Chit Chat
Options

Christmas presents

At the risk of sounding materialistic, I love to see what kind of presents other people receive! If you are so inclined please share your gifts here :)

We'll be going to FIL's house in a bit so I'll have more to add, but here's what I got from FH:

• Box set of entire series of Seinfeld, WOOHOO! This was on our wedding registry so I'll have to take it off.
  • Bluray set of the first season of Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Embroidery scissors
  • Leather-bound journal
  • Two Joni Mitchell records
  • and $20 Starbucks gift card in my stocking, along with some candy and craft supplies!

FH strongly prefers practical gifts so he got from me:

• Pair of Sperry shoes with three pair low-cut socks
  • Three Duluth Trading Co long-sleeve t-shirts
  • Duluth Trading Co ear warmer band thing
  • His favorite Costco-brand underwear lol
  • Dress socks
  • Classic cars wall calendar
  • Bottle of Laphroig Scotch whisky
  • Various toiletries and candy in his stocking

We also exchange love letters on holidays.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Christmas presents

• Options
    Merry Christmas everyone! DH got me some Christmas-y wine glasses, some bubble bath, and a back massager.

ILs gave us cash, a cute Christmas throw pillow, chocolates, and other goodies.
  • Options
    I came "this" close to getting my son the Laphroig whiskey last Christmas.  In the eleventh hour, I went with the Elijah Craig 18 year at the recommendation of a friend.  Has your FH had either before?
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    I came "this" close to getting my son the Laphroig whiskey last Christmas.  In the eleventh hour, I went with the Elijah Craig 18 year at the recommendation of a friend.  Has your FH had either before?
    Yes, he has had the Laphroig (this was something he asked for) but I'm not sure about the other. I know why you're asking that question, though :D . Yes, it is a highly, highly, HIGHLY acquired taste. I will never acquire it. And I will not kiss him after he drinks it. The stuff REEKS.
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    Yes, he has had the Laphroig (this was something he asked for) but I'm not sure about the other. I know why you're asking that question, though :D . Yes, it is a highly, highly, HIGHLY acquired taste. I will never acquire it. And I will not kiss him after he drinks it. The stuff REEKS.

My "go to person for all things "spiritual" said that the Laphroig is surely worth the price tag and is boasted about with good reason. He called it, however,  a fairly "divisive" spirit. As Laphroig is one of the peatier (smokier) scotches around, he said its enjoyment hinges on the drinker's predilections towards Islay single malts.

He also suggested that if I wanted something with a less narrow appeal, I might consider a bottle of Macallan 12 year. 

In the end I am glad I went with his suggestion.  Your FH must have a strong constitution!

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    My FBIL and his girlfriend got me a Hogwarts alumni shirt and a Gryffindor cardigan. Ive been eyeing it forever but couldnt justify spending that much on myself. I was so excited I cried.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    We were pretty practical  this year.

Me to DH:

countertop ice maker . We do not have an ice maker and I hated having to buy ice for parties.  Plus, even though I rarely use ice and DH uses it all the time, it always seemed to be my "responsibility" to make ice.  So it might actually be a gift to myself   :tongue: 

Land's end shirt
    socks - 2 ski socks, 1 xmas 1 CO sock.
    Nestle quick gift set (cups, Rabbit spoons, 2 quicks)
    base layer shirt
    pizza paddle, stone and cutter
    waffle plates + a waffle spatula 
    pj bottoms
    Yeti tumbler
    grill light (hooks on to the handle)
    yearly bulldog daily calendar for his desk
    tabletop skeeball
    blanket

DH  to me:

LL Bean 3/4 length Pea Coat in my favorite purple
    ski hat (purple)
    VS - underware, pj's (yearly gift)
    VS sweater
    LL Bean cashmere sweater (wearing it now, so comfy)
    2 pullover shirts from LL Bean
    ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machine
    Wen hair care (although afraid to use it since the class action suit was filed)
    meatball scoop
    socks - lots of socks

We haven't received any gifts from family yet.  My sister said it will arrive tomorrow.   I'm guessing my parent's will too.  We do not exchange with my brothers/sils.   We do send $50 gift cards to all the nieces/nephews - even my SIL's nephews who now live with them, but we have never met).

DH's family is one sided.  We send gifts to his mom, but we do not get anything in return.   DH saw something his brother would like and sent it to him.  Not really a xmas gift, just happened to stumble on the gift in December.   

Off-topic - it's DUMPING snow right now.  A good 5 inches so far.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @Lyndausvi - did you get your waffles this morning?
  • Options
    kmmssg said:
    @Lyndausvi - did you get your waffles this morning?
    no    :cry: 

To be fair, DH's doctor put him on a low calorie diet last week.  We have people coming over for dinner so he is going to save his calories for tonight.      It's okay.  I understand.   Hard to make waffles for one.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    FI to me:
    Nice fur lined boots since it's not cold outside; maybe I'll get to wear them in New York next week
    New pair of running shoes
    Precious moments figurine
    Tickets to see Lion King on Broadway
    Diving equipment for when I finish dive training
    Canon EOS Rebel camera

Me to FI:
    Flannel lined jeans
    New pair of running shoes
    Fitbit Surge
    Zero gravity chair
    K-Cup coffees
    Teavana teas
    3 Xbox games
    Santa Clause DVD box set (his favorite holiday movies)

We make a memory book each year of what we've done and things that have happened. There's a section in the back of the book called "Things That Make You Go 'Hmmm'" and we put the call notes from the memorable calls that we get from work. There's one that says "caller states penis is stuck in zipper" and another that says "caller says someone is setting off 'fire balloons' on the beach." It's fun to go back and see some of the calls we've gone on; they're good to look at when we're having a bad day.

We had Christmas Eve with my mom's side of the family (and just finished Christmas brunch with them). He's at work, but we usually get a little something from my dad's side of the family at Christmas dinner. We'll be in New York with his family for New Year's so they're holding off on their family gathering until we get there next week.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2015
    @Lyndausvi My ILs are very obsessed with LLBean and would strongly approve of your gifts.

I gave H a pair of Nordic ski boots, LLBean slippers and a few smaller things.

H gave my parents a sweet bird house and we got them a snow globe with Philip Johnson's glass house inside.

He gave me a weekend away: downhill skiing, Nordic skiing or snowmobiling. I'm very excited about this.  I got a few pairs of warm, sporty colorful winter socks from ILs and a really nice Patagonia shell. Dad gave me an awesome dopp kit from Delta Airlines- he got it for free but I don't mind at all because it's sleek and perfectly sized.

Feeling the Christmas warmth and L O V E.  Hope you're all enjoying the holiday!

*edited for errors
  • Options
    DH and I didn't exchange anything this year. With the wedding being a few weeks away we wanted to save as much money as possible.

I asked my parents for cash to put towards the wedding and our move. But I received so many nice things too! Perfume, bath sets, a Disney's Tangled ornament, a Bob's Burgers figurine, my family crest framed, a candle, etc.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @hellohkb What date is your wedding?!  We got married in January too :)

• Options
    Me to DH: 

The Food Lab Book
    A wine connoisseur kit
    Van Heusen work socks
    Calvin Klein Belt
    Izod Polo Shirt

DH to me:
    MK watch gift set
    Pilates/Yoga gear
    Funko POP Jack Skellington
    Minions the movie
    Harley Quinn Keychain

From family we got shopping gift cards, some wood pot holders and clothes. 

• Options
    DH got me a new purse (yay! I needed a new one), and the Hunger Games book set.

I got DH a leather cuff links box and pajama pants. 

Among some smaller items and clothing, we also received a crock pot (*fist pump*) and gift certificate to a winery+inn for a night away. 

We were also married in January (the 4th), so I may see if we can use the night away GC for our anniversary. 
  • Options

January 23rd :) When is your anniversary?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    @Lyndausvi My ILs are very obsessed with LLBean and would strongly approve of your gifts.

We are fairly big LL Bean people.    I love my 850 jacket I got 2 years ago. The peacoat is comfy and warm too.   DH loves their shirts and his winter coat from them.  It's the first time I've received one of their sweaters.   I definitely love the cashmere one.  It was so comfy. Might have to get another one.

My sister use to live in Maine. It's been a while, but use to love going to their flagship store in Freeport.  

• Options
    We do secret Santa between the siblings / spouses in our family. My sister got me 3 coloring books. Jackpot! :)
  • Options
    DH was super awesome. I think he knew I was in a super emotional state and he went overboard. I got a new purse, watch, heated massagingredients chair cover for my desk chair and a slicer /shredder attachment for the kitchen aid. Plus a blanket scarf.

It wasn't about the gifts but that he was really into pleasing me knowing the last six weeks have had me emotional that really got to me. So I cried into his bathrobe. He got the Motorola 360 2nd gen, peanut butter cups (gourmet ones) and a Star Wars T-shirt that says "I KNOW"
  • Options
    MW gave me and my Mother tix to see a concert together next month. She is the FT caretaker for my nearly 92-yo Grandmother who lives with her and her husband, so she rarely gets out. Now she gets to get away for an evening and night away (we live 2 hours from her) to see one of her fav singers. The venue is an hour drive from us, so he got us a hotel room to stay the night. He pretty much won all of the MIL brownie points.

He's actually getting me a dining room table, but we haven't picked one out yet.
  • Options
    Well DH and I wereally supposed to have a $30 limit because this is the first year we wereally able to buy gifts for everyone in our family. We would both rather buy gifts for them than spend money from our joint account on us.

Well DH didn't listen and got me the new Ninja Coffee bar! I love it so far. He also got me a beautiful pottery coffee mug, airplane bottles, and sour patch kids

I got him clippers to trim his beard but can also cut his hair. I put bullets for his AR, Reeses, and airplane bottles in his stocking.

My dad got me a new Bulova watch and DH's mom got my diploma framed. We both got lots of nice things from family!

@hellohkb @vikinganna87 Mine and DH's anniversary is tomorrow so we did very little last year. We decided not to do presents for our anniversary because we're going on a trip to Charleston I think in January! Tomorrow we're going to eat BBQ and then go to a fancy movie theatre for lunch then grill out for supper. We'll also eat our cake and drink champagne from the wedding.

• Options
    @lyndausvi, how'd your husband like the Yeti?
  • Options
    @lyndausvi, how'd your husband like the Yeti?
    He loves it.   Been brining it to the work every night.

• Options
    DH got me some new candles, a travel coffee mug that keeps drinks hot for 12 hours (tried it today and it was awesome), and a subscription to US Weekly.

MIL just got me a bunch of toiletry stocking stuffer type things, a wedding ornament, and a visa gift card.

My parents went overboard as usual. Mixing bowls, CamelPak, boots, some clothes, and gift cards.
  • Options
    Got a pair of cute boots from my dad (we draw names in my family, my dad got me but my mom ordered them, :p ). H and I got each other new hunting knives because we lost ours in an accident during our last hunt.
  • Options
    A belated Merry Christmas everyone!
    DH and I don't really do gifts anymore. He's impossible to shop for and we'd rather save the money for experiences anyway. But, his mom got me an adult coloring book, my parents got me a fluffy, plush bathrobe and my sister got me the Pitch Perfect DVDs. So I am really enjoying lazing around!
    You should have seen the looks on extended family's faces when my MIL mentioned the adult coloring book. They were thinking penises and boobs rather than paisley and birds.

• Options
    My FI and I didn't do presents this year as well so that we could save a little extra for the wedding and honeymoon coming up in a few months. We mostly gave out gift cards to our families this year, which I wasn't super excited about, but we know they at least will enjoy spending them! 

From family I received the Kate Spade polar bear ring I had been drooling over for the past month and a half, an Alexis Bittar necklace, and an Alex and Ani bracelet. Can you tell I like jewelry? :wink: 

• Options
    vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2015
    hellohkb said:

January 23rd :) When is your anniversary?
    Our anniversary is the 24th :)  Congratulations to you and to us!
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

...We decided not to do presents for our anniversary because we're going on a trip to Charleston I think in January! Tomorrow we're going to eat BBQ and then go to a fancy movie theatre for lunch then grill out for supper. We'll also eat our cake and drink champagne from the wedding.
    Happy Anniversary, @emmaaa !  Trip to Charleston sounds heavenly; what a beautiful place.  Sounds like you had a great celebration over the weekend too!

• Options
    Love all the posts :) 

At my FILs' house, FH got a beard trimmer kit (which had a rusty blade... will be returning...) and jointly we got a laser printer, money to Target, and pool toys and towels. I got some earrings and a gift card to Ulta.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards