Chit Chat

What's for Christmas Dinner?

edited December 2015 in Chit Chat
My mom and brother are coming over to have dinner with DH and I tonight, so I bought a huge brown sugar glazed ham this week. We're also having macaroni and cheese and this green bean dish that I make that has corn, bacon, and onions in it. So. Good. OH, and champagne.

Tomorrow, we'll be following our tradition of having sausage balls and dump cake for breakfast, and then snacking throughout the day on leftovers.

What's for dinner/lunch/breakfast/whatever at your house?

ETA words

Re: What's for Christmas Dinner?

• I'm working tonight.  So dinner will be what ever DH decides to cook for the staff. 

Tomorrow we are having some of his sous chefs/cooks over.  Main proteins will be leftovers from Xmas dinner tonight at the club.   Filet of beef, turkey, shrimp not sure what else.  The joys of having a chef husband and working at a club that allows him to take food home.  

One of the guys offered bringing sides (which I wouldn't be surprised is leftovers from the club too).  Another offered to bring desert. 

I'm making my Ritz cracker-Parmesan chicken bites.  DH is making homemade pizza dough and cooking it on the grill with his new pizza stone i got him.   Plus some other snacks.

Basically it's lot of random foods.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Steak tonight with my side of the family, lobster tomorrow with H and my sister and future BIL, and prime rib with Hs family on Saturday. And wine, lots and lots of wine (especially with my family).

This is the time of year we go all out with food and drinks and I love every minute of it!
  • Tonight I am cooking for the ILs, we are having standing rib roast, carrots, and oven roasted mini colored potatoes.  Tomorrow, H & I are staying home and bought snacky items to make.  We will start the day with homemade cinnamon donuts that we make. 

Then on Saturday, I will have my family and H's family over for our "Christmas Eve Celebration".  We used to do the 7 fishes on Christmas Eve, as tradition in my dad's family.  It has now transformed into a party either before or after Christmas. 

• We are doing burgers prior to going to see the new Star Wars movie which I am totally geeked about.  Our "family" Christmas isn't until the 2nd with all of our kids and grandkids (except our Utah DD).
  • I forgot.  I got DH waffle plates for our griddler.    Breakfast better be waffles tomorrow.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I forgot.  I got DH waffle plates for our griddler.    Breakfast better be waffles tomorrow.
    What kind of griddler do you have?  I just got a kitchenaid panini/griddler thingy.  It doesn't come with waffle plates but I have a kitchenaid double waffle maker (because DH is a waffle monster).
  • kmmssg said:
    lyndausvi said:
    I forgot.  I got DH waffle plates for our griddler.    Breakfast better be waffles tomorrow.
    What kind of griddler do you have?  I just got a kitchenaid panini/griddler thingy.  It doesn't come with waffle plates but I have a kitchenaid double waffle maker (because DH is a waffle monster).
    Cuisinart.  +Cuisinart® Griddler

DH asked for a Belgium waffle maker because ours waffle maker makes really sad, little waffles.   While looking I found that there are Belgium waffle plates fro the Cuisinart.  SCORE.  Plates are easier to store than another machine. 

• Christmas Day dinner is still TBD (we will be at my parents' house).

Dinner on the 26 th at my parents is already planned .... enchiladas, beans, salad ... yummy Mexican food!
  • tonight is with my family. . . . Prime rib, some tasty veggies and mashed potatoes followed by all the desserts.  Mom made coconut creme pie and banana pudding.  I made a butterscotch brownie trifle.

Tomorrow, MIL is coming over to our house.  DH will make some eggs and hash for breakfast, possibly crepes or something else.  By mid afternoon, we'll have lasagna that MIL is bringing and flan for dessert. 

I wish I could have wine at these meals as per normal. . . but with 5 weeks or so until the little guy gets here, i'll just taste a little sip of DH's here or there.
  • Chips and homemade taco dip tonight for dinner and then ham with a couple simple sides for dinner tomorrow and pumpkin spice cake for dessert.  It's just the two of us, and my husband is not a huge fan of leftovers, so just getting rid of the ham will be difficult over the next couple days. If I make much more than that, it will all go to waste. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Tonight, we're doing sea urchin as an appetizer and then my boyfriend is making duck breast and liver for dinner! I haven't had duck in forever. I'm very excited about it. We're pairing it with asparagus, an arugula salad and shoestring french fries. Tomorrow night is being hosted by his family so I'm not sure what they're making.

• Tonight is lasagna, salad, and garlic bread at my in laws. Tomorrow is smoked turkey and sides with my dad's family. We already celebrated with my mom's side where we always do sandwiches and snacky items.
  • Tonight I'm hosting and we're having rolls with ham and BBQ pulled pork, meatballs, veggie tray and chips with dip, plus pecan pie with ice cream and m&m cookies. Mint tea and mulled cider to drink. Tomorrow, we go to my FIL's house and my FMIL usually makes sausage balls plus whatever leftovers of the night before, so I'll take the extra ham and meatballs over there.

The setup tonight - we don't have a sideboard yet so I put four tray tables (like for TV dinners) together and bought a $5 tablecloth from Wally World. Now that's redneck ingenuity! ;) Also the other things on the table are Christmas crackers! Decided to start a new tradition this year. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited December 2015
    Ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, and apple pie.  It's just the two of us and the cat.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Pot of chili and a pot of potato soup. A veggie tray and some random fruit. Mom and I started the tradition years ago of tossing two soups in crockpots and everyone grazing throughout the day because we both hate being stuck in the kitchen all day and getting two teenage boys to sit down for dinner isn't easy. 
  • Tonight is wine. Tomorrow is ham, mashed potatoes, salad and bread, glorious bread.  
  • Shrimp cocktail, duck, Brussels sprouts, scalloped potatoes, and a steamed chocolate gingerbread pudding with marmalade sauce. Can't wait!
  • lyndausvi said:
    kmmssg said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Cuisinart.  +Cuisinart® Griddler

DH asked for a Belgium waffle maker because ours waffle maker makes really sad, little waffles.   While looking I found that there are Belgium waffle plates fro the Cuisinart.  SCORE.  Plates are easier to store than another machine. 
    Had to double check mine.  It is a cuisinart but not that model.
  • Tonight we had my family over.  I usually make German Potato Salad but I overslept and didn't have time so it was pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, asparagus, salad and crescent rolls with cinnamon honey butter baked inside.

Tomorrow we're hosting FMIL's family (they rotate houses every year and we volunteered for this year).  However, they didn't want 'us kids' spending our money so I am providing the ham that my company gives me and FMIL and her sisters planned out what to bring to cover literally everything else.  Except FI has one vegetarian cousin so I'm making him a veggie pasta.  Oh and wine, I insisted on providing the wine (more for me than for anyone else haha).
  • Christmas is when I allow myself to eat fried chicken. I will be fixing a huge batch of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and garlic basil carrots. We have some friends coming over and I said "pajamas or comfy clothes are required ".

BF and I have 2 pajama brunches Christmas morning so we want to continue the theme. Our friends are 100% on board with the dress code.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited December 2015
    @ STARMOON44, I want that gingerbread pudding recipe!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are bringing mashed potatoes and salad for dinner tomorrow. Other people are making a ham, dessert, side dishes, etc. Tomorrow morning, we're having cinnamon rolls, eggs and bacon with friends.
  • so last night was Domino's.  Guess DH didn't have the time or space to make food for the staff, so that bought some 20 pizza's.  I had one piece.   By the end of the night I was starving.  Especially since I had to pack some 20 turkeys to go.

Can't wait for tonight's meal.  Or should I say 5 hours grazing fest.

• We all got Chinese food. I'm stuffed and went into a food coma.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Shrimp cocktail, garden salad, standing rib roast, mashed potatoes, carrots au gratin, rolls. - Dessert - cherry cheesecake, Friendly's ice cream roll, chocolate chip cookies and chocolate cake. I'm stuffed. The kitchen that was clean this a.m. is a mess and I'm too tired to do anything about it.

• Best batch of fried chicken yet. 5 people, 2 chickens and most of it got devoured. My friends left stuffed, happy and thanking me for telling them they might want to wear stretchy pants. Now for the clean up, but that's future me's problem.

• So our enchiladas failed. We (dad, DH, sister, and BIL) took the boat out for a ride on the lake on Saturday afternoon. We were ~15 miles from the house (parents live on the water) and on a part of the lake where there aren't many ramps. The engine suddenly died and we were stuck on the lake. Fortunately, we had phones and GPS and called my mom to come get us at the nearest boat ramp (which, thankfully, wasn't that far). We had a few paddles in the boat, so we paddled to shore where we waited for my mom to get us.

After that whole ordeal, our Christmas dinner ended up being carry out pizza. Oops.
  • Both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were appetizers/drinks with family and friends.  This is the first year that my mom didn't go all out on baking either, so no treats to tempt me either!

I'll still manage to gain some weight this holiday season though.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards