Wedding Woes

This friend is no friend at all

Dear Prudence,
I was badly injured in a car accident 18 months ago, and I am still in pain, unemployed, in foreclosure, and in danger of having my car repossessed, all while attempting to take care of my dying father. I now live in a trailer with no heat and am having trouble getting on food stamps. My friend, “Shelly,” is a stay-at-home wife whose husband earns a six-figure income. She is a really nice person, but she calls me every day to complain about being “broke” because she has to wait until her husband’s next paycheck to go shopping. She knows my financial situation, but she still shows off the expensive presents he buys her every time I visit. She gives me coupons to stores I can’t even afford to shop in. Talking to her drops me into a deep depression. She’s the only person who actually calls to check on me, but at the same time, she’s so insensitive about my situation that my heart rate shoots up when I see her number on my phone. What would you suggest that I do or say to stop this vicious cycle of being treated like a charity case?
–No More Coupons

Re: This friend is no friend at all

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards