Wedding Woes

The dogs can't be left for a couple hours?

Dear Prudence,
My wife and I recently invited our extended family for an open house cocktail hour. We received a call from my uncle informing us that they would be bringing their pets (four dogs, including a puppy), but not to worry because they are all “house-broken.” Our family has no pets, and my 4-year-old son is nervous around dogs. I reminded my cousin that the invitation did not include animals, but if they had to bring their dogs along, we were happy to have the dogs stay in our fenced backyard. This did not go over well, and my uncle told me not to expect any guests that day from the family. Was I wrong? I feel terrible and actually love dogs (just not inside my house when I am hosting dozens of people).
–Really Dog-Friendly

Re: The dogs can't be left for a couple hours?

• Who just announces that they're showing up with uninvited guests?   I don't care if it's four dogs including a puppy or four children including a toddler, the hosts are the ones in charge.

How does Uncle function on a day to day basis?   How would they handle attending a wedding or funeral where the pets aren't even allowed?   Dude needs to get a handle on his entitlement. 
  • I adore dogs and love my dogs.  I have never ever once taken them to anyone's house, much less "informed" someone I was bringing them.  LW is not in any sort of wrong here.
  • Uncle is a dope and the writer did the right thing.  Besides, who would want to subject their dogs to a strange house full of people they don't know?
  • WTF?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ugh - Hostess is right - not the people who can't figure out "you can leave your dog at home!"

• This is so inconsiderate. Those dogs would never have made it into my house. I have severe allergies. Seriously who just informs people they're bringing over their pets, they have no idea if people can handle having animals around. 
  • I have an aunt that is the type to take her dog everywhere.  But, she typically is okay with leaving her dog at home if told he isn't welcome.  Although, she did skip Christmas with her kids & grandkids this year (my uncle went without her) because her dog is getting too old to travel and she didn't want to leave him alone or board him for a day.  

• I have an aunt that is the type to take her dog everywhere.  But, she typically is okay with leaving her dog at home if told he isn't welcome.  Although, she did skip Christmas with her kids & grandkids this year (my uncle went without her) because her dog is getting too old to travel and she didn't want to leave him alone or board him for a day.  
    MIL had to "break it" to her sister that sis was welcome to bring her purse dog with her on the plane to their mother's funeral but said dog wasn't going to be welcome in the church or at the restaurant.   And the only reason why the dog could get away with being in the funeral home is that it's a family business.     Sis had to come to grips with the concept that not everyone wants to see little princess. 
  • MIL and sFIL are getting a new dog tomorrow.  I'm not going to be surprised if they skip Max's birthday party because of the dog.
  • Our across the hall neighbors knocked on our door one night (like 10pm) begging if we could watch their dog the next day for TWO HOURS while the girl was out having a meeting (she's a SAH-dog-mom) bc he was going to be OOT for work and their dog sitter couldn't make it.... Bc the dog has NEVER BEEN LEFT ALONE!!!!!!!

Batshit crazy, yo.

We did get a nice bottle of wine for two hours of dog sitting, though.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards