Wedding Woes
Options

Um...what IS the right answer?

Dear Prudence,
The last time my husband’s brother and his family were visiting, my husband scraped his brother’s car with his, causing minimal paint damage. My brother-in-law asked us to get repair quotes; the bumper would have to be pulled off and repainted entirely for over $700. My husband wasn’t thrilled, but it was his fault, so we sent a check. My in-laws cashed the check but then decided not to fix their car, which is a work vehicle, since “it’ll probably just get more dings and dents.” My husband is furious and wants them to give us our money back. I don’t think that’s necessarily the right answer, but I’m at a loss.

–Twice Dinged

Re: Um...what IS the right answer?

• Options
    Because this is a work vehicle, I might feel differently than if it were a personal vehicle.  If it were a personal vehicle, I think they get the money and can do whatever they want with it.  Then if they pocket it and don't fix it, it all comes out of the car's value so it's a wash anyway.  (I.e. they "pay" when they sell the car and get less for it.)  However, I know work vehicles can be treated somewhat differently, depending on the lease agreement and whatever other paperwork the employee has to sign.  All of our sales managers have company cars, and they're liable if they back into a pole or something, but not for minor dings/dents/scratches.  If that's the case with the brother, then I think it's super shady to be compensated for something that isn't really any cost to him.

• Options
    You know, it's one thing to do this when the money is coming from a stranger or insurance company, but a relative, no.  If they didn't fix it, they shouldn't keep the cash. 
  • Options
    Lesson learned - ask for a bill/receipt from the place that fixed it and cut a check...  Ultimately it was their choice not to fix it...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards