Chit Chat

Who is working Christmas Eve?

Me.  Which is going to be really unproductive considering it's too late to even online Christmas shop! I guess personal online shopping it is.

So jealous of those who get it off or took it off!

Re: Who is working Christmas Eve?

• We are closed Thursday and Friday. We also get a week of "gift PTO" which means 1/2 the people get off this week and 1/2 are off next week. Those of us taking next week have it best though, because it comes out to 11 days off including the weekend. I'm so happy.
  • I'm working. My company is primarily finance/investing so if the stock market's open, we're open even though my department has nothing to do with the market (I work in employee insurance benefits). The market closes at 1, so at least it's only a half day but I'm literally the only person on my team that will be here - everyone else took it off because they have children or are traveling. It's going to be a morning full of Netflix and cleaning my office.
  • ha!  last year i was the only one in the office on Christmas Eve and I watched netflix all day too!  And took an extra long lunch with my family.  Good times.

• Unfortunately I am. We are closing at 1. Banks can't be closed for more than 3 days in a row, so even though we will be completely dead we will be open. I'm thankful to get a half day off at least!

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015

And get this...   TWO jobs.

Technically I could take off my main job, but I do not get paid PTO.   With Xmas being on a Friday and I'm off weekends, I feel like I should work some on Xmas Eve (also my boss is OOT and returns on Xmas day).    I've worked extra all week to make-up for taking a half day.

Then tomorrow night I'm working at the club.   250+ people for Christmas Eve dinner.     It's really crazy.   Good news it the members are pretty nice and do not linger around all fucking night.   Seating is from 5-8.  Most people come between 6-7:30.  Majority of people are gone by 9.   We should get out around 11-12.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm working as well tomorrow.  I always bring in a homemade breakfast item in my crock pot for everyone in my department.  We get to leave at noon.  They also have caroling throughout the building, with volunteers from our office.  Its usually a day of do nothing but chat with your co-workers counting down the hours until noon.
  • I am -- they have optional holiday groups where you can pick one from each group but I took the day after Tgiving so I'm working Xmas eve. Might get to leave early but I'm torn on that. If I do leave early, it means I get to go with H on the Costco run from doom. Costco on Xmas eve ... I can't even ... I'm too horrified to even think about it. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • I'm not working, but H is... Part of me wishes I was working so I could take a different day off (when H is also off), but it's too late for that. Plus, we have family getting in to town tonight, so I guess it's for the best.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm off for 2 weeks. I have a lot of papers and projects to grade, but am giving myself until after Christmas to do any work so that I can feel like I did have a vacation. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @OliveOilsMom Tell me more about "Breakfast items in a crockpot"...

• OliveOilsMom Tell me more about "Breakfast items in a crockpot"...

There are few different recipes that you can use to make breakfast items in a crockpot!  But I make a French toast casserole type thing.  It's delicious!  I buy the fancy flavored pepperage farm breads to make with it as well!
  • I am, but not in my office. I'm presenting research at a conference the first week of January so I need to have the paper out to the panel by Monday. At least my working involve yoga pants and my dog.
  • Me. Boss required a warm body in our division...I was the last to ask off, so it's me.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We have a half day on Christmas Eve. We are off on Monday because Boxing Day is on a Saturday this year and we have a half day on New Year's Eve too. So  in two weeks I'll have worked 5 whole days. And by worked, I mean last minute internet shopped. 
  • ah yes, Boxing Day.  When we moved to the states, we tried to make it a "thing" by having Boxing Day parties for all our American friends.  I guess we don't know enough people, because it never caught on.  You'd think 10 people could spread the word and make a difference.

The U.S. needs Boxing Day off too.

• ah yes, Boxing Day.  When we moved to the states, we tried to make it a "thing" by having Boxing Day parties for all our American friends.  I guess we don't know enough people, because it never caught on.  You'd think 10 people could spread the word and make a difference.

I remember when everything was actually closed up here on Boxing Day and my friends used to go to Buffalo to go after Christmas shopping. 

I love Boxing Day parties! We do one with my stepmom and her family every year. 

I remember when everything was actually closed up here on Boxing Day and my friends used to go to Buffalo to go after Christmas shopping. 

What is this Boxing Day you speak of?? and what are its parties like? inform me!!

• The President have us half a day off and I took annual leave for today and the other half of tomorrow.  I only have to work a day and a half next week.
  • I work both Christmas Eve and Christmas day, perks of working in a hospital I guess. At least I won't be the only one there and I get overtime pay for Christmas day. It will excruciatingly slow, has been for most of the week. What's worse is out office doesn't have Wifi so I can't watch Netflix and I only frequent a few websites that aren't blocked (like the knot) and I know they will also be dead. 
  • ericasm0703ericasm0703 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    Today's my normal shift, but I'm only working the night half since I covered for someone a while ago. I have to stay until 12 tomorrow afternoon though for training.

ETA: hit reply too soon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    This sums it up quite nicely, although I have never heard of the church alms boxes story.....
    http://www.factmonster.com/spot/boxingday1.html

Nothing special for the parties, but when I lived in Canada it was a day of friends getting together since Christmas Day was usually family.  Growing up EVERYTHING was closed like @TrixieJess has said.  Now, I think it's a BIG shopping day for Canadians (think American Black Friday).

What is this Boxing Day you speak of?? and what are its parties like? inform me!!
    Boxing Day is the day after Christmas, it's usually just a day to get together with people and eat and drink copious amounts of food and drink. It's a statutory holiday up here so we get the day off.
  • I work Christmas Eve night and Christmas night (plus this is my weekend at work so I work Saturday and Sunday, too). And then since Christmas is my holiday this year I work Tuesday and Wednesday nights (normally I work Wednesday and Thursday after my weekend but since NYE is Thursday I couldn't be scheduled that night) so I only get one day "off". I work 12 hour night shifts so my day off will be spent sleeping after working four nights in a row meaning it will be a completely wasted day. Oh, the joys of being a nurse...
  • FH and stepfather both are working.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I am, but luckily and early close.  And of course clients are emailing me "Are you in tomorrow? And until what time?" BLEH

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas, it's usually just a day to get together with people and eat and drink copious amounts of food and drink. It's a statutory holiday up here so we get the day off.

Do you get both Christmas Day and Boxing Day as holidays? I was always intrigued by Boxing Day.
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    arrippa said:
    ah yes, Boxing Day.  When we moved to the states, we tried to make it a "thing" by having Boxing Day parties for all our American friends.  I guess we don't know enough people, because it never caught on.  You'd think 10 people could spread the word and make a difference.

Do you get both Christmas Day and Boxing Day as holidays? I was always intrigued by Boxing Day.
    Yep, and New Year's day. It's a great two weeks. Most places I work at usually give a half day on Christmas and New Year's eve too.

ETA: Keep in mind that they are Stat holidays so you have to get paid whether you work on them or not. If you do work a holiday, you get time and a half.
  • I am. But it'll be a short and not very productive day. Same with Saturday. I work an odd shift (Sun-Mon off) so I'm working Saturday. I have stories lined up (I'm a reporter) for next week, so it's basically writing them up and leaving early both days. I work Saturdays to cover events, but being the day after Christmas, there's nothing going on.
  • I'm at work right now (shh).  But that's how nursing is, I got Thanksgiving off so I work Christmas.  I wish I didn't work both Christmas Eve and day, though.

People keep bringing in yummy snacks, so it's not all bad.  Man, I love peppermint patties.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards