Wedding Etiquette Forum

FSIL Makeup

My FSIL is in the makeup industry. I asked her her for professional makeup artist contacts, but instead, My FSIL offered her own services. She's very talented, so I happily accepted. In fact, the only reason I didn't ask her to do my makeup in the first place, was because she's in the wedding, and I wasn't sure if she'd have the time. She told me not to worry about that...she'll bring a friend to help.  My question is, how do I handle the payment? Would I treat my FSIL like a normal vendor? 

Re: FSIL Makeup

• Yes, I would treat her like a normal vendor payment-wise unless she tells you otherwise.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yep, normal vendor. Unless she offered it as a gift (which she may do anyway) best to assume you would be paying her whatever you had planned to pay her contacts.

• Treat her like a vendor.  At some point (a few months before the wedding) ask her how much her services will be from her and her friend.  It will give the opening for her to say it's a gift or to provide their rates.  I would not assume the services are free until she says something to you.  And while your FSIL may not accept it, be prepared to tip both FSIL and her friend.
  • I would treat her as a vendor as well.
  • Thanks, ladies! 
  • Not all make up artists are created equal.  The fee your FSIL charges may differ from that of her friend, so make sure to be specific.  If you plan on having a trial application, make sure to determine whether or not that cost is included in the quoted fee.  You may want to discuss and decide whether you are more comfortable having your FSIL or her friend apply your make up.  Do you have additional BM's or family members that may or may not want their make up applied?  You will need to determine the time frame to accommodate any additional people beyond yourself.
  • MobKaz said:
    Not all make up artists are created equal.  The fee your FSIL charges may differ from that of her friend, so make sure to be specific.  If you plan on having a trial application, make sure to determine whether or not that cost is included in the quoted fee.  You may want to discuss and decide whether you are more comfortable having your FSIL or her friend apply your make up.  Do you have additional BM's or family members that may or may not want their make up applied?  You will need to determine the time frame to accommodate any additional people beyond yourself.
    Good point! I will definitely need to confirm her friend's fees, and if any of my BMs or family members want their makeup done. I have awhile...my wedding is not until May 2017, but when discussing the nuptials with my FSIL, the topic of makeup came up, she offered, and I said yes. ☺️
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards