Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Should we register at all?

We moved to a different country recently and its too far for most of our guests? Wedding registers are not the normal thing in this country...should we register in our former country for our friends there that aren't coming? is that wrong?

Re: Should we register at all?

• Options

We moved to a different country recently and its too far for most of our guests? Wedding registers are not the normal thing in this country...should we register in our former country for our friends there that aren't coming? is that wrong?

Are the majority of your guests located in a country where registering is the norm? Is your wedding going to be in the country where you now live?

I wouldn't register just "for the friends that aren't coming".

If you do register, be mindful of the shipping costs and if your guests will be able to ship to you there. Some online registries require a ship-to address in that country.
  • Options
    The majority of our guests are going to be in the country we live in now as it is a looong way to travel (different continent)...and having a wedding registry is not normal in this country. In this country guests basically buy whatever they want...so you most times you end up with 3 cookers or 7 sets of wine glasses.

I would be registering in the country where I lived before...where it is expected that you have a wedding register.
  • Options

The majority of our guests are going to be in the country we live in now as it is a looong way to travel (different continent)...and having a wedding registry is not normal in this country. In this country guests basically buy whatever they want...so you most times you end up with 3 cookers or 7 sets of wine glasses.

I would be registering in the country where I lived before...where it is expected that you have a wedding register.

I wouldn't bother to register if the majority of the persons expected to use the registry are not likely to attend your wedding and would be paying for shipping overseas, especially if you are not going to live in the country where registering is expected.
  • Options
    I guess I'm still a little confused.  You say the majority of your guests are going to be in the country you're in now, but then you say you want to register in your previous country for those people there who aren't coming?  Are they not coming because they aren't invited?  Or are they invited, but you aren't anticipating a high number of favorable responses?  

Personally, I've maybe only given a gift once when I wasn't attending the wedding.  Most people in my circle don't send gifts when we aren't attending the wedding.  We may send a congratulations card, but that's about it.  I would just skip the registry.  Anyone who wants to get you a gift that badly is likely to just send money to let you buy what you want instead of risking international shipping.

• Options
    I wouldn't register. Shipping costs are likely to be crazy. If someone really wants to send you a gift, they will, or they'll send you cash/cheque. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards