Wedding Etiquette Forum

SO RSVP without invitation

2»

Re: SO RSVP without invitation

• HeatherKatHeatherKat member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    Fat fingers on mobile. Nothing to see here.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015

AddieCake said:

Serious question: Dad remained married to stepmom for that whole 20 years, even though he sometimes lived with or was with my mom. How would you guys have handled an invitation to my Dad? Would you invite him with whichever between mom and stepmom he was with at the time, or would you insist on inviting him with my stepmom because they were married?
    I'd ask your dad who he is in a relationship with, like any other guest I wasn't sure about.

(A mistress to me is when one person is in a *relationship* with someone, but is involved in a second relationship with another while the primary doesn't know, or isn't accepting of it). 

• My ex was similar to SP29. His wife cheated (but let's not ignore the fact that he pushed her out of his life and replaced her with their son prior to that) and now lives with her bf.

They currently have an open schedule that fluctuates each week. Financially theyre split except for some random phone and Internet bill (phone because they're lazy, Internet because it's equal cost). They have never legally filed because they don't want the state to enforce parenting time and child support.

As his girlfriend, I wasn't happy with their situation but as a person/friend I understand. When two people are okay with their situation it's bullshit that the state can mandate otherwise.

But I also think it's bullshit that cheating is the end all be all of vow breakers, when there are probably a dozen other vows that in most cases were violated first (as in the example with my ex. Why is she the bad guy when he completely ignored her physically and emotionally for years?)
  • VicTim328 said:
    So I'm not sure how to handle my uncle. Invitations are going out in a week.

He is in the process of divorcing his current wife (auntie #6), who lives on a different continent and does not have permission to re-enter the US based on her visa status.  Given the marital status, I didn't give him a guest.

He is coming to our wedding with his daughter and 3 grandkids.  Somehow he just RSVP'd on our website (didn't know it was active) for everyone and then for a date for himself.  It's a former FI of his from 20+ years ago, who lives on the opposite coast.  Not wanting to break etiquette, I called another uncle to just ask if he was "seeing" this other woman again, and he said no, but he would double check.  Uncle 2 got back to me and said he hasn't seen or talked to her, but saw on FB that she just got divorced again.  typically she is his rebound fling in between marriages (basically, she is leap day, comes around for one day every 4 years), but he hasn't considered her anything since the engagement broke.  So technically not a social unit for over 20 years.

How should I handle this? I didn't give him a date in my initial count, and my invites are stuffed and labeled.

I'm irritated that he assumed he had a date, and somehow RSVP'd without an invitation. If it was an actual relationship, I'd invite her, but there hasn't even been contact between the two of them since her divorce! 

If it happened naturally, and at Christmas he said "Oh, Linda and I are seeing each other again!" I'd be fine and say "bring her." I think I'm just annoyed....
    It sounds as though you are in the clear to explain to him that his invite does not include a +1, if it looks as though that is all she is. Or if you have the extra room, you could allow him to bring her since it appears that she could end up (even temporarily) being a SO in the near future.

Also, coming from a family of "repeat offenders" (my Father married and divorced his second wife twice) I understand the dilemma. You never know how long they'll be around this time, or when they'll be back down the road.
  • I dated someone with parents who were separated but not divorced. Mom and dad each moved on and dad dated anyone he wanted (including but not only the mistress). Because of dad's bad financial decisions, it made far more sense for them to remain married but live separately. They were no more married thanow any two single people.
  • 1)  This is why I gave pretty much all my singles a plus one (the only ones were a few aunts who have a history of not wanting one anyway).    I didn't give a shit who they brought.     Friend, lover, companion I didn't care.   And seriously after all these types of questions I'm glad I didn't care.   One less thing to stress over.   

2)  My MIL was going to bring her married companion of 20+ years (a companion who was nicer to MIL, DH and his siblings than MIL's 2 other husbands combined).   He couldn't make it, but has attend many family weddings and events in the past.    Him and his wife had an understanding.  They lived in separate parts of a duplex, lived their lives mostly separate, but never got divorced. 

Spencer Tracey was married, but had a similar situation with Kathryn Hepburn. Warren Buffett and his now-deceased wife never got divorced, but he had a long-time GF (who he married after his wife died.)  And let's face it, does anyone really think Hilary and Bill do not have some sort of arrangement themselves?

I don't get the lifestyle. I wouldn't be able to handle such an agreement or understanding, if you will, but I'm not one to judge either. It works for them and that is all that matters in my opinion.    

I give the person I'm closest to the invite with a +one and let them figure out who they want to bring.  Cost wise it doesn't matter who's butt is in the seat.    

Again, one less thing to stress over.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @SP29 fwiw, I never believed your parent's SO were mistress/mister, that was a separate example. I learned a lot about Canadian tax law today, it's very different from US tax law. I'm sorry I suggested it was fraud, you opened my eyes to a reason I would never have considered - that's messed up that the courts could change an agreed upon custody arrangement when neither party is requesting the change. I own the fact that I'm judging a situation I know nothing about and then issuing a hypothetical invitation at that. Which is why I would either not associate with people doing it, or I would ask so I could understand the reason behind it and make an informed decision. I also own that I am a curious (prying) person who asks a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them and opening my eyes to a possibility I never would have imagined, even though you didn't owe me any explanation. Cheers!
    That's not just in Canada. In the US, most states require that a custody/child support arrangement be approved by the Judge before the divorce can be granted. 

In the majority of cases, the court will sign off on a custody schedule unless it is glaringly not in the child's best interest, but child support is a different story. Most states are moving to more quantifiable schedules for support because of complaints about arbitrary and inconsistent awards. Sometimes, that means the Court can't sign off on something, even if both parents agree to it. It's complicated, and I can see why some parents choose to wait until the children turn 18 to divorce.

IMO, married but separated is a status. It may not mean much legally, but neither does single but engaged or single in a relationship. There's still a social difference. 
  • VicTim328 said:

Update:

Website no longer has RSVP active.  Uncle came over for Christmas.  I mentioned I saw his RSVP, and apologized about it being available online, as we are not giving guests the option and will need his meal selection.  I brought up the fact that I saw that he had RSVP'd for "Lisa," and didn't realize they were seeing each other.  They aren't.  He wanted to bring a date.  I explained that we were not able to accommodate her, but that we would still have a fun time.

Glad to hear it worked out!
  • @SP29 fwiw, I never believed your parent's SO were mistress/mister, that was a separate example. I learned a lot about Canadian tax law today, it's very different from US tax law. I'm sorry I suggested it was fraud, you opened my eyes to a reason I would never have considered - that's messed up that the courts could change an agreed upon custody arrangement when neither party is requesting the change. I own the fact that I'm judging a situation I know nothing about and then issuing a hypothetical invitation at that. Which is why I would either not associate with people doing it, or I would ask so I could understand the reason behind it and make an informed decision. I also own that I am a curious (prying) person who asks a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them and opening my eyes to a possibility I never would have imagined, even though you didn't owe me any explanation. Cheers!
    That's not just in Canada. In the US, most states require that a custody/child support arrangement be approved by the Judge before the divorce can be granted. 

In the majority of cases, the court will sign off on a custody schedule unless it is glaringly not in the child's best interest, but child support is a different story. Most states are moving to more quantifiable schedules for support because of complaints about arbitrary and inconsistent awards. Sometimes, that means the Court can't sign off on something, even if both parents agree to it. It's complicated, and I can see why some parents choose to wait until the children turn 18 to divorce.

IMO, married but separated is a status. It may not mean much legally, but neither does single but engaged or single in a relationship. There's still a social difference. 
    In Michigan, you also have to have a written parenting time agreement, so in my exes case their divorce would never be granted because they change parenting time on a weekly basis.  And yes, child support is always mandatory, even when both parties decline it.

There's even a case where a woman was impregnated by her new boyfriend during the separation and the now divorced father is legally the parent and responsible for child support, even though DNA tests prove it's not his child.  I believe the courts have good intentions when it comes to custody matters but legislators have taken the laws too far (you don't say LOL).

• There's even a case where a woman was impregnated by her new boyfriend during the separation and the now divorced father is legally the parent and responsible for child support, even though DNA tests prove it's not his child.  I believe the courts have good intentions when it comes to custody matters but legislators have taken the laws too far (you don't say LOL).
    That's crazy!

I have a friend who married (at least I think they were married... either way, long term relationship, had 2 children together) a woman who had a child from a previous relationship. That child's father was not paying child support. Thus my friend helped raise her for those few years (he did not adopt her). When friend and his wife divorced, even though he no longer is involved in her child's life (he has shared custody of his 2 children, but not her first), he still has to pay child support for her child because he raised her for those few years. 

• @SP29 fwiw, I never believed your parent's SO were mistress/mister, that was a separate example. I learned a lot about Canadian tax law today, it's very different from US tax law. I'm sorry I suggested it was fraud, you opened my eyes to a reason I would never have considered - that's messed up that the courts could change an agreed upon custody arrangement when neither party is requesting the change.

I own the fact that I'm judging a situation I know nothing about and then issuing a hypothetical invitation at that. Which is why I would either not associate with people doing it, or I would ask so I could understand the reason behind it and make an informed decision. I also own that I am a curious (prying) person who asks a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them and opening my eyes to a possibility I never would have imagined, even though you didn't owe me any explanation. Cheers!

In Michigan, you also have to have a written parenting time agreement, so in my exes case their divorce would never be granted because they change parenting time on a weekly basis.  And yes, child support is always mandatory, even when both parties decline it.

There's even a case where a woman was impregnated by her new boyfriend during the separation and the now divorced father is legally the parent and responsible for child support, even though DNA tests prove it's not his child.  I believe the courts have good intentions when it comes to custody matters but legislators have taken the laws too far (you don't say LOL).

In more than one state there is a legal presumption that a woman's husband is the father of any children she conceives while married. I think the it comes from a not unreasonable place- it protected women from abusive and invasive attack in the days before DNA testing was readily available- but it's something that has a lot of potential to go wrong. And is also a good reason to talk to a family lawyer if you are splitting up a legal relayionship without formally dissolving it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards