be able to attend the wedding. Is this okay? I feel rather weird about it since I think at best I might only be able to have one bridesmaid join me, and probably none of the women from the groom's family can make it, either. I know usually it is faux pas for mothers to host bridal parties, but I don't think this is so much about giving gifts (between my fiance and I who both have lived on our own, we have all the appliances we need). Mostly I think my mom just wants to throw a little party to have snacks and celebrate with some of the family friends. I'm happy to attend and touched that hometown friends have been so supportive, but I also don't want my bridesmaids or the groom's family to feel left-out. 

I know I cannot be the only bride-to-be in a situation like this. How have others handled the bridal shower issue with long-distance bridesmaids and separated hometowns between the groom and bride?

You're right that it is considered incorrect for a mother to host a shower for her daughter. She can host a bridal tea or luncheon or general get together. But regardless of whether or not they will attend, every person invited to this party MUST be invited to the wedding itself.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Everybody she wants to invite to the party has been invited to the wedding. But I know several of them have already stated that they will not be able to make it to the wedding due to the distance, but would still like to celebrate with me in some way. Would it be better for my mother to see if one of them can host, even if they can't make it to the actual wedding?

• Options
    Everybody she wants to invite to the party has been invited to the wedding. But I know several of them have already stated that they will not be able to make it to the wedding due to the distance, but would still like to celebrate with me in some way. Would it be better for my mother to see if one of them can host, even if they can't make it to the actual wedding?
    Technically it's not appropriate for your mom to ask someone to host a party for you.  I've gone to several pre-wedding events where I knew I couldn't attend the wedding.  

Your mom can host a tea or some other casual social gathering where people can mingle and celebrate you.  If someone knows they won't be able to attend the wedding, they might bring a gift or something, but it should not specifically be a gift-giving event (which a shower is).
  • Options
    Thanks! I think I will counsel my mom to just call it a "tea party" or something like that, then, since that really is the gist of the idea, anyway. She and my dad had a extremely small (about 15 people) informal wedding in the 70s, so both she and I are learning about wedding-planning and etiquette together at the same time. When I initially told her I wanted to invite 150 people, she felt completely overwhelmed! But I think in reality only about 75 people will be attending. Which is fine by me. Figuring out the planning across multiples states has been a challenge, though. 

• Options
    MOH is planning the bachelorette party, not me. She talked dates with me, though, and we decided right before the wedding would be best since we'll all be in town together anyway. 

• Options
    Thanks! I think I will counsel my mom to just call it a "tea party" or something like that, then, since that really is the gist of the idea, anyway. She and my dad had a extremely small (about 15 people) informal wedding in the 70s, so both she and I are learning about wedding-planning and etiquette together at the same time. When I initially told her I wanted to invite 150 people, she felt completely overwhelmed! But I think in reality only about 75 people will be attending. Which is fine by me. Figuring out the planning across multiples states has been a challenge, though. 
    But you have to be able to host everyone you invite.  If you invite 150 people, you damn well better have a venue that fits 150 asses.  Otherwise you're going to be here crying three weeks before your wedding when all your RSVPs start coming in and people you were sure wouldn't attend have decided to make the trip and attend!!!  You're going to feel awful praying for declines!  That's gotta be a terrible feeling to hope that your good friends and loving family decline to attend your wedding.

So, make up a guest list.  Determine your budget (do not count on promised money until the cash is in your bank account.)  Then find a venue that fits both your budget and your guest list.  Then plan the rest.  Move the wedding to lunch rather than dinner if you want to spend less and invite more people.  Or brunch.  Or just cake and punch.
  • Options

MOH is planning the bachelorette party, not me. She talked dates with me, though, and we decided right before the wedding would be best since we'll all be in town together anyway. 
    Perfect.
  • Options
    That sounds good!  Are there hotel(s) near your venue?  Summer in a college town shouldn't be too busy, but you expect a fair number of out-of-town guests, you may want to see about reserving rooms in a block sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    But you have to be able to host everyone you invite.  If you invite 150 people, you damn well better have a venue that fits 150 asses.  Otherwise you're going to be here crying three weeks before your wedding when all your RSVPs start coming in and people you were sure wouldn't attend have decided to make the trip and attend!!!  You're going to feel awful praying for declines!  That's gotta be a terrible feeling to hope that your good friends and loving family decline to attend your wedding.

Fear not, I have the guest list made and have also made sure we have the space and funds in case everybody does actually attend (venue holds 200 people). I would personally love to have everybody make it, but I am also understanding if the travel deters some friends and relatives. 

• Options

Fear not, I have the guest list made and have also made sure we have the space and funds in case everybody does actually attend (venue holds 200 people). I would personally love to have everybody make it, but I am also understanding if the travel deters some friends and relatives. 
    You sound very reasonable.  You should change your username to something a bit more unique so we can recognize you.  Feel free to keep asking questions.  We're here to help.
  • Options
    Thank you! I appreciate all the support! I am so glad I found this message board!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards